Input on Centerline Springs, Koni Reds & OEM Swaybars - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Input on Centerline Springs, Koni Reds & OEM Swaybars

I am planning a new suspension for my 74 GTV. I am looking for something that is "better" than stock, but something that is tried & true by many. My requirements: nice street performance, reasonable ride, ride height that won't scrape my sump guard on street dips and a reliably "good stance" without a bunch of spring spacer trial and error.

I've read through a fair number of threads...seems to get complex quickly with spring coil counts, rebound rates, etc. I just want something tried and true that I can install and be happy without a lot of tinkering. I'll be running 65 or 60 profile tires.

To that end it seems a pretty standard setup is:
  • Centerline springs
  • Koni Reds in front
  • Koni Yellow in back
  • OEM sway bars

Is anyone running this suspension? Do you think it meets my criteria above?

Thanks!

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)

Last edited by crackie; 04-14-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 AM

Garage
I would think Reds front and rear. Front 1/2 way and rear full soft. If I was to do my springs I would consider Eibach, I have heard good things about them.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

If you drive on mainly smooth roads then you may be happy with those stiff springs.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 AM

Garage
check out either Alfaholics or Classicalfas offerings, usually involves removing rear sway bar, by all account not a bad way to go. I have the CA version on my 74 GTV, but haven't had the chance to drive it yet since the restoration is awaiting a few shakedown miles.

Cars ruined my life! 😱
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
All of the aftermarket "fast road" springs will give you much improved handling, but at a definite price in roughness, and poor clearance over speed bumps and the like. As an earlier poster noted, quite nice on smooth surfaces. For everyday driving, you'll get tired of getting kicked around, and hearing scraping noises.

I recommend finding regular Euro springs to replace the US springs that were longer to meet bumper and headlight height requirements. Then, red Konis, all full soft. I'd leave on the rear sway bar with this combination.

The result will be noticeably better handling, comfortable ride, and everyday clearances over real-world roads.

I did the fast-road conversion on my Montreal. Thrilling on smooth roads. It got to where I wouldn't take it out if I was just driving around town, because of the speed bumps, driveway berms, less-than-perfect road surfaces, and so on. Any mod that makes you NOT want to drive your car should be considered closely.

But yes, taking it through the Sierras on great roads was brilliant.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:44 PM

The Centerline springs are similar to the old IAP springs. They were designed back in the day when the most popular wheel/tire set was a 205/60x14 or 185/70x14 with soft sidewalls. They work on a racetrack, but I found them to be much too stiff for poor quality roads.

They were replaced with a set of Alfaholics fast road springs which provide a much more comfortable ride while still be significantly stiffer and better handling that the stock setup. You can get the Alfaholics springs in different ride heights.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

@brad fischer - yes you are right...Koni reds on rear and yellows up front...I wrote it backwards above.

OK - so it sounds like many find the Centerline springs a bit harsh. This is what I really needed to know. Seems shocks and keeping the OEM swaybars are a pretty straightforward decisions for a "fast" street car. It's the springs that require some thought.

@DPeterson3 - I had same scraping issue with my 69 Spider. Go where it really took the joy out of driving it as I was always scanning the road for a dip that would cause a bottom out. Put in some spacers and mostly solved it. Agree - don't want to be there again.

--Scott
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Springs will affect the ride and handling more than shocks. Red and yellow Konis are not that different when they are set on full soft. SPAX shocks are good, they are easy to adjust and they have a wide range of adjustment.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I have SPAX on my 69 Spider. Came with the car. I'm not a huge fan of gas shocks, but I actually like them a lot.

--Scott
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:01 AM

My GTV came with red Koni's front and rear, Shankle silver springs, Shankle front swaybar (oversize bar with plate steel ends) and stock rear swaybar. I replaced the Shankle springs with Centerline yellow springs, kept the red Koni's but set them 1/4 from full soft, and kept both swaybars. The car rides much better but still feels like a sports car and corners like a go-kart. I have been very happy with the setup and I don't find the ride too harsh. However, it all depends on how you want the car to handle and ride. In the end if it is a car meant for the street, there will always be handling compromises, it should be setup to your liking.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I had a Shankle front swaybar and I removed it. It is now on Richard Jemison's new race car. My Spider handles much better on bumpy roads with the stock bar. I had to dial in more rebound on the front shocks after the change. I have no sway bar on the rear.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Koni reds should be in the rear and yellows in the front .... but the SPAX low pressure gas shocks that you got on your Spider are better.

Springs. Stiffer in the front regardless of source will protect your sump even if lowered. However try not to lower too much ... use shims to avoid front lower A-arms from pointing upwards ... otherwise your now subterranean roll-center will require spring rates or a front bar that will not work well with rough roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackie View Post
I am planning a new suspension for my 74 GTV. I am looking for something that is "better" than stock, but something that is tried & true by many. My requirements: nice street performance, reasonable ride, ride height that won't scrape my sump guard on street dips and a reliably "good stance" without a bunch of spring spacer trial and error.

I've read through a fair number of threads...seems to get complex quickly with spring coil counts, rebound rates, etc. I just want something tried and true that I can install and be happy without a lot of tinkering. I'll be running 65 or 60 profile tires.

• Centerline springs
  • Koni Reds in front
  • Koni Yellow in back
  • OEM sway bars

Thanks!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 AM

I was also curious about this. Can you run the Eibach springs front and back with everything else standard?
Maybe just upgrade to Red Koni shocks.
brad fischer likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
As another data point, I’m running Centerline Performance springs with Koni reds on my otherwise bone stock 66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. I have a front anti-sway bar but none on the rear with stock 15” steelies and 155/15 Pirellis. I absolutely love the way the car steers and handles. It doesn’t have the grip of wider wheels and rubber, but it just feels right, and the ride is comfortable and compliant.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackie View Post

• Centerline springs
  • Koni Reds in front
  • Koni Yellow in back
  • OEM sway bars

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:05 AM

I put the Centerline springs in 91 Spider years ago ……… probably same as they sell today. Changed nothing else. It definitely improved handling with little change in comfort. But they also definitely lowered the car …….. you have to be much more careful about bottoming out changing road surfaces (i.e. turning off street into a parking lot) ………….. I keep thinking about adding shims to raise it back up; but don't get it done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode