B.A.T. Romance - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
Fat chance! They’re more interested in Coachella and K-Pop

Point is, our hobby is by and large a generational one. Of course there will be residual interest, think horse and buggy or traction engine, and there will be a place for what are seen as true works of art. But mass produced cars like these, long term I don’t think so much.
Every one has their favorite singers/groups, whether from the 60's/70's when the cars were built or others like the girl group K-Pop 2019. Luckily sound systems are allowed in cars and you can sing along as you drive to what ever you like.
There are cars available in various conditions today, but how is your car going to get to the year 2050. The point is the cars that are restored thoroughly and at the highest level with longevity in mind (see my other posts) will be candidates for being a running car in 2050, so a 19 year old today(who will be 50 in 2050) could buy one over the next 30 years once they find one they like. Restoring a 105 in 2063 will certainly be a challenge as a 100 year old car.
What else can I can say does the name Giorgetto Giugiaro mean anything to you when it comes to automotive works of art.

Steve
Yachtman likes this.

Last edited by Steve105; 05-01-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 AM

Garage
I agree that the bright red interior of the car subject of this thread is the wrong color/pattern, however certainly some GTs or Veloces did come with a burgundy/wine red vinyl. I had an early Giulia Sprint GTV with Dunlop brakes, green with the burgundy vinyl seats & door cards. This exact same color & the basket-weave pattern was also used later on S1 1750 flying buttress seats.
Cheers,
Vince.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:42 PM

I agree with the last post, and the whole investment car market could fall over far sooner , I would pay extra for a nicely modified car just to be able to drive it.
sbadaro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
$30K '69 gtv

this 1969 GTV just sold on eBay for $30,000: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Alfa-R...orig_cvip=true

eBay doesn't seem to have the same romance factor!

Attached Images

sbadaro likes this.

Last edited by Biscione; 04-30-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscione View Post
this 1969 GTV just sold on eBay for $30,000: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Alfa-R...orig_cvip=true
I would say this car came out of long term storage/hardly used and was just fixed as per photos to on sell.
Look closer, see anything not factory correct in the floors?
Yes that's the floor edges flipped up instead of down. Well I hope they considered the water getting in between the floor and inner sill, bit of a wasted effort really. Trying to rectify this sort of short cut can be messy/costly! Probably means there was no access to a rotisserie to do the job correctly as per factory installation.

The underside of the car was not restored. The engine bay is black, who knows what the colour of the car was originally probably silver. The seats were trimmed incorrectly, the head lining is incorrect and the door cards look in need of attention. Window winders and vent winder knob incorrect maybe.
No details on engine rebuild, who knows were it's at with the life of the crank 20 thou, 30 thou grind, 40 thou?.
Expect similar market response for these types of non original/hybrid cars regardless of BAT or Ebay. I see long term pain(for the buyer) if you go down this path of buying this type of car. I think the seller was punished by the market and so will others sellers be if they use this type of repair strategy.
It's a pity this car could have been a restoration contender if the seller did not stuff up the floors and followed through with a thorough restoration. But then again not ever 105 car will be restored!
Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 05-01-2019 at 04:12 AM.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:21 AM

This is my uncles car that I just sold on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-romeo-gtv-14/

I honestly thought it would go for less, but in the last hour it shot up $8,000.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscione View Post

I have personally inspected some of the GTVs sold on Bat in the last few months. And if you think there is a slight panel gap issue in a picture - trust me - it is far worst than it appears.
Pictures don't tell the story of doors that require 'violence' to close properly - because of bad door seals. Pictures don't tell you about the overlapped fender panels inside a fender well.
About 1750 engines that feel like they are putting out only 80hp. And these GTVs sold well past the $50K's.

Yes, this same car would have sold well into the mid $40K 's on Bat; with the micro climate (frenzy or Porsche effect) that is found there.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM

B.A.T. is only really useful if you live near the seller so you can do a detailed inspection of the vehicle. After reading some of the stories on ALFABB about people buying good-looking cars that were rotting underneath has reminded me of looking for my Alfa.
It was at a used car dealer and it was a beautiful red spider with a good interior (not sure of the year, but relatively early). I took it for test drive and it seemed fine. I want back after hours and crawled underneath the car and discovered a rust factory. It had a large piece of billet welded to the back of the rocker panel to somewhere further underneath the car holding the whole thing together. I didn't look any farther.
The spider I did buy came from a car collector who was selling his collection to buy a Testa Rossa. He clearly loved and treated cars well as he had a second garage built under his house to hold his collection (including a 308, also for sale but outside my price range). I inspected the underside of my soon-to-be car and it looked almost factory fresh.
That was 30 years ago and still no visible rust on it. If I had bought the first one it probably would have lasted a year, 2 at the most.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:39 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa-sport View Post
About 1750 engines that feel like they are putting out only 80hp.
The sad thing is for many this becomes "well it is an old car, and must be how it is", or a hotted up 2 ltr is installed and all of a sudden they pat themselves on their pats and "sorted the power issue" ... but all that needed to happen was the 1750 engine needed to be property serviced and tuned, and maybe de-carboned. Instead the car has become a hot rod and the original lovely engine is now on the path to a recycling yard. Same can be said for the many 1300 & 1600 engines that were treated like the ugly girl at the prom, when the mother was the real problem for not having the ability to teach her daughter the art of tasteful make up.

Same can be said in regards to suspension when many owners instead of properly servicing the original design, throw in modified components that were simply not required ... but gee, der!, of course the car drives much better after 40 years of no maintenance was replaced. But no modification actually was required, Alfa Romeo paid engineers knew what they were doing.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 05-01-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode