CarTrailer Suggestions Anyone - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Question CarTrailer Suggestions Anyone

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on what open car haulers you have used to trailer your GTV?

eg. Brand (Featherlite/Load Trail etc etc) length (14-18), build material (steel/alum), trailers with best approach angle etc. Appreciate recommendations on what others have used. My tow vehicle is a Ecoboost F150 w trailer brake controller so no barriers there.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Scrambles; 02-01-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: specified open trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:09 PM

I have owned three trailers, Trailex an open aluminum, a 20' Pace enclosed steel, and a 31' Goldrush enclosed aluminum. If I were looking for another open trailer I'd go aluminum but one constructed like a Featherlite.

Joe
Scrambles likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygtveloce View Post
I had a single axle trailer built - just the right size for my GTV.
There's a lot to be said for this approach. Years ago I bought a "Big Tex" brand trailer - it was steel, dual axle, probably 18 or 20'. The darned thing was big enough to carry a full-sized muscle car or pickup; way too big for the Alfas I was moving. Thankfully I no longer have it.

The thing about a trailer is that you seldom use it. So it needs to be stored and will deteriorate if left out in the weather. A smaller trailer is not only easier to maneuver than a big one, but also easier to store indoors.

Once you get a trailer, plan on having all your car buddies ask to borrow it. Maybe having a smaller one will give you a polite excuse to use on your domestic car-owning friends.
Scrambles likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:43 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
I have a 16' Big Tex trailer. As Jay notes, it is bigger than I need for trailering my MG (vintage race car) but as he also notes, there are often times one wants to trailer something bigger (so I like the size I choose). One worry with a single axle trailer is what would happen if a tire blows out. Buying quality tires with higher weight carrying capacity would be a good investment. I believe an aluminum trailer would have a significant weight saving over a steel trailer but the cost is likely also significantly greater.

One thing to consider for any trailer is the loading height/ramp angle. I added 6' aluminum ramps and still have to be careful as the MG is lower than even the fairly low stock ride height.

An interesting observation is that decent used trailers seem to sell for close to the price of a new trailer. And not-decent used trailers will probably need enough repairs to make their lower price moot.
Attached Images

bulletpruf and Scrambles like this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 PM

Two more thoughts from my experience: Make sure you can open the doors of the car while on the trailer, unless you like crawling in and out of the windows. And a wheeled jack on the nose is great for mobility and lowering the load angle.

Here's an example.
Attached Images

Scrambles likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Really appreciate the insights! Thank you!

I am leaning to the Featherlite 14ft with removable fenders, there is one on sale locally and though it is still pricey the ease of maneuvering and storage, and the reputation they have, seems worth the extra $$.
joegt3cup likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:26 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I really like my Featherlite trailer. A big advantage is that the removable fenders allow the car doors to be opened when it is on the trailer. I attached small door handles to the top of the fenders for ease of handling when removing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
Really appreciate the insights! Thank you!

I am leaning to the Featherlite 14ft with removable fenders, there is one on sale locally and though it is still pricey the ease of maneuvering and storage, and the reputation they have, seems worth the extra $$.
Scrambles likes this.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:29 AM

Couple of things to take into account; tow vehicle (covered), storage, cost, open vs closed. Seems most has been discussed. Good luck.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider - now back home with Dr. Rex
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Something no one has mentioned and I don't know if it is an issue south of the border, but that is safety requirements. Up here certain sizes and classes of trailers (including open trailers) require an annual safety to be road legal (eg. electric brakes). I had a 16' tandem trailer than needed an annual safety. The safety was not cheap as the trailer was not used very often and sat outside so it always needed something. I ended up selling it because it was more trouble than it was worth. Now if I need a trailer I rent one.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:20 AM

I was once considering a trailer too and I was sold on a featherlight but I made the same decision to do what 5thinline did, to rent.

But I remember a very good point made durning that time about an enclosed trailer benefits of being used as storage or an additional garage when not in use.

Darkside Member
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have had several car haulers. Here are some " musts" that I use
1. Trailer brakes
2. Low deck...drop axle
3. Long ramps...side shooter are about a foot longer but a hassle to put away.
4. Loading winch....either manual or 12v. Don't waste time on cheap.
5. Tandem axle...easier to back ...extra safety.. I've had a tire separate on a single axle on the freeway.
6. Spare tire
7. Solid reliable hitch...both vehicles..
8. Quality tie down equipment....wheel webs and axle straps
Renting is probably cost effective if you only use a couple times a year. License plate fees usually are not factored, but can run $100-$200 every other year. Aluminum should be considered if it's to be used frequently.
Cheers, Jon
bulletpruf and Scrambles like this.

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Good list. If you do buy a trailer I found, after several tire failures, that a second spare tire is really good to have. If the first tire fails, the second tire on the same side carries the load and can be damaged if you continue too long (ask me how I know). Also, I now have TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) for the trailer. This consists of little valve caps with radio contact to a screen inside of my motorhome tow vehicle where I can monitor tire pressure and temperature. Maybe overkill, but also peace of mind https://smile.amazon.com/EEZ-RV-Prod...ire+tpms&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2old4toys View Post
I have had several car haulers. Here are some " musts" that I use
1. Trailer brakes
2. Low deck...drop axle
3. Long ramps...side shooter are about a foot longer but a hassle to put away.
4. Loading winch....either manual or 12v. Don't waste time on cheap.
5. Tandem axle...easier to back ...extra safety.. I've had a tire separate on a single axle on the freeway.
6. Spare tire
7. Solid reliable hitch...both vehicles..
8. Quality tie down equipment....wheel webs and axle straps
Renting is probably cost effective if you only use a couple times a year. License plate fees usually are not factored, but can run $100-$200 every other year. Aluminum should be considered if it's to be used frequently.
Cheers, Jon
Scrambles likes this.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
New or used, these are amazing. Holds the 512 BB with ease. Side entrance. Low, long ramps.
This has double front doors, interior adjustable tire racks, winches and all kinds of options are available if going new.
Attached Images

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃

Last edited by Yachtman; 02-06-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Update on what i purchased

To circle back on this thread. I went with a 14ft wood deck Wolverine Alum Car Trailer. It pulls very nicely behind my F150 Eco boost. Extremely reasonably priced for the features. Has LED, front stowed ramps, dual axle, spare, trailer brakes. Used it to extract a rusted out 71 GTV parts car. Added a portable Superwinch powered by a Northstar battery/930 CCA. Macs brand car tie downs (which are very, very nice btw).
Hot Summer Industries ? Pontoon Trailer & Aluminum Utility Trailers

Current: 1971 US GTV 1750 - Undergoing restoration 1967 US Giulia Ti 1600
Long ago gone: 1974 Berlina 2000 (RHD) - AUS - my much loved college car.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
Congrats Scrambles.

For Aussies you canít go past Tilt-a-Trailers.........
Attached Images

Scrambles and Notch like this.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode