4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gubi
  • 1 Post By Gubi
  • 1 Post By gprocket
  • 1 Post By spydaman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Draining coolant from heater core

Whatís the best, least messy way to do this? Itís all still in the car, but I pulled the dash and center console. I need to remove the heater valve just to get to the 2 nuts on the d/s, but am leery of doing so b/c of all the coolant draining out. If I have the valve in the Ďoffí position, no coolant should drain from the intake side, but thereís still coolant in the core, plus, i assume, coolant could also come in from the discharge side?

Seems like the most sure way would be to drain all coolant and go from there? Looking forward to the collective wisdom. Thanks.

Jonathan
1974 GTV 2000 (ex-1992 Spider Veloce)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Only way I know of to not make a mess is to drain all the coolant. Then you can use low pressure compressed air on the driver’s side heater hose to blow any remaining coolant out of the core.
spydaman likes this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Uh... Iíve never had to remove mine, but it seems simple enough to just pinch the hoses or find a suitable size plug for the hoses or heater core nozzles.

Ken
'73 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Only way I know of to not make a mess is to drain all the coolant. Then you can use low pressure compressed air on the driverís side heater hose to blow any remaining coolant out of the core.
Tanks @Gubi, was afraid of that...

Jonathan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
Uh... Iíve never had to remove mine, but it seems simple enough to just pinch the hoses or find a suitable size plug for the hoses or heater core nozzles.
Thanks Ken, I like the idea of the plugs. Iíll check Home Depot plumbing aisle. Iím only doing it b/c I noticed the other day that the p/s vent flap doesnít workóair comes out on the floor, but no matter how I adjust it it doesnít come out of the dash vent. So I only have 50% defrost. Plus the heat smells funky, so thereís something in there, so....... You know me, canít leave well enough alone.

Jonathan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:59 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
He's trying to remove the heater valve. When you do that (or even if you just disconnect the hoses at the core, pinched or no) all the coolant in the core will make a mess.

I mean, you can try to catch it in a cup or something, but easiest to just drain the system and get as much coolant out before you start.
spydaman likes this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthames View Post
Quote:
Uh... I’ve never had to remove mine, but it seems simple enough to just pinch the hoses or find a suitable size plug for the hoses or heater core nozzles.
Thanks Ken, I like the idea of the plugs. I’ll check Home Depot plumbing aisle. I’m only doing it b/c I noticed the other day that the p/s vent flap doesn’t work—air comes out on the floor, but no matter how I adjust it it doesn’t come out of the dash vent. So I only have 50% defrost. Plus the heat smells funky, so there’s something in there, so....... You know me, can’t leave well enough alone.
Blocked vent + funky smell = dead critter...

Sounds like you're going to need to pull the heater to fix that. With the dash and center console out, you're 4 nuts and two hoses away. Then you can do a thorough cleaning.
spydaman likes this.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:51 PM

Garage
Gubi and Gproket have given you good advice, this is a case of while your in there . I mean you have the dash out so it is very easy to pull the assembly, there are foam gaskets that will be crumbling for one thing. I know this because I have just rebuilt one for my Berlina resto. Hope this helps. Regards John
jthames likes this.

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Blocked vent + funky smell = dead critter...

Sounds like you're going to need to pull the heater to fix that. With the dash and center console out, you're 4 nuts and two hoses away. Then you can do a thorough cleaning.
Thanks Brian, dead critter EXACTLY. And I can pull the dash and console in about 35 min! The wiring diagram makes it super easy to put it back.

Jonathan
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket; bellagt; gubi
Anybody know roughly how much coolant the core holds? Thanks.

Jonathan
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthames View Post
You know me, canít leave well enough alone.
Winter rains are over... summer is here... button her up and start driving! One Lap Marin is this weekend.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Winter rains are over... summer is here... button her up and start driving! One Lap Marin is this weekend.
Doh!!! Gotta get on that!!

Jonathan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode