73 GTV rear wheel tracking - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

73 GTV rear wheel tracking

A buddy was following me and said the tracking is off. The car is tracking as if the rear axle is skewed. What should I be looking for? Is this adjustable in the sense that an alignment could correct this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:45 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Trunion location might be off ... hopefully. Spacers on each side, between it and the chassis rail.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:02 AM

Garage
This article describes the problem pretty well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1828527664/amp

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:29 AM

Garage
The rear has a smaller track than the front. It may look like its tracking wrong but may not be. Do you have to fight to keep the car straight? Did this just start? Does it change under accel or decel? Get someone else to drive your Alfa and you follow in another car to watch. I think the trailing arm bushings would have to be garbage on one side or the trailing arm to body attachment lose or rusted to a weakened state to get to this situation. Video would be interesting to see.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:53 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I tend to agree with brad fischer: there isn't a lot that can go wrong with Alfa rear suspensions that would cause the rear axle to become mis-aligned relative to the chassis. But if something were to be amiss, it would be in the trailing arms, so an inspection of your arms and their mounting might be a good idea.

Brad's theory that your friend is simply observing your Alfa's wider front track / narrower rear track is probably the explanation. About the only thing that is adjustable on the Alfa rear suspension is the side-side location of the trunion arm. But even when that is off, the symptom isn't "dog tracking", it's that one wheel is closer to its arch than the other.

I liked the article nealric posted, but would guess that happens more easily on vehicles with leaf spring rear suspensions.
brad fischer likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 05-27-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Pete, Alfajay, Brad, and Nealric. I will read the article tonight. The car has very low miles on it and the suspension is in very good order as far as I can tell. The "problem" is not new in the sense that I never really thought I had a problem until the observation by my friend. The steering is unweighted at center and it goes down the road nicely. There is an ever so slight (and I mean slight) steer to the rear end under accel and decel but I tend to think that is characteristic of the design. If you weren't looking for the slight steer effect you wouldn't notice it. I have driven a couple of 105s with pronounced rear steer and it is nothing like they were. I will do as you suggest and take a look myself. I didn't think about the narrower rear track and its effect. Thanks again.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:05 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
There is an ever so slight (and I mean slight) steer to the rear end under accel and decel but I tend to think that is characteristic of the design.
That's not normal and is likely worn trunnion bushes. Common problem. Get the car going like 10 mph and take your hands off the wheel. If you can steer the car back and forth with the throttle then likely the rear trunnion rubber is worn.

I agree the apparent crabbing is likely to be an optical illusion. We did an Alfa drive last weekend and I was thinking the same thing about the GTV in front of me.
davbert and Lokki like this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:07 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
A common problem with the original Mini, but usually after the car has been in a significant accident and it was repaired with the front and rear sub-frames out of alignment. Hopefully your Alfa has not had a big hit and it is just the narrow rear end, and follower sitting on the left hand side of their car distorting their view.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 05-29-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
The "problem" is not new. The steering is unweighted at center and it goes down the road nicely. There is an ever so slight (and I mean slight) steer to the rear end under accel and decel but I tend to think that is characteristic of the design. If you weren't looking for the slight steer effect you wouldn't notice it.
This is exactly the problem I have with my Ochre 1750 GTV.
Here is everything I have done to try and fix this on my thread.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sus...ce-wanted.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html

Last edited by brad fischer; 05-30-2019 at 04:04 AM. Reason: add link
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad fischer View Post
This is exactly the problem I have with my Ochre 1750 GTV.
Here is everything I have done to try and fix this on my thread.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sus...ce-wanted.html

Thanks Brad. I'm first going to take the suggestion to put my own eyes on the car from behind and judge whether or not its the rear track optical illusion. As for the ever so slight steer I experience, the imperfect mounting of the trunion to only one side of the diff would seem to encourage movement of the trailing arms within the compliance of any bushing less than a solid bushing, but I will keep an eye on this.

Last edited by tuttebenne; 05-30-2019 at 04:52 AM.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Brad. As for the ever so slight steer I experience, the imperfect mounting of the trunion to only one side of the diff would seem to encourage movement of the trailing arms within the compliance of any bushing less than a solid bushing, but I will keep an eye on this.
My car steers left on accel therefore I countersteer right. Which seems opposite of what it would do considering the trunion mount is left of center. What way does yours steer on accel?
davbert likes this.

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:56 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

It shouldn't be steering at all. Do the test I suggested. If it's steering with the throttle pedal you need to look at your trunnion bushing, and maybe trailing arms.

I've got a 101, a 105, and a 115, and none of them steer with the throttle. It ain't normal.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Do the test I suggested. If it's steering with the throttle pedal you need to look at your trunnion bushing, and maybe trailing arms.

I've got a 101, a 105, and a 115, and none of them steer with the throttle. It ain't normal.
Check out the link to my thread I posted in #9 (4 posts back) on the work I did.

Last edited by brad fischer; 05-30-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add info
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
There is an ever so slight (and I mean slight) steer to the rear end under accel and decel but I tend to think that is characteristic of the design.
No, it's not, it's a sign of either a worn trunnion bush, or soft trailing arm bushes.
I know you say the car has not done many miles, but in how long ?
Trunnion and particularly trailing arm bushes are key to a 105 rear end's handling.
Trailing arm bushes can look ok, but are actually goosed.
Both of my two previous Coupes (when I aquired them), showed steering from the rear end under acceleration & deceleration.
I removed the trailing arms and thought the bushes looked ok. They weren't.
In both cases I renewed both ends of each arm, and the issue disappeared.
If they're more than 10 years old, they need changing, as the rubber deteriorates even when not in use.

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
No, it's not, it's a sign of either a worn trunnion bush, or soft trailing arm bushes.
I know you say the car has not done many miles, but in how long ?
Trunnion and particularly trailing arm bushes are key to a 105 rear end's handling.
Trailing arm bushes can look ok, but are actually goosed.
Both of my two previous Coupes (when I aquired them), showed steering from the rear end under acceleration & deceleration.
I removed the trailing arms and thought the bushes looked ok. They weren't.
In both cases I renewed both ends of each arm, and the issue disappeared.
If they're more than 10 years old, they need changing, as the rubber deteriorates even when not in use.
I replaced all my rear end bushes and still have the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode