Wrapping exhaust headers - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Wrapping exhaust headers

Any thoughts on it helps keep the engine bay cooler keeps exhaust gases hot for easy exiting some say yes and some say no any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
I wouldn’t recommend wrapping headers, I’d suggest having the headers properly ceramic coated for best heat and performance benefits.
Attached Images

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
I wouldn’t recommend wrapping headers, I’d suggest having the headers properly ceramic coated for best heat and performance benefits.
What material are the headers?

Wrapping them may also cause cracks on headers.

I agree that ceramic coating is the best solution. Spend the money on a good source, totally worth it.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider - now back home with Dr. Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:26 PM

I have plain header. With wrap it cracked (several times, different locations). , without it that problem was gone. No difference with or without on dyno.
Just make a good heat shield for the brake cylinder(s). Thats all. Good ceramic coating that really works are the expensive ones, cheaper ones are for esthetics only.
I never had any problem with heat.
(racecar btw..so much more heat production than streetuse). Spend your money wise (or not at all).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:54 AM

Garage
As it's been mentioned, find a proven ceramic coating provider as I when through the process three times before I was able to achieve the desired result.
Straight after a track/road session I can hover my hand very close to the extractor without burning, amazing stuff.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 AM

headers often crack with or without wraps depending on climate. ive wrapped my modded up stock cast mani and left my tube headers unwrapped.

shields to contain or reflect excessive heat are massively effective. something in the order of 60% containment or 95% reflection of radiant heat on the nearby components if memory serves. a huge step up from ceramic coatings suspect effectiveness and claims imo.

a simple alloy shield facing the headers helps the wires in the vicinity from being cooked (i think some stock alfetta alternators and around the MC reservoirs had these)

many years ago i locally wrapped 5-6 inch section of brake line on my 105 gtv that went over the exhaust in the tunnel area which cured my boiling problem at turn 3A that would force me to use the run off escape route.

shields are simple, lightweight, effective, adaptable, low cost and reversible which is important given the rising values!

all modern cars run with an abundance of shields with the need to heat up the cats quickly for emissions while protecting merit of electrical components that are heat sensitive in a densely pack engine bay.

in addition to simple alloy sheets or barriers, they also have a pliable sandwich multi-layer constitution sheets with thin silvery reflective skin layer to form around complex shapes and retain their shape memory. Grassroots racers hit the junkyards that are filled with these wonderful advanced heat barriers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode