My 1972 GTV Coming Up For Sale - What's it worth? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

My 1972 GTV Coming Up For Sale - What's it worth?

Well...****. This is definitely breaking my heart. After the 10 year saga of finishing my car, it looks like I will have to put it up for sale within a year of finally getting it back. Very long story short, suffice it to say that with a 1 year old, a wife not into cars (though to her credit, she is not pushing this at all), and trying to make it on one income in California I just can't justify an Alfa in my garage, especially one which I've spent so much on. So, unfortunately, assuming my car is accepted I will be putting it up on BringATrailer shortly. There will be a relatively high reserve so I don't totally lose my lunch, but I don't know what to expect from a valuation perspective. Below is a (I believe full) list of what's been done on the car.

I have almost $70,000 worth of invoices over the last 8 years showing the following work:
  • Bodywork - Work performed by Andy Schank in 2012.
  • 100% new seals (trunk, hood, doors, windows, etc.)
  • Replaced spare tire well and both floorboards
  • Repaired rust on drivers door
  • Repaired rust under rear windshield
  • Sanded and primered entire car.
  • Filled holes for unused "inizione" emblem and unused antenna
  • Repainted in original Rosso Amaranto (of note, the underside of the trunk lid is the original paint and you can see how spot-on the original is
  • Bumpers removed (original bumpers included)
  • Alfaholics grille - Mesh and center heart
  • All chrome pieces removed, polished, and clear-coated
  • Suspension - Work performed by myself and my father, finished off by Vintage Customs.
  • Replaced all bushings with new, polyurethane bushings.
  • Stripped, sanded, and sand blasted all suspension components before coating them in rubberized protectant pain.
  • New Koni Yellow adjustable shocks
  • Centerline Alfa Performance Springs
  • Wheels - Original Campagnolo Magnesium wheels, refinished in "Daytona Ferrari Gold." Have sourced the original Campagnolo center caps but still need the center clips.
  • Brand new Falken Azenis RT615K
  • Brakes - System completely overhauled with performance pads and slotted/drilled rotors.
  • Interior - Fully custom interior built by Vintage Customs in Tacoma Washington
  • Fully rebuilt (down to the springs) "flying buttress" seats
  • All new carpeting
  • New headliner
  • New Sun visors
  • Custom rear window shelf
  • Custom parcel shelf where rear seat had been
  • New door panels all around.
  • Dash from 1969, covered in suede with center brushed aluminum insert
  • Center console to match
  • Vintage Customs built remote shift linkage with momo knob
  • Radio deleted (the car is music-enough)
  • Original seats (front and rear) included
  • Engine and transmission - Full build by Terry Tinney in 2011/2012, finished off and tuned by Vintage Customs in 2018. Motor has been rated at "180HP+" by the builder, but never put on a dyno.
  • Exhaust:
  • Darstan header
  • Full stainless system
  • Carburetor:
  • Converted to dual 40DCOE weber carburetors with correct European manifold and linkage
  • Sourced original carburetors and fully rebuilt (not the newer remakes)
  • Ram air stacks
  • Internals:
  • Complete overhaul of the motor.
  • Surfaced heads
  • New cams, valves, connecting rods, etc.
  • J-E Custom lightened pistons
  • New main and rod bearings
  • New ARP rod bolts
  • New Timing chain
  • New gaskets
  • Transmission
  • Replaced syncros
  • New seals

Photos below
Attached Images

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love

Last edited by cavilry; 06-05-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 AM

Looks great overall! Best of luck with the sale. Not sure if some of the purists will like the custom interior but hey life is short

'72 GTV 2000 project car
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! For what it's worth, I don't like the aluminum on the dash either. I requested wood...Vintage Customs forgot and I couldn't pay them to redo it.
Kristianjaeger likes this.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I hope you get good money for your car. Are you going to put it on Bring A Trailer?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I hope you get good money for your car. Are you going to put it on Bring A Trailer?
That's the plan! I've submitted it for consideration and provided them the information on what's been done. It'll be up to them if they accept it and when they post it.

It looks like they've been selling for 20-60k+ recently. There was a car that seems very similar to my build (the one from the Petrolicious video) that sold for $55,000 in March. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...o-gtv-2000-10/

Last edited by cavilry; 06-05-2019 at 10:01 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:56 AM

Sorry to hear of your situation and wish you the best with the sale. The point of a reserve is to keep it to yourself though!

1973 GT Jr.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alforno View Post
Sorry to hear of your situation and wish you the best with the sale. The point of a reserve is to keep it to yourself though!
Amended...thanks! Suffice it to say this is my first rodeo.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilry View Post
For what it's worth, I don't like the aluminum on the dash either. I requested wood...Vintage Customs forgot and I couldn't pay them to redo it.
In hindsight, you might have saved money by paying VC to do what you had originally wanted, since you would have gotten more when selling the car. I customize my cars too, so I'm not making a value judgement, but original cars generally sell for more than modified ones. So while you have $70K invested in this car, I doubt your will get close to that amount back.

Quote:
It looks like they've been selling for 20-60k+ recently. There was a car that seems very similar to my build (the one from the Petrolicious video) that sold for $55,000 in March.
$55K may be achievable. With an auction, you just never know; a lot depends on how badly the top few bidders want it.
1978alfa likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-05-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 AM

Time will tell what's it worth on the given day of your auction. Customized or personalized cars have a wider bandwidth on pricing, with a higher downside than upside. You need to have two buyers who like your customizations, otherwise they're going to discount those items as things that will need to be redone (in other words, they have little to no worth for the buyer). The pool of potential bidders will be reduced quite a bit since those looking for an original example, re-sellers looking for a car to flip, high-roller investors are all likely to stay on the sideline. So you're left with those who like your idea of customizing or those that hope to pick up the car at a discount to what you've "invested."

You're best play will be to set a high enough reserve so that you don't feel like you're giving the car away (and hope you have two bidders that want your car), or just keep it and enjoy it. GLWTS.

BTW, There are a fun bunch of GTV owners in the SC Area and getting to know them through GTV ownership is priceless IMO.
1978alfa likes this.

Ken
'73 GTV
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:50 AM

Garage
Sounds like a question for Keith Martin!

Cars ruined my life! 😱
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
If I were you, I'd get some filters (or the original filter box) on those carbs.
I don't know how many miles you've run it with open trumpets, but seeing that tends to put people off, wondering just what the engine has sucked in over the past x thousand miles.
I certainly wouldn't run without filters of some kind.
Even the Webcon-type filters that fit over the end of the trumpets would help, but not as good as the original, or, say, a KN type filter.
Most potential buyers will wonder about that.

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

cavilry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
If I were you, I'd get some filters (or the original filter box) on those carbs.
I don't know how many miles you've run it with open trumpets, but seeing that tends to put people off, wondering just what the engine has sucked in over the past x thousand miles.
I certainly wouldn't run without filters of some kind.
Even the Webcon-type filters that fit over the end of the trumpets would help, but not as good as the original, or, say, a KN type filter.
Most potential buyers will wonder about that.
Luckily (or unfortunately) I've only put 300 miles on the car since it got back up and running.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Yea, but GTA R is right - the BaT "peanut gallery" will criticize your car 's lack of air cleaners to death, possibly scaring off some real buyers. I love reading BaT and believe they deliver a great product, but their discussions can get out of control, with non-buyers telling long, irrelevant stories and critiquing the cars excessively.

Best to fix any obvious flaws (like the lack of air cleaners) and to handle the punters critical comments politely.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Garage
Best of luck and I'd hate to sell this one if it were mine.

My suggestion for preparing for BaT auctions is to 1) look for the sellers tips they have presented and follow those suggestions as they have been borne out by experiences and results 2) If you don't have good photography chops-find a student with some experience and good SLR kit and flash equipment and document everything or pay a Pro-BaT has a list of skilled photogs . 3) when you have the photog with you, have a pre arranged visit to an oil change place or someplace with a lift even if you have to pay $20 to get it up on the lift so you can take photos off all the hard to reach places

4) Prepare a spreadsheet documenting the work broken out by section

5) Prepare a google shared cloud folder with documentation

6) Don't have the auction END on the Friday before a holiday weekend as many in the audience will be on the road

7) If your audience is expected to be mainly Calif based, see if you can arrange for your auction to close around the lunch hour. Do NOT close an auction on a Monday between 9 and 11 as there are many "planning the week" staff meetings, conference calls going

8) Be prepared to be extremely responsive to the questions so don't schedule the auction to close during a period where you might be slammed at work.

9) Point out shortcomings before they are pointed out. The fewer the excuses aka stories, the better

10) Post your live BaT auction on line every place you can-html links to Hemmings, AROC, Alfabb, Craigslist etc. Look for FaceBook 105 groups and local Alfa chapters

11) Anticipate questions and if possible draft up responses so you can quickly respond. Be available and online during the auction

Good luck-its a fantastic build and someone will be thrilled with the car-but only if they know about its existence
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Have you considered trying one of the big auction houses? A friend of mine had one of his GTV's sell from big money.

Ciao Frank
74 RedSpider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode