Scissor mech rollers - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Scissor mech rollers

This afternoon I thought I would investigate why my window is very stiff when initially unwinding the window. I think it is due the front roller having warn completely.
Has anyone replaced these before, can they be bought ?

Many thanks

Late 67 Step front GT1300 Jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Best not to assume anything initially. First take a closer look at the condition of the mechanism and window tracks. Clean out all dirt and grease trapped in the tracks and or the guides and apply only teflon type lubrication. If that does not resolve the issue....your next plan of attack should be to remove the mechanism from the door and thoroughly examine the roller spring washers. The plastic rollers are not available as far as I know.....but they could be easily machined out of delrin or nylon bar stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

1750GT, thanks for responding, I think best option is to remove and completely clean and re-grease the mech, if that fails then roller fabrication the next step.
I noticed the felt from the runners were missing, and the plate that attaches the handle to the door had 2 busted rivets so a useful exercise in any case.

I assume rollers will need to be drilled out, I believe they are riveted in ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:30 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin4963 View Post
...I assume rollers will need to be drilled out, I believe they are riveted in ?
The rollers are secured to the mechanism arms with shoulder rivets that are peened into csk holes drilled in the arms. One option for re-installation would be to MIG weld the partially drilled out portion (of the rivet) to the arm. This of course would need to be done quickly & carefully so as not to melt the plastic roller. Second option would be to drill & tap the existing rivet for a countersunk screw. Third option (the one I opted for was to machine a new rivet and peen that into position as was done originally. However....I only went this route because I completely replated all the pieces of the mechanisms and therefore needed to disassemble everything completely....you may not need to go this route if the rivets are rust free and only need to be cleaned out thoroughly.

Name:  riv o1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  riv 02.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  115.2 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 1750GT; 07-14-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

I decided to take all furniture off the door and have a good clean up.....I have not degreased the mech at all...as other have said if its working fine leave well enough alone....even if I was tempted to remove the surface rust from the spring.

Sure enough I found that one of the washers on the spring roller has disintegrated.
I have no intention of drilling the rollers out as the window seems to slide fine now I have cleared all of the old grease out.
I guess my only option is to spilt a nylon washer and fit it by slipping around the rivet......but will it make that much of a difference ?

Also i had to slip the complete quarter light attachment down through the door as there is a screw stud fixed to the bottom of the channel that prevented me from taking it through the top of the door.....is that how it was originally fixed, just thought it a bit odd.
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
....is that how it was originally fixed, just thought it a bit odd.
You needed to back off that stud screw and remove it from the frame. The frame could then slide up and out. Apply some penetrating oil at this point....let it sit overnight....then remove the stud screw so that the frame can be installed correctly. Also, it is important that this screw be free to rotate as this will allow the upper end of the A frame (and the whole window for that matter ) to be adjusted in and out. This allows the seal to window gapping to be set correctly.

Last edited by 1750GT; 07-14-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 1750 GT......very useful info.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:25 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
....Sure enough I found that one of the washers on the spring roller has disintegrated.....but will it make that much of a difference ?
Yes it will make a difference! Without that plastic washer, the spring will be sliding directly against the aluminum guide that is fastened to the bottom of the window. This will gouge that aluminum channel and quickly wear through the hard anodizing surface treatment on that aluminum (if it hasn't already done so). As such it will increase the friction on the whole mechanism. When I install my windows, I will not be applying grease to the sliding surfaces (grease will trap grit and dirt)....I will leave them dry and see how it behaves (I'm hoping that plastic slides easily on bare clean anodized aluminum). I will only apply grease to the plastic roller to pivot surfaces on these rivets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode