Alfarrari, Home Built 105/Ferrari video build - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

Seriously, how much different are the weight and dimensions of a Ferrari V8 compared to a Montreal V8 stuffed into the same 105 chassis? Other than vented front rotors and an oil cooler for the rear axle, no significant changes were made to the 105 chassis to house the Montreal V8, which adds over 500 pounds to a GTV chassis.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
I remember reading (in here somewhere) that early Hilux or Corolla steering racks are a good fit, bolted to the back of (a strengthened) crossmember.. again, its the routing of exhausts (and intakes) thats going to need the most creative thoughts
I will try to use the original box if I have the room, but I am not going to hold my breath

Backyard hack car builder with a YouTube channel
youtube.com/homebuiltbyjeff
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Built by J View Post
I will try to use the original box if I have the room, but I am not going to hold my breath
Just set it aside and use a rack. The Burman steering box in these cars (after rust) is their achilles heel. There is a lot of threads on here about cracked boxes (Al casting), anecdotally blaming extra loads being put through them (205 tyres instead of 155.. old age, etc). Whatever the reason, they do seem to develop cracks.

You will free up considerable room for the exhaust by removing the box and its idler (other side).
Home Built by J likes this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I am keen to see how others have gone changing over to racks. I have done some searches on here, but if anyone has a link it would be great.

post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Garage
You can thank ColinB for the steering solution:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-...ml#post5917817

PS. Note that this thread should be moved to the 'Engine Conversion' section!

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!

Last edited by Sketchl; 07-11-2019 at 11:00 PM.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 PM

My first post guys and this is a dream build but I'm going in a modest and different direction. Horse power is not my thing but modesty and some originality will be my goal.Once I finsh my current restoration, my idea is to fit a series 1 (215hp)Thema 8.32/ Mondial T engine into an Alfa 75 as I believe the V8 will fit comfortably in the engine bay as measurement were taken and supplied by a forum member who remembers this kind of project about 10yrs ago with fitting an 8.32 in a 105 but never saw the results. My aim is to keep the weight, sixe, ltr capacity and hp to 10%above law requires in NSW so as to not have engineers certification and a street legal beast with a serious growl to the engine. The flat plane crank in the 360 will make the 105 scream..... Bring it on I say.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
You can thank ColinB for the steering solution:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-...ml#post5917817

PS. Note that this thread should be moved to the 'Engine Conversion' section!
Fantastic. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targhettaflorio View Post
My first post guys and this is a dream build but I'm going in a modest and different direction. Horse power is not my thing but modesty and some originality will be my goal.Once I finsh my current restoration, my idea is to fit a series 1 (215hp)Thema 8.32/ Mondial T engine into an Alfa 75 as I believe the V8 will fit comfortably in the engine bay as measurement were taken and supplied by a forum member who remembers this kind of project about 10yrs ago with fitting an 8.32 in a 105 but never saw the results. My aim is to keep the weight, sixe, ltr capacity and hp to 10%above law requires in NSW so as to not have engineers certification and a street legal beast with a serious growl to the engine. The flat plane crank in the 360 will make the 105 scream..... Bring it on I say.
I have never heard of 10% rule in NSW, and I think it may be one of these old wives tales told amongst mates, but generally you could do what you like in a classic and it will more than likely never get noticed. As far as I know if you want to do it all legally, if you do any engine conversion at all it needs to be signed off by an engineer, just to ensure that everything is to a safe standard.

My Datsun has minor period mods with an engine that looks identical to the original and was available in the same chassis in the US (it's 2.8 instead of the 2.4 or 2.6 they came with in Aus). It still needed to be engineered. If I wasn't doing everything so publicly I probably would have just driven it as it was. Engineering is cheap piece of mind so that if you do get pulled over you don't need to worry about that yellow sticker
horsewidower likes this.

post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
Unfortunately excessive power doesn't necessarily mean more fun in a 105!

The best thing about any car is trying to find the ultimate balance between, weight, balance, power, grip, handling and braking....etc.
Similar to a spoked wheel, if you have a few longer spokes the wheel becomes oval and you'll be forever chasing balance.

Pity we never seem to hear back from any of the chaps with their converted SR20 turbo engined 105's saying how good it is to drive and they've got lighter engines.

Don't get me wrong, anyone can do what they **** well like with their dream car but just be aware of the consequences as these 105's main advantage on the road/track was their handling and awesome power to weight balance.

.......anyway my analogy is boring too most who only read about cars so I'd say go the 'Alfarrari' for the entertainment factor.
It is very possible to balance a high power light weight car, you just have to think hard about the entire car, not just adding power. There are 500hp LS Powered Miatas that actually are very balanced, but they require a well-built cage (usually with bracing into the engine bay), very wide sticky tires (wide body or huge flares), thoughtful gear ratios, big brakes, and a lot of thought into the suspension. There are also 500hp Miatas that are undriveable tire smoke machines. It's all in the execution.

One thing that helps with a Ferrari motor (as opposed to an Amercian v8) is that these aren't super torquey motors and should have pretty linear power delivery. You won't be caught off guard by the power.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tyson View Post
Seriously, how much different are the weight and dimensions of a Ferrari V8 compared to a Montreal V8 stuffed into the same 105 chassis? Other than vented front rotors and an oil cooler for the rear axle, no significant changes were made to the 105 chassis to house the Montreal V8, which adds over 500 pounds to a GTV chassis.....
Jim Neal / papajam did some checking on this years ago and the engine bay and cross member on a Montreal have different part numbers, and the track is about 2" wider than a 1750 105. I've asked this same question myself.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/eng...nto-105-a.html

1967 1600 Spider
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I have already worked out brakes. As for the chassis, I will be running a half cage and I will be reinforcing it all over. I also have the guidance of Tim Doyle who has been restoring 105's for 30 years and he is already assisting me on the weak points of the chassis, etc. Suspension is something I have not completely ironed out yet, but I will be looking into the best ways to get this little thing to handle well. The 360 V8 is not actually that big compared to a lot of V8's out there and I am looking forward to seeing what the actual weight difference is.

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Thanks Vivace, interesting threads. Can now understand this build with Tim Doyle’s interest with V8 transplants! Actually come to think about it Zoo did have 105 drag car with a Chevy v8 in his yard when i visited once.....

Last edited by Sketchl; 07-12-2019 at 03:18 PM.
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Built by J View Post
...but I will be looking into the best ways to get this little thing to handle well. The 360 V8 is not actually that big compared to a lot of V8's out there and I am looking forward to seeing what the actual weight difference is.
Put it in the middle with the transaxle you didn't buy! Perfect balance!

1967 1600 Spider
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Put it in the middle with the transaxle you didn't buy! Perfect balance!
Actually with all the weight behind the rear axle on the Ferrari transaxle and a mid mounted engine, I think it would have trouble keeping the front on the ground

post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Garage
This project could become the ultimate AR105 drift car.......some inspiration!

spydaman and Home Built by J like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode