Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   GT (1963-1977) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/)
-   -   Input on Centerline Springs, Koni Reds & OEM Swaybars (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/678310-input-centerline-springs-koni-reds-oem-swaybars.html)

crackie 04-14-2019 10:09 PM

Input on Centerline Springs, Koni Reds & OEM Swaybars

I am planning a new suspension for my 74 GTV. I am looking for something that is "better" than stock, but something that is tried & true by many. My requirements: nice street performance, reasonable ride, ride height that won't scrape my sump guard on street dips and a reliably "good stance" without a bunch of spring spacer trial and error.

I've read through a fair number of threads...seems to get complex quickly with spring coil counts, rebound rates, etc. I just want something tried and true that I can install and be happy without a lot of tinkering. I'll be running 65 or 60 profile tires.

To that end it seems a pretty standard setup is:
  • Centerline springs
  • Koni Reds in front
  • Koni Yellow in back
  • OEM sway bars

Is anyone running this suspension? Do you think it meets my criteria above?

Thanks!

brad fischer 04-15-2019 05:05 AM

I would think Reds front and rear. Front 1/2 way and rear full soft. If I was to do my springs I would consider Eibach, I have heard good things about them.

alfaparticle 04-15-2019 06:03 AM

If you drive on mainly smooth roads then you may be happy with those stiff springs.

VabeneGTV 04-15-2019 08:05 AM

check out either Alfaholics or Classicalfas offerings, usually involves removing rear sway bar, by all account not a bad way to go. I have the CA version on my 74 GTV, but haven't had the chance to drive it yet since the restoration is awaiting a few shakedown miles.

DPeterson3 04-15-2019 09:24 AM

All of the aftermarket "fast road" springs will give you much improved handling, but at a definite price in roughness, and poor clearance over speed bumps and the like. As an earlier poster noted, quite nice on smooth surfaces. For everyday driving, you'll get tired of getting kicked around, and hearing scraping noises.

I recommend finding regular Euro springs to replace the US springs that were longer to meet bumper and headlight height requirements. Then, red Konis, all full soft. I'd leave on the rear sway bar with this combination.

The result will be noticeably better handling, comfortable ride, and everyday clearances over real-world roads.

I did the fast-road conversion on my Montreal. Thrilling on smooth roads. It got to where I wouldn't take it out if I was just driving around town, because of the speed bumps, driveway berms, less-than-perfect road surfaces, and so on. Any mod that makes you NOT want to drive your car should be considered closely.

But yes, taking it through the Sierras on great roads was brilliant.

Zinhead 04-15-2019 12:44 PM

The Centerline springs are similar to the old IAP springs. They were designed back in the day when the most popular wheel/tire set was a 205/60x14 or 185/70x14 with soft sidewalls. They work on a racetrack, but I found them to be much too stiff for poor quality roads.

They were replaced with a set of Alfaholics fast road springs which provide a much more comfortable ride while still be significantly stiffer and better handling that the stock setup. You can get the Alfaholics springs in different ride heights.

crackie 04-15-2019 01:40 PM

@brad fischer - yes you are right...Koni reds on rear and yellows up front...I wrote it backwards above.

OK - so it sounds like many find the Centerline springs a bit harsh. This is what I really needed to know. Seems shocks and keeping the OEM swaybars are a pretty straightforward decisions for a "fast" street car. It's the springs that require some thought.

@DPeterson3 - I had same scraping issue with my 69 Spider. Go where it really took the joy out of driving it as I was always scanning the road for a dip that would cause a bottom out. Put in some spacers and mostly solved it. Agree - don't want to be there again.

alfaparticle 04-15-2019 01:56 PM

Springs will affect the ride and handling more than shocks. Red and yellow Konis are not that different when they are set on full soft. SPAX shocks are good, they are easy to adjust and they have a wide range of adjustment.

crackie 04-15-2019 01:59 PM

I have SPAX on my 69 Spider. Came with the car. I'm not a huge fan of gas shocks, but I actually like them a lot.

Alfie Blu 04-16-2019 11:01 AM

My GTV came with red Koni's front and rear, Shankle silver springs, Shankle front swaybar (oversize bar with plate steel ends) and stock rear swaybar. I replaced the Shankle springs with Centerline yellow springs, kept the red Koni's but set them 1/4 from full soft, and kept both swaybars. The car rides much better but still feels like a sports car and corners like a go-kart. I have been very happy with the setup and I don't find the ride too harsh. However, it all depends on how you want the car to handle and ride. In the end if it is a car meant for the street, there will always be handling compromises, it should be setup to your liking.

alfaparticle 04-16-2019 11:20 AM

I had a Shankle front swaybar and I removed it. It is now on Richard Jemison's new race car. My Spider handles much better on bumpy roads with the stock bar. I had to dial in more rebound on the front shocks after the change. I have no sway bar on the rear.

Alleggerita 04-16-2019 07:36 PM

Koni reds should be in the rear and yellows in the front .... but the SPAX low pressure gas shocks that you got on your Spider are better.

Springs. Stiffer in the front regardless of source will protect your sump even if lowered. However try not to lower too much ... use shims to avoid front lower A-arms from pointing upwards ... otherwise your now subterranean roll-center will require spring rates or a front bar that will not work well with rough roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackie (Post 8400548)
I am planning a new suspension for my 74 GTV. I am looking for something that is "better" than stock, but something that is tried & true by many. My requirements: nice street performance, reasonable ride, ride height that won't scrape my sump guard on street dips and a reliably "good stance" without a bunch of spring spacer trial and error.

I've read through a fair number of threads...seems to get complex quickly with spring coil counts, rebound rates, etc. I just want something tried and true that I can install and be happy without a lot of tinkering. I'll be running 65 or 60 profile tires.

• Centerline springs
  • Koni Reds in front
  • Koni Yellow in back
  • OEM sway bars

Thanks!

CafeM 04-17-2019 05:37 AM

I was also curious about this. Can you run the Eibach springs front and back with everything else standard?
Maybe just upgrade to Red Koni shocks.

alfa_corsa 04-17-2019 11:13 AM

As another data point, I’m running Centerline Performance springs with Koni reds on my otherwise bone stock 66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. I have a front anti-sway bar but none on the rear with stock 15” steelies and 155/15 Pirellis. I absolutely love the way the car steers and handles. It doesn’t have the grip of wider wheels and rubber, but it just feels right, and the ride is comfortable and compliant.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackie (Post 8400548)

• Centerline springs
  • Koni Reds in front
  • Koni Yellow in back
  • OEM sway bars

Thanks!

carl750 04-19-2019 07:05 AM

I put the Centerline springs in 91 Spider years ago ……… probably same as they sell today. Changed nothing else. It definitely improved handling with little change in comfort. But they also definitely lowered the car …….. you have to be much more careful about bottoming out changing road surfaces (i.e. turning off street into a parking lot) ………….. I keep thinking about adding shims to raise it back up; but don't get it done.