To weld or not to weld, that is the question. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

To weld or not to weld, that is the question.

With due credit to Shakespeare, I face the dilemma of having to choose between cutting open and having to weld the deceptively perfect outer sills to get to the rust left behind by presvious owner, or to liberally spray-in the hidden inner sills and get as much waxoyl vapour into the crevasses as I can and pray that the decision doesn't come back to bite me in a coupe of years or so.
Recommendations (actions, procedures, materials)? Name:  IMG-20190402-WA0020.jpeg
Views: 481
Size:  117.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20190324-091435.jpeg
Views: 456
Size:  29.6 KBName:  Screenshot_20190326-124119.jpeg
Views: 437
Size:  66.9 KB

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
If the sills/rockets look good and car drives well just rust protect.

If rust bubbles appear in the future you will only have added some happy miles to your car, and can then buy all 3 layers and replace.

Maybe buy the replacement panels now if you have the funds and are worried that they will stop making them.

Do not take a good looking and driving Alfa off the road. Restoration costs big $'s and time ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:21 AM

Fix it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
If the sills/rockets look good and car drives well just rust protect.

If rust bubbles appear in the future you will only have added some happy miles to your car, and can then buy all 3 layers and replace.

Maybe buy the replacement panels now if you have the funds and are worried that they will stop making them.

Do not take a good looking and driving Alfa off the road. Restoration costs big $'s and time ...
Pete
I’d agree. At some point the rust will show its self on the outer sill surface, at that point I’d start replacing metal.
brad fischer and sbadaro like this.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the input. My biggest fear is handing over a clean good running GTV to the shop and ending up with a rusty patched-up barn find...

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:13 AM

in a 105 that is being driven (Regularly driven!) sheetmetal is almost a consumable, so run it until it starts getting bad. Anything can be fixed but like Pete said, you may well be looking down the barrel of a long and expensive resto job. Are you up for that or do you want to drive the car?

Oh, and do not think for one minute that a so-called "rust free" car will not have hidden horrors like the ones you may or may not have. Drive it!
brad fischer and sbadaro like this.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 AM

I'm going through what started as an outer sill replacement, and became and inner & middle sill repair and partial restoration. The more I dig the more rust I find, and I have to find it. You can't weld properly on really rusty panels.

What was a small rust spot that my friend decided to poke with a screwdriver became an infinite, never ending void of sadness and a huge money pit. I'm really glad I know how to weld.

Don't be like me, just drive the **** thing. You will know when it's time to park her, then it is on to the rotisserie.
jthames and sbadaro like this.

~*~*~1986 Alfa Spider Graduate~*~*~
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 AM

Garage
If the Outer sills are showing no rust, and the door seams are straight, use Wurth cavity wax, if it is an occasional driver and stored in a proper garage (concrete floor) you will be driving it for a very long time. https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Pr...y-Wax/c/141601
sbadaro likes this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Drive the car until you're ready to leave it for a few weeks to repair the rust.

If you think that it's time on the rockers, there will also be the middle and inner rockers as well, obligatorily ...

So in the meantime, drive this great car and enjoy the beautiful roads of the country.

For example, a high rise from the Dead Sea to Mount Nebo !!! I really like to do it in Alfa. The sound... the turns of the road...
sbadaro likes this.

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Samer, there are a number of places that typically rust on these cars. If you look through that many different GTV restoration threads, you should be able to see what I mean. The most important things is that the frame rails (or inner rockers as some call them) are structurally sound. Some folks test the structural integrity of the frame rails by taking a screw driver and trying to puncture the frame rail from under the car. The motion that is used would be much like trying to stab someone with a knife. Just saying.

Something that could help you is a cell phone endoscope. They are relatively cheap and easy to use. Amazon has a great selection of them.
f4driver, Austin Alfa and sbadaro like this.

Brian __________________________________

post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I'm not sure how spraying Waxoyl can come back to bite you. Best case you buy yourself a whole bunch of time. Worst case it starts to bubble anyway and then you fix it.

If you look for rust on nearly any GTV you'll find it.
sbadaro likes this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
I'm not sure how spraying Waxoyl can come back to bite you. Best case you buy yourself a whole bunch of time. Worst case it starts to bubble anyway and then you fix it.

If you look for rust on nearly any GTV you'll find it.
My limited experience has been on the mid 80 restos if the inner sill was sound and middle sill funcky the body guys would weld the outer sills and that was it. No so now with the value of the cars. That is why I mentioned if the door seams are straight and the rocker is as the author states, (and its not a daily driver) the Waxoyl will greatly slow down any further deterioration. If he can jack the car up on all 4 jack points ,one at a time and the doors open and close the structure is sound.
spydaman and sbadaro like this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

If you are not going to dig in there and cut and weld with new metal, at least use a rust converter chemical first before using anything like the wax based stuff. You want to convert that rusted metal to something inert before covering, otherwise you are just covering up future trouble.
spydaman and sbadaro like this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:07 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I wouldn't try to use chemical rust converter in an enclosed space like a sill. It's not like converting the rust adds any strength back anyway.

If you coat any rust liberally with wax that'll seal out moisture and oxygen and delay further degradation. That's the best you can hope for at this point.
sbadaro and Tom Frasca like this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

You know of course that oxygen and water can migrate slowly through these wax coatings, esp if not applied thoroughly. I've read that the standard practice in auto repair shops should be to first chemically convert the rust to an inert and protective coating which prevents any more corrosion in the affected surface, ie, "treat the inside of the panel and any remaining rust with rust converter". The conversion chemicals do not create noxious/hazardous odors.

Lol, wax doesn't add any strength back either.

However, use whatever makes you comfortable. Such a nice and valuable car, if it was my car...I think I would get it fixed properly from the get go.
Steve105 and sbadaro like this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode