water pump + where to find service kit ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

water pump + where to find service kit ?

Hi there

I would like to restore the water pump of a sprint GT from 1965.

I know that the water pump is available as a complete replacement part. But I would like to rebuilt the one I have.

So I am looking for a "service kit" or spare parts.

I am looking especially for this part. The bearing can't be removed, the shaft has a groove for the bearing balls.

So if you know, or have something...
Attached Images

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:03 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Have you reached out to AFRA?
@Gordon Raymond, do you have any suggestions?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescara View Post
Hi there
I would like to restore the water pump of a sprint GT from 1965.
I know that the water pump is available as a complete replacement part. But I would like to rebuilt the one I have.
So I am looking for a "service kit" or spare parts.
I am looking especially for this part. The bearing can't be removed, the shaft has a groove for the bearing balls.
So if you know, or have something...
I have some NOS spare parts, which include impellers and other water pump parts.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Steve, if you have the unit in my picture, I am interested :-)

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

The incased bearing assembly disappeared about a year ago from the "new-old-stock" sources.
I used my last of those about then. I discussed with some other rebuilders what they used, and it develops that Alfa, like Ferrari with other items used a slight variation of a known, durable assembly for the bearing. The source is from an American farm tractor, and the available bearing assembly has a main shaft that's too long and needs to be correctly shortened on a lathe with a cut off wheel. The hardened bearing carrier lacks the hole for original grease install, and the hole is also used to locate the bearing in the pump body with a grub screw.As the housing is hardened, one can grind a notch in the correct location. Finally, the shaft, though hardened, is just slightly undersized for the correct hydraulic press interference fit. This can be addressed with various aerobic stud&bearing mount products from Loctite. Pictures below.
The water stop seal, originally brass bodied is available with a stainless steel body and slightly less robust multi piece carbon seal replacing the one piece original carbon, from Centerline USA and most likely OK parts and engineering in Germany. The sometimes also carry the impeller, thougb originals water stop surface can be re-created with a stainless steel washer but must be cut to impeller original thickness for correct water stop spring pre-load. The lack of the correct bearing carrier and shaft makes pump restoration today more costly and time consuming that a few years ago.
Attached Images

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I’ve used a shop up in the Pacific Northwest to overhaul Alfa pumps. Complete rework, sometimes with new impellers as well as bearing/seal assemblies were about $105 each.

Home

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Flying Dutchman Waterpumps in Oregon. Web search takes you right there. Some YouTubes by him too.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescara View Post
Steve, if you have the unit in my picture, I am interested :-)
I will go through storage boxes in the next few days and post pictures.
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode