Alfa 2000 GTV '74 Change Rear Lights US -> EUR - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By bellagt
  • 1 Post By jthames
  • 2 Post By yvesmontreal
  • 1 Post By getv2000
  • 1 Post By getv2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Alfa 2000 GTV '74 Change Rear Lights US -> EUR

Hi,

Are there any (unforeseen) issues to be expected changes US rear lights with European ones?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:13 AM

The lenses are interchangeable and will fit the housing without modifications. While youíre at it, inspect/replace the gasket, screws and washers. Also expect some corrosion to the housing reflector surfaces. The screws can be replaced with similar size SS pan heads from the local hardware store; the phenolic screw washers can be replaced with rubber O-rings; search the forum for what others have done to address housing corrosion... or just replace the lenses and go for a fun drive con brio.
getv2000 likes this.

Ken
'73 GTV

Last edited by bellagt; 03-03-2019 at 06:22 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:33 AM

The only issue you might have could be in the wiring of the plugs for the replacement lenses. I got 2 from Classic Alfa and the brake and park light wires were reversed in the plugs. How do you know? Well, when you turn on the lights, the park lights are super bright (Looks like rear fog lights) and the brake lights barely do anything. The solution is just to take a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the pins out of the plugs and swap them. I commented on this in a post I made in my thread “Progress!“. It’s easy. AND you may not even have that problem. But @bellagt is correct, they fit fine into the standard orifice. Get new gaskets while you’re at it.
getv2000 likes this.

Jonathan
1974 GTV 2000 (ex-1992 Spider Veloce)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:47 AM

One issue, not with Euro vs US, but between early and late. On early assemblies, the inner bottom screw was not in the corner but next to the reflector. It probably did not seal very well, and the screw was moved to the corner, the original location becoming the date code. Only the later kind is available.
Attached Images

jthames and getv2000 like this.

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthames View Post
The only issue you might have could be in the wiring of the plugs for the replacement lenses. I got 2 from Classic Alfa and the brake and park light wires were reversed in the plugs. How do you know? Well, when you turn on the lights, the park lights are super bright (Looks like rear fog lights) and the brake lights barely do anything. The solution is just to take a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the pins out of the plugs and swap them. I commented on this in a post I made in my thread ďProgress!ď. Itís easy. AND you may not even have that problem. But @bellagt is correct, they fit fine into the standard orifice. Get new gaskets while youíre at it.

I am also replacing the clusters, will keep an eye on the brake vs parking light! Thx!
jthames likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Easy

Well that turned out to be straight forward...no issues at all. Everything worked directly using the same setup.

Thx for the comments.
jthames likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode