Is paint needed on this C-pilar before attaching a new badge? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig_m67
  • 1 Post By mygtveloce
  • 1 Post By Craig_m67
  • 1 Post By Joseph M.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is paint needed on this C-pilar before attaching a new badge?

Question
Can any of you advise me on whether I should paint the badge section of my GTV C-pilar before affixing a new badge to it?
And if so, what type of paint you would recommend for this?
(Photos attached at end of post)

Background
I removed a gold clover badge from the C pillar of my GTV 2000 so I could put a model-correct serpent badge in its place. I used a plastic auto trim removal tour to pry off the badge. The adhesive under the badge was so strong that it pulled a section of paint off the body. Fortunately, it only damaged an area of paint that will be hidden from view by the new badge.

I want to make sure that this area of the body will not be at risk of rust from any moisture that seeps behind the new badge. Part of the area with paint loss appears to be safely covered in gray primary, but there is an area where even the gray primers came off that is brown. While I donít think that brown area is body panel raw metal, Iím not sure what it is, so I canít tell if the panel has sufficient protection.

Any advice about whether itís safe to leave this as is, or it needs a primer and/or finish coat of paint for protection before attaching the new badge would be much appreciated.

Question #2: Adhesive for new badge
Finally, if anyone has advice for the best adhesive to use to attach the new badge so it holds to the car, but doesnít rip off paint if I have to replace it again in the future, I would welcome your suggestions. At the moment, Iím debating between these products:
ó 3M Super Strength Molding Tape for autos (3M product# 03614)
ó 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (3M product# 08008)

Photos attached
Iíve attached photos that show the following:
ó My C-pilar after removing badge, showing the area where the paint was pulled off. Iím guessing that the two gray areas are layers of primer, but I donít know what the brown area at top center is.
ó Back side of the gold clover badge I removed, showing the paint that was pulled off the body.
ó Back of new silver serpent badge I will put on the C-pilar. It has a flat back, with a thin raised lip at the edge. Itís not one of the badges with a recessed area in the middle.
Attached Images

* * * * * Alfa Romeo 1974 GTV 2000 * * * * *
(BMW 2001 E46 M3 | MINI Cooper 2006 R50)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Garage
So many ways to do this

Simplest, yes you need to seal the area so it doesn’t rust and so that moisture and air don’t wick under and into the filler/bog that is present.

If it was me, I’d strip the whole car and repaint (jokes.. don’t do this)

You just need to seal it. I would get some clear epoxy paint and dab/paint it carefully on so it doesn’t run down the C pillar and rear arch, but ensure it gets absorbed, wicked into and under the filler/paint to seal it

Leave it to dry and set for twice as long or longer than recommended, then just used some sikoflex or whatever brand badge glue/silicone is available and appropriate in your country/region

** using the location info on your profile will help people help you with more specific info, even a country helps
PaulGTV2000 likes this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 01-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Craig, many thanks for your reply and your detailed recommendation for painting the body panel and adhesive for the badge. Also, thanks for the tip that I add my location so people can offer more specific info, which I've now done. (I live near San Francisco in the US.)

* * * * * Alfa Romeo 1974 GTV 2000 * * * * *
(BMW 2001 E46 M3 | MINI Cooper 2006 R50)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 PM

XXX
PaulGTV2000 likes this.

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 04:49 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 AM

Garage
The 3m tape is a better idea, went blank when thinking about it
PaulGTV2000 likes this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 PM

Paint it first and use a good one like 2k Epoxy. Then scruff it so that the glue adheres. With time adhesives can become permeable and moisture will do its work.

An extreme case, but this is what happened to roofs covered with glued vinyl. Reason was the absence of paint.
Attached Images

PaulGTV2000 likes this.

Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV '73
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD
Alfa Spider Series 4 '90
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: with very low mileage
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 PM

If it were mine I'd use an aerosol primer brush on some high solids paint afterwards, once fully cured use tiger seal to bond on the badge. Tiger seal is the type of rubber bonding used to secure modern windscreens so is very strong and water tight. Only problem you'll have is removing the badge at a later stage. If you do it this way, use a big dollop in the centre of the badge and tape it in place for 24hrs.

Tags
badge, gtv, paint repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode