Input on Centerline Springs, Koni Reds & OEM Swaybars - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:26 AM

Hi, I have just ordered new springs/shocks and bushes from Classic Alfa for my 1967 S2 stepfront junior.....I have attached their recommendation:

Hi, I'm looking for your thoughts on updating my 1967 S2 Stepfront GT Junior.
The car still has (To my knowledge) original suspension components and steel wheels with the exception of some bushings and track rod ends that I have replaced.
I am looking to fit new springs and dampers (Konis Reds or yellows or a mix ??) and perhaps also new alloy wheels and tyres, the car is for road use only.
I would quite like to have a lower ride height but not firm up the ride too much, hence going for 14in rather than 15in wheels.
The car feels a little loose at the rear end and quite crashy/jolty over poor surfaces.....I suspect that's most likely due to worn components and age.

Classic Alfa response:

I’ve attached a quotation showing the parts I recommend. You can type those part numbers into the search box on our website to see more information.

I included springs (Eibach and Koni Reds all round.) which are slightly stiffer and lower but still softer than our most popular handling kit. I included uprated bush kits which use rubber where this is best and polyurethane where the standard bushes are known to be too weak. The car should ride better than new, without being over-stiff.

I included 6 x 14” wheels. The key is not to go too wide with the tyres as this can spoil the steering feel.
brad fischer and Yachtman like this.

Late 67 Step front GT1300 Jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Crackie...I've got Centerline springs, Koni reds at full soft. Been running these for a long time. i have no complaints.

Observations:
- The car does sit low...with the sump protector on, I bottom out on a soda can (USA) laying horizontally.
- The car handles like a go cart.
- I recently (yesterday) replaced my aged Yokohama 205/60/14 summer performance tires with some General 195/60/14 grand touring tires - that has made a difference. Considerably softer than the ride was with the Yokos. not quite as "go cart" as before, still fun though.
- I drove 200 miles on backroads yesterday and noted that there is slight understeer. I'm running 32 psi front/30 psi rear. I'll play with the air pressure and report back.

Pat Padden
'74 GTV - owned since '92
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa View Post
As another data point, Iím running Centerline Performance springs with Koni reds on my otherwise bone stock 66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. I have a front anti-sway bar but none on the rear with stock 15Ē steelies and 155/15 Pirellis. I absolutely love the way the car steers and handles. It doesnít have the grip of wider wheels and rubber, but it just feels right, and the ride is comfortable and compliant.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns
Well that's good to hear, as this will be essentially my Duetto setup when finished. I have the yellow Centerline springs and all new bushings. The '67 had no rear bar and I've always wondered about that.

Thanks!

1967 1600 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Garage
Having run both the "Centerline style" set up, and the "Alfaholics style" set up I will chime in with my $.02 worth...
I will echo two things from previous posts that I think are most important to consider. First, how do YOU want your car to handle? And, what are your expectations for both where u will drive, and what you want your car to be capable of.
When I was running the Centerline type set up, I was very happy with with it, and I will concur with the description used by others here, that it was like a go kart. However, by that I mean it was very stiff, and the suspension did not move much, so the majority of the handling feel was a result of tire grip, and much less from suspension compliance. On a smooth road, with grippy tires, it felt great, and cornered very flat. However, even slightly rough roads were rattle going slow, and upset the car going faster. Since the factory suspension had much more lean in cornering, the stiffer suspension with flatter cornering just seemed faster, especially when paired with modern grippy tires.
I read an article later about different approaches in suspension between North American tuners, and those in Europe that got me interested, and I sourced and installed the fast road kit from Alfaholics, along with koni fellows all around, as well as their recommendations for bushings, and removal of the rear sway bar, (however, I waited to remove the rear bar until I installed everything else, and tried it out with ). The most noticeable difference was how much more lean there was dialed back into cornering. However, not nearly as much as factory, and in spite of the lean, it felt grippy, but more tossable. it felt smooth, but when the rear sway bar was removed, it seemed even more smooth, and definitely improved feeling here when transitioning corners. Further, this set up was simply more compliant, letting the suspension "work" more, and therefore even lowered about an inch the same as with the Centerline set up, bottomed out less and was less harsh over rough roads.
Being lowered, both setups were challenged over speed bumps.
I don't race, and haven't autocrossed in years, so I have no idea which setup was numbers quicker, but they both felt better and faster to me than factory, but just in different ways.

Currently: 1966 Giulia Super Previously: 1971 series ll 1750 GTV, '73 Spider Veloce, '69 Berlina, '69 GTV, '74 Spider Veloce
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:17 PM

Garage
Robin4963, pm sent. ��

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeM View Post
I was also curious about this. Can you run the Eibach springs front and back with everything else standard?
Maybe just upgrade to Red Koni shocks.
After Rebuilding The Front & Rear Suspensions (bushings, ball joints, etc. etc. - yet keeping the stock springs) On My 73 Spider The Ride Height Was Entirely Too High, (you could easily put your fist between the top of the tire and the fender well) US Federal Mandated Height? I Didn't Want To Alter The Ride Quality (not excessively anyway) So Decided To Go With Eibach Springs From Classic Alfa. There Literature States That The Springs Will Lower The Car Approximately 40mm And Are Slightly Stiffer. That's Probably Lower Than I Wanted But Was Prepared To Shim The Springs If Necessary. After Installation The Measured Ride Height Was Reduced 1". The Car Now Has The Stance Of A Euro Spec Car (not too low in my estimation) And Is Only Slightly Stiffer. I Would Recommend The Eibach Springs For A Standard/Non-Modified Car.
brad fischer likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Well that's good to hear, as this will be essentially my Duetto setup when finished. I have the yellow Centerline springs and all new bushings. The '67 had no rear bar and I've always wondered about that.

Thanks!
You're welcome.

Here's a shot of her stance with original steelies, and also 15 x 6 Maxilites with 175/70/15s.

IMG_2430 by tjveloce, on Flickr

IMG_2437 by tjveloce, on Flickr

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode