Proper foam thickness/material/adhesive for headliner replacement? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Trich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Proper foam thickness/material/adhesive for headliner replacement?

Prepping for headliner replacement on my GTV. I have read virtually all of the threads here regarding the subject, but there appear to be different approaches taken by folks when choosing the materials for the job. Some are using adhesive-backed closed cell foam for the roof, others are using open cell foam and gluing, etc... Also I'm seeing different foam thicknesses discussed, as well. I suppose my main questions at this point are:

1. What is the proper foam thickness for the roof and also the recessed portion of the roof?

2. Is the adhesive used on closed cell self sticking foam resilient enough to withstand super high heat in warm climates? I'm assuming a dedicated industrial style adhesive would be 'stickier'...

3. For adhesive type, is it better to go with spray or brush-on? What is a proven brand/type of adhesive that is most effective for headliners?

Thanks in advance!

Adam in Nashville: '72 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 - '86 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - '74 BMW 2002tii - '90 BMW E30/S52 - '05 BMW X5 - '06 BMW 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 AM

I will stop short of saying what I did was "proper" as I can't say for sure what was originally done at the factory. What I will say is that I'm happy with the final result.

Foam: I used 1/2 foam for the recessed portion over the back seat. Around the sides, C-pillars, etc... I used 1/4" and then used a razor blade at the edges to feather it down a bit. I used 1/8" foam around the perimeter of the rectangular frame that inserts into the recessed portion.

For glue I used Dap Landau contact adhesive, this stuff is specifically designed for headliners and such. When gluing the foam to the recessed area I sprayed it on with a gun similar to what you'd use for painting a car body. When gluing around the door and window frames I brushed it on.

Hopefully that helps.

Tom
Attached Images

RenaissanceMan and cuorealfa like this.

My "rejuvenation" blog: http://65tomfoolery.wordpress.com
'65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT, a long way to go still….

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode