What really is a 1970 GTV that was imported to Canada? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
howieb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Beverly Hills, MI
Posts: 552
What really is a 1970 GTV that was imported to Canada?

Trying to figure out how to chronicle how a 1970 1750 GTV that was shipped to Canada was built. I may want to restore/repair/replace parts on my car and would really like to know if there was a standard build sheet on these vehicles. It's really a hybrid of a 69 and 71 but still unique.

So here is what mine has...
Twin weber 40s
Hanging pedals
Front body mounted turn signals
Single brake booster with MC
1971 seat pattern(not flying buttresses)
tapered window winders
arm rests with silver trim strip
Unique door card patterns with vertical stripes(?)
single turn signal indicator on dash
I think it came with a 2 port waterpump, but now has a three port after a nightmare trying to order the correct version.
small red/yellow tail lights
air intake cannister with long snorkel reaching almost from of engine bay
Oil cartridge, not a screw on type. Hate it. No way to easily remove cartridge without spilling oil

And does the fact that the 1970 wasn't sold in the US make it more valuable than a 69? I've seen many pics of a 1970 and they all seem to be a bit different. Single verse dual brake boosters/ spica vs. weber.

I have ordered replacement parts from all the usual US supply house and there is always a hesitation from the guy on the phone when I say I have a 1970.

HB

Howie
1970 1750 GTV
howieb4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
1750GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 3,375
Garage
Quoting the year of manufacture can be confusing for sure....what is your car's chassis #?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
1750GT is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
brad fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,315
Garage
I have basically the same car. I call them S2 1750 GTV Euro/CDN GTV. Euro car with English gauges and LHD. I owned 2 of these and have owned this one since the early 80s, seen quite a few more like it over the years. You should call me some time. Pm me if you like.

PS You can also call it the best GTV variant.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
brad fischer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
Schuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 334
Garage
Sounds like mine. It’s a 1970 titled as a ‘71
Attached Images
   
brad fischer likes this.

''Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines"- Enzo Ferrari
"Back in my day, tires were skinny and the drivers were fat"- Fangio
Schuey is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Registered User
 
kengta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,386
kengta

Quote:
Originally Posted by howieb4 View Post
Trying to figure out how to chronicle how a 1970 1750 GTV that was shipped to Canada was built. I may want to restore/repair/replace parts on my car and would really like to know if there was a standard build sheet on these vehicles. It's really a hybrid of a 69 and 71 but still unique.

So here is what mine has...
Twin weber 40s
Hanging pedals
Front body mounted turn signals
Single brake booster with MC
1971 seat pattern(not flying buttresses)
tapered window winders
arm rests with silver trim strip
Unique door card patterns with vertical stripes(?)
single turn signal indicator on dash
I think it came with a 2 port waterpump, but now has a three port after a nightmare trying to order the correct version.
small red/yellow tail lights
air intake cannister with long snorkel reaching almost from of engine bay
Oil cartridge, not a screw on type. Hate it. No way to easily remove cartridge without spilling oil

And does the fact that the 1970 wasn't sold in the US make it more valuable than a 69? I've seen many pics of a 1970 and they all seem to be a bit different. Single verse dual brake boosters/ spica vs. weber.

I have ordered replacement parts from all the usual US supply house and there is always a hesitation from the guy on the phone when I say I have a 1970.

HB
It's not a hybrid. It's a Canadian spec 1970 and 1971 GTV. They are basically a LHD Euro spec 1750 GTV with English gauges. They were built for the Canadian market. In 1971 the Canadian dealers offered both Canadian spec and USA spec cars. This was the first and last year that the 1750 FI model was offered in Canada.

In my opinion, in the north American market, the 69 Canadian spec GTV IS the most desirable because of seat and carbs.


Ken
kengta is online now  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:08 AM
Registered User
 
brad fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,315
Garage
Ken, I think Canada could get US or Euro-spec as early as 1969. My father's 69 was US-spec was ordered from Alfa Rexdale Canada.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
brad fischer is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA and Melbourne, Aus.
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
I have basically the same car. I call them S2 1750 GTV Euro/CDN GTV. Euro car with English gauges and LHD. I owned 2 of these and have owned this one since the early 80s, seen quite a few more like it over the years. You should call me some time. Pm me if you like.

PS You can also call it the best GTV variant.
Yep, pick of the non-GTA 105 coupes.
brad fischer and james2000 like this.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
Aggie57 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:48 AM
Registered User
 
kengta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
Ken, I think Canada could get US or Euro-spec as early as 1969. My father's 69 was US-spec was ordered from Alfa Rexdale Canada.
Brad that maybe as you have the proof but you use the word ordered. USA 69 in Canada were certainly not common and could have been ordered but not offered off the dealers lot.

Ken

Last edited by kengta; 07-16-2019 at 07:07 AM.
kengta is online now  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 AM
Registered User
 
brad fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,315
Garage
Dear Mister Fischer,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1530747 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 25th October 1969 and sold on the 20th November 1969 to Alfa Romeo Rexdale from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The body colour is "cava" beige (AR 821), with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,
Marco Fazio
Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
Archivio Storico

Antonio Magro

Ken, My choice of wording may have been misleading. This is cut and paste from Archivio Storico.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
brad fischer is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
howieb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Beverly Hills, MI
Posts: 552
My use of the word "hybrid" was pure poetic license. I do know the 1970 was a manufactured car on its own. I just always looked at it as a mix of the best of the 69 and 71. "Best" is also subjective, especially when comparing webers/spica, buttress/non-buttress seats, etc.

Rossano, I do have a letter from Elvira stating the car was built in March of 1970. And it is wearing a 10544 plate under the hood.

Brad, our cars must be sisters. I bought it in Cambridge but the paperwork from the OMV(?) showed four other owners from all over Ontario.

Howie
1970 1750 GTV
howieb4 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:56 AM
Registered User
 
brad fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,315
Garage
My GTV was made July 4 1970. I had another Red GTV made in about December 1969 that was 1375099. It was 99 GTVs after the change from S1 to S2 Euro/CDN/LHD. Did you put your car on the GTV register on the ABB?

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
brad fischer is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Registered User
 
kengta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
Dear Mister Fischer,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1530747 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 25th October 1969 and sold on the 20th November 1969 to Alfa Romeo Rexdale from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The body colour is "cava" beige (AR 821), with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,
Marco Fazio
Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
Archivio Storico

Antonio Magro

Ken, My choice of wording may have been misleading. This is cut and paste from Archivio Storico.
Brad, this info from AR is not in and of itself inconsistent with what I said. It could have been a special order. But if someone knows that 69 USA 1750 GTVs were sitting on Canadian dealer's lots ready for purchase I would be happy to learn that. Very late in model year build date and sale to importer, btw.

Ken
kengta is online now  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered User
 
kengta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
My GTV was made July 4 1970. I had another Red GTV made in about December 1969 that was 1375099. It was 99 GTVs after the change from S1 to S2 Euro/CDN/LHD. Did you put your car on the GTV register on the ABB?

I have put some of my cars on the register. There have been a few through my hands and not all made it there I'm afraid. Maybe I should look through my records and submit what I can find.

k

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
kengta is online now  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered User
 
brad fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,315
Garage
I had been to many Alfa dealers in 1969, but I was only 8 years old at that time, so those details were not important to me. So I respect your knowledge and opinions.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
brad fischer is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Registered User
 
brad fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,315
Garage
Toronto Alfa Dealer circa 1969

Two Euro/CDN and 1 USA spec.
Attached Images
 

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
brad fischer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome