Any options other than buying repair panels from the UK - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By maire
  • 1 Post By 1750GT
  • 1 Post By Alfajay
  • 1 Post By kengta
  • 2 Post By 1750GT
  • 1 Post By Craig_m67

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Any options other than buying repair panels from the UK

Hello
I am trying to get my project started but buying parts in the UK in british pounds is proving to be a big road block for me. The exchange is terrible then theres the shipping. Is there options in North America for repair panels. Floors , inner rear arches ect.. stuff like that.
Thank you
sbadaro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 PM

For panels in the US, the obvious would be :
http://mrfiat.com/italian/alfa-romeo.html
Or
https://www.centerlinealfa.com/store

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I guess a lot depends on where you live w.r.t. shipping costs. However....I have yet to find any supplier able to pire lower than CA prices....even with the exchange rate. Take look at the other EU supppliers' pricing...and shipping from say Italy (next to impossible BTW)...or Germany (always seems to be higher than the rest). Unfortunately, parts for these cars are just plain expensive. Don't forget that almost all of these parts are produced in the Eu (most likely Italy)....so how can the prices be cheaper in North America? I have not found this to be the case yet....M2CW.
sbadaro likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 AM

Give Classic Alfa a try- their shipping rates are very good, I've been able to source parts from them, shipped to California cheaper than sourcing them domestically. I have purchased, floors, door skins and a trunk panel from them combining the order, the shipping was only $100, pretty cheap coming from the UK

Try to combine everything into a single order

Kelly
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Platinum Subscriber

If you live in the US then the exchange rate is not terrible, it is the exact opposite. I have found that Highwood Alfa have very good shipping rates and I saved close to $200 when I bought CSC headers from EB Spares.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
For panels in the US, the obvious would be :
Alfa Romeo - Italian Cars
Or
https://www.centerlinealfa.com/store
I would add Wolf Steel to that list. See: Alfa Romeo Models Which we Service

Do some research here on the BB before ordering from Wolf; some people love 'em, some hate 'em. I have had OK luck with their floor sections, but would agree that "some assembly" is required.
sbadaro likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I am in canada so unfortunately do not have the strong U.S dollar to work with, its roughly 74% on top of the UK price + shipping. Im sure for many here the few extra dollars is not a big issue but for me at the moment it is.

Really appreciate the suggestion for Wolf Steel, I called them and they seem honest enough. They mention that the Alfa parts are not stamped so will require a bit more fitting but I have to say I think its a option, im willing to wrestle with a bit of sheet metal. Supposedly they have tried to recently step of the quality and fit of the panels and if your not happy with the panels, items can be returned for a full refund.

I can have a friend pick up the parts in person and ship them to me which is a nice option. I will likely give wolf steel a shot for some bits even though I know I remember reading some not very favourable
reviews from some alfa projects but I still think its worth a try.

I will also look into the U.S suppliers and compare prices.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Last edited by maire; 04-12-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maire View Post
I am in canada so unfortunately do not have the strong U.S dollar to work with, its roughly 74% on top of the UK price + shipping. Im sure for many here the few extra dollars is not a big issue but for me at the moment it is.

Really appreciate the suggestion for Wolf Steel, I called them and they seem honest enough. They mention that the Alfa parts are not stamped so will require a bit more fitting but I have to say I think its a option, im willing to wrestle with a bit of sheet metal. Supposedly they have tried to recently step of the quality and fit of the panels and if your not happy with the panels, items can be returned for a full refund.

I can have a friend pick up the parts in person and ship them to me which is a nice option. I will likely give wolf steel a shot for some bits even though I know I remember reading some not very favourable
reviews from some alfa projects but I still think its worth a try.

I will also look into the U.S suppliers and compare prices.

Thanks so much for the replies.
But let me GUESS; when you go to value or sell your "restored with Wolf Steel Panels GTV" it will be in USD.

Maybe you need to restore at a slow rate or wait.

ken
Steve105 likes this.

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maire View Post
....Really appreciate the suggestion for Wolf Steel .....
Don't forget the adage.....you get what you pay for. I for one would never recommend their products. The one piece I bought from them was a total waste of money absolute junk.....I ended up tossing it in the bin. Before buying a large quantity of parts from them......buy just one and see how well you will be able to make it fit. If you have a lot of metal working experience you can panel beat the part into an adequate enough piece to suit you needs.
Craig_m67 and Kristianjaeger like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
Don't forget the adage.....you get what you pay for. I for one would never recommend their products. The one piece I bought from them was a total waste of money absolute junk.....I ended up tossing it in the bin. Before buying a large quantity of parts from them......buy just one and see how well you will be able to make it fit. If you have a lot of metal working experience you can panel beat the part into an adequate enough piece to suit you needs.
Iíve also binned Wolf panels (two).

I donít understand the exchange rate argument. Your buying in UK£ which is then converted to your currency of choice (Canadian, US, Aust, B Reals).. there is no point complaining about the strength (?) of the US$.. itís not relevant?

Classic Alfa in my experience are the cheapest when you include freight (Iím in Aust.) theyíre also brilliant to deal with and will fix shipping or parts issues immediately.
Kristianjaeger likes this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
If you are after some floor panels then save yourself some money on wolf steel products., just buy a piece of flat steel and fold the edges up. that is what you will get from wolf.

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. Your all correct, I’m just going to continue and slowly acquire high quality repair panels. I was looking at the wolf steel panels and they do not look anything close to the original panels.

I’ve already acquired Most of repair sections I need and now just need the passenger side sills and some floor panels plus a few little bits like front and rear sill jack points and radiation lower support, stuff like that and then hopefully be able to make this car beautiful again.

I’m also working on my 1971 911 project plus number of old series Land rovers so my little budget is being pulled in a lot of directions 🙂

Thank you for all the suggestions

Mrfiat seems like a good supplier for these hard to find bits
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Perhaps us Canadians should go in on a group buy for repair panels from Classic Alfa ! Many GTVs in need of rocker/sill repairs around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode