Bonnet Catch broke? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Bonnet Catch broke?

So the hood bonnet would now pop up, i pulled up and there is some sort of wire coming out of the hood catch. Looks like a broken paperclip.
Know of a place to buy a new hood catch or what this wire belongs too? its a 71 gt 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Classic Alfa has replacements for $38.75. See https://classicalfa.com/st195-bonnet...gt-gtv-spider/

These parts will last longer if you gently press your hood closed, rather than dropping it.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

So is there some type of clip in the hood latch?
Also tell that to the previous owner. I have only opened the hood around 5 times now : (
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:04 PM

Since you'll have to repair, it's a good idea to rig some kind of back-up to both front and rear latches (a cable or a string through the firewall upfront and similar through the license plate or lights screw holes in the back).

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivekel View Post
So is there some type of clip in the hood latch?
Also tell that to the previous owner. I have only opened the hood around 5 times now : (
Each of the wires you can see in the picture in the link is one side of a spring steel "V", of which there are two, sandwiched between the plates of the catch. The ones you can see each spring apart when pushed aside by the part of the catch attached to the bonnet itself, and because they are pushing against the outer side of the V which cannot move away, the inner pieces spring back to secure the bonnet.
Mine was broken, so I took it apart by grinding the rivets, flipping one V over, which was broken, to restore function.
Tell the previous owner?? Don't reckon he cares.
P.s. Just realised I should get out more.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Ranz-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Mine was broken, so I took it apart by grinding the rivets, flipping one V over, which was broken, to restore function.
When you repaired yours, any specific type of metal wire you used? I am perfectly fine with rebuilding it on my own.
Thanks!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Just buy a used one. They are the same for the GT/GTV/GT Junior and Spider. They are a dime a dozen.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Just buy a used one. They are the same for the GT/GTV/GT Junior and Spider. They are a dime a dozen.
okay! To the Fs/WTB Section!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here is your chance to meet the Larrys! It’s kind of a rite-of-passage in Alfa ownership; sort of like meeting King Neptune when you cross the equator.

To wit:

Alfa Parts Exchange will no doubt be able to sell you a complete used hood latch set-up, complete with cable.

http://www.alfapartsexchange.com/main.htm

They’ll possibly have any other bits that you’re hunting so you might make a list.

I have found that phoning works better than email although it’s been a while since I last contacted them.

Both of them are ‘Characters’ so be prepared for an unusual conversation.

71 Spider
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
Here is your chance to meet the Larrys! It’s kind of a rite-of-passage in Alfa ownership; sort of like meeting King Neptune when you cross the equator.

To wit:

Alfa Parts Exchange will no doubt be able to sell you a complete used hood latch set-up, complete with cable.

http://www.alfapartsexchange.com/main.htm

They’ll possibly have any other bits that you’re hunting so you might make a list.

I have found that phoning works better than email although it’s been a while since I last contacted them.

Both of them are ‘Characters’ so be prepared for an unusual conversation.
I will give them a call this morning. Thanks!
As of right now only one of the wires broke within the plate, so it should suffice until i replace it. Still makes em a little paranoid, but if the hood opened the other direction then I would definitely not drive it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode