Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What really is a 1970 GTV that was imported to Canada?

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  brad fischer 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out how to chronicle how a 1970 1750 GTV that was shipped to Canada was built. I may want to restore/repair/replace parts on my car and would really like to know if there was a standard build sheet on these vehicles. It's really a hybrid of a 69 and 71 but still unique.

So here is what mine has...
Twin weber 40s
Hanging pedals
Front body mounted turn signals
Single brake booster with MC
1971 seat pattern(not flying buttresses)
tapered window winders
arm rests with silver trim strip
Unique door card patterns with vertical stripes(?)
single turn signal indicator on dash
I think it came with a 2 port waterpump, but now has a three port after a nightmare trying to order the correct version.
small red/yellow tail lights
air intake cannister with long snorkel reaching almost from of engine bay
Oil cartridge, not a screw on type. Hate it. No way to easily remove cartridge without spilling oil

And does the fact that the 1970 wasn't sold in the US make it more valuable than a 69? I've seen many pics of a 1970 and they all seem to be a bit different. Single verse dual brake boosters/ spica vs. weber.

I have ordered replacement parts from all the usual US supply house and there is always a hesitation from the guy on the phone when I say I have a 1970.

HB

See less See more
#3 ·
I have basically the same car. I call them S2 1750 GTV Euro/CDN GTV. Euro car with English gauges and LHD. I owned 2 of these and have owned this one since the early 80s, seen quite a few more like it over the years. You should call me some time. Pm me if you like.

PS You can also call it the best GTV variant.

#4 ·
Sounds like mine. It’s a 1970 titled as a ‘71

Attachments

Reactions: brad fischer
#5 ·
kengta

It's not a hybrid. It's a Canadian spec 1970 and 1971 GTV. They are basically a LHD Euro spec 1750 GTV with English gauges. They were built for the Canadian market. In 1971 the Canadian dealers offered both Canadian spec and USA spec cars. This was the first and last year that the 1750 FI model was offered in Canada.

In my opinion, in the north American market, the 69 Canadian spec GTV IS the most desirable because of seat and carbs.

Ken

#8 · (Edited)
Brad that maybe as you have the proof but you use the word ordered. USA 69 in Canada were certainly not common and could have been ordered but not offered off the dealers lot.

Ken

#9 ·
Dear Mister Fischer,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1530747 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 25th October 1969 and sold on the 20th November 1969 to Alfa Romeo Rexdale from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The body colour is "cava" beige (AR 821), with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,
Marco Fazio
Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
Archivio Storico

Antonio Magro

Ken, My choice of wording may have been misleading. This is cut and paste from Archivio Storico.

#12 ·
Brad, this info from AR is not in and of itself inconsistent with what I said. It could have been a special order. But if someone knows that 69 USA 1750 GTVs were sitting on Canadian dealer's lots ready for purchase I would be happy to learn that. Very late in model year build date and sale to importer, btw.

Ken

#10 ·
My use of the word "hybrid" was pure poetic license. I do know the 1970 was a manufactured car on its own. I just always looked at it as a mix of the best of the 69 and 71. "Best" is also subjective, especially when comparing webers/spica, buttress/non-buttress seats, etc.

Rossano, I do have a letter from Elvira stating the car was built in March of 1970. And it is wearing a 10544 plate under the hood.

Brad, our cars must be sisters. I bought it in Cambridge but the paperwork from the OMV(?) showed four other owners from all over Ontario.

#11 ·
My GTV was made July 4 1970. I had another Red GTV made in about December 1969 that was 1375099. It was 99 GTVs after the change from S1 to S2 Euro/CDN/LHD. Did you put your car on the GTV register on the ABB?

#13 ·
I have put some of my cars on the register. There have been a few through my hands and not all made it there I'm afraid. Maybe I should look through my records and submit what I can find.

k

#18 · (Edited)
I recall only being at 1 Alfa Dealer in 1969. (Alfa really wasn't on my radar then) It was in Vancouver at Fred Deeley Motors. The GT was red with a white Biscione on the hood. For years I thought it was a 69 GTV but now older and wiser I wonder if it was a GTAj. GTAj was offered in Canada, most likely on special order.

Where is it today??

Ken

#19 · (Edited)
Reputation Tuning

Two Euro/CDN and 1 USA spec.
In 1970 or 71 I bought a used 1969 Volvo 123 GT at Reputation Tuning. The doctor who owned the Volvo had traded it for an Alfa GTV. My sales man was Rex Pell as I recall. I also think John Demaria worked at Reputation for a while.

k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.