Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   GT (1963-1977) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/)
-   -   water pump + where to find service kit ? (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/678588-water-pump-where-find-service-kit.html)

pescara 04-21-2019 01:56 AM

water pump + where to find service kit ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there

I would like to restore the water pump of a sprint GT from 1965.

I know that the water pump is available as a complete replacement part. But I would like to rebuilt the one I have.

So I am looking for a "service kit" or spare parts.

I am looking especially for this part. The bearing can't be removed, the shaft has a groove for the bearing balls.

So if you know, or have something...

ossodiseppia 04-21-2019 05:03 AM

Have you reached out to AFRA?
@Gordon Raymond, do you have any suggestions?

Steve105 04-21-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pescara (Post 8403112)
Hi there
I would like to restore the water pump of a sprint GT from 1965.
I know that the water pump is available as a complete replacement part. But I would like to rebuilt the one I have.
So I am looking for a "service kit" or spare parts.
I am looking especially for this part. The bearing can't be removed, the shaft has a groove for the bearing balls.
So if you know, or have something...

I have some NOS spare parts, which include impellers and other water pump parts.
Steve

pescara 04-21-2019 06:25 AM

Steve, if you have the unit in my picture, I am interested :-)

Gordon Raymond 04-21-2019 08:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The incased bearing assembly disappeared about a year ago from the "new-old-stock" sources.
I used my last of those about then. I discussed with some other rebuilders what they used, and it develops that Alfa, like Ferrari with other items used a slight variation of a known, durable assembly for the bearing. The source is from an American farm tractor, and the available bearing assembly has a main shaft that's too long and needs to be correctly shortened on a lathe with a cut off wheel. The hardened bearing carrier lacks the hole for original grease install, and the hole is also used to locate the bearing in the pump body with a grub screw.As the housing is hardened, one can grind a notch in the correct location. Finally, the shaft, though hardened, is just slightly undersized for the correct hydraulic press interference fit. This can be addressed with various aerobic stud&bearing mount products from Loctite. Pictures below.
The water stop seal, originally brass bodied is available with a stainless steel body and slightly less robust multi piece carbon seal replacing the one piece original carbon, from Centerline USA and most likely OK parts and engineering in Germany. The sometimes also carry the impeller, thougb originals water stop surface can be re-created with a stainless steel washer but must be cut to impeller original thickness for correct water stop spring pre-load. The lack of the correct bearing carrier and shaft makes pump restoration today more costly and time consuming that a few years ago.

DPeterson3 04-21-2019 08:49 AM

I’ve used a shop up in the Pacific Northwest to overhaul Alfa pumps. Complete rework, sometimes with new impellers as well as bearing/seal assemblies were about $105 each.

Home

iachella 04-21-2019 12:23 PM

Flying Dutchman Waterpumps in Oregon. Web search takes you right there. Some YouTubes by him too.

Steve105 04-21-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pescara (Post 8403156)
Steve, if you have the unit in my picture, I am interested :-)

I will go through storage boxes in the next few days and post pictures.
Steve