1975 lower sills... Angel [emoji56] on the outside, rotten [emoji83] on the inside... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By quadrifolio
  • 2 Post By 1750GT
  • 1 Post By Aggie57
  • 1 Post By quadrifolio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

1975 lower sills... Angel on the outside, rotten on the inside...

So the inevitable has to happen, the trunk cable will snap and you will remove the rear upholstery to access the latch release handle and you will bring in the long magnet probe to retrieve the rear locknut from hell which has dropped through your fingers deep into the hidden recesses of the lower inner sill, and, SURPRISE . Got more metal on the magnet than expected...
Questions :
1. Should I lick my wounds and bite the bullet, take out the misleadingly clean outer sills and open a potentially evil can of worms on the inside and start welding?
2. Or, squirt and spray and douze with rust treatment chemicals and pretend that the rust worm won't hurt me if I don't see it, in which case, what is the recommended material to use WITHOUT having to go through welding and stripping? Several brands out there (rustoleum, POR 15, Bob's, etc) which require prepping and sanding and removing the rotten rusted metal first, but I am interested in your recommendation for sprayable material, hopefully just dowsing as much as I can through whatever cavities I can access from the outside...
Anyone?Name:  Screenshot_20190324-091435.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  29.6 KB

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Is this an option?Name:  DSC_0271.jpeg
Views: 53
Size:  104.7 KBName:  DSC_0272.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  124.8 KB

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:26 AM

one thing is rust converting to nice clean metal and another thing is rust protecting to prevent any rust start again, think about it
sbadaro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
one thing is rust converting to nice clean metal and another thing is rust protecting to prevent any rust start again, think about it
True. What do you suggest?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post

The problem you face is not knowing whether the corrosion is surface rust....or heavy perforation rust that has eaten it's way through the the main middle sill. Spraying anything on top of that is like putting a band aid on top of broken bone...it won't do much except make you feel like you have.

You need to inspect the inner cavities between outer sill and middle sill in order to get a true picture of the state of affairs. To do this, open up the ends of the sills from the rear inner fender wells with a 1" diameter hole or rectangular cut-out so that you can get a visual line of sight to the cavity with a camera endoscope ...they are very inexpensive nowadays and available from ebay.
f4driver and sbadaro like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Thx.
Samer

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 PM

I’d be inclined to get hold of one of those remote camera on a stick things. And take a proper look.

Someone else will know what they’re really called and where to find one.
sbadaro likes this.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
I’d be inclined to get hold of one of those remote camera on a stick things. And take a proper look.

Someone else will know what they’re really called and where to find one.
Endoscope (like the one doctors use)... But I suppose I am trying to avoid the inevitable with so much rust and rott stuck on the tip of that magnetic probe. The outer skin does have to come out and tge rotted metal taken out before it's too late.
I believe POR 15 starter kit is designed for unpainted areas around the chassis and frame and Epoxy-based solutions are good for body panels... Anyone cares to share specific experience or knowledge of commercial brands and applications out on the market?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post

I suggest that, if the corrosion in surfaced just convert to clean metal and then apply some good primer and to protect, cavity wax is one thing you could use, there are also some good epoxys to be used, its a matter of experience of what to use when.

I use for protecting something that is called FERTAN, its a Dutch product and is very symilar to POR-15 that USA guys use over there.
sbadaro likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode