AR 1750 GTV from Portugal, possible fraud attempt - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

AR 1750 GTV from Portugal, possible fraud attempt

Hello dear Alfisti,
the photos attached show my Alfa.

Recently I showed these and other photos to a friend of the german Alfa Club. He said he saw some in an internet portal showing a car for sale. This information has been later confirmed by another club member. The ad must have been published in September 2018.
The car stood until 3-4 weeks ago at the company which has fully restored it. Thatīs where I bought the car over a year ago.

There were some problems with the restoration. Now I have doubts whether there were sales attempts after I had already paid the car for the most part.

If anyone has seen these photos or even responded to the ad, please contact me (even private).

Best regards,
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 AM

I haven’t seen this one but 4 years ago I was contacted by someone in Portugal. He had seen an advert I had put up after a GT Junior. He sent me images of a car he thought I’d be interested. I pasted a photo into google image search and the car was in the US not in Portugal at all. This didn’t tie up with the story I was given. It could be a coincidence or perhaps it’s the same person?

I have also seen rogue eBay listings with classic car images just lifted from other adverts. The adverts are half the price of the original listing and asking for cash deposits and listing a mobile number to call. I reported them to eBay and it took 2 weeks for the to remove the ads. Scoundrels!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
as far as I know the price was a correct market price.
The problem here is that itīs my car and I wasnīt selling it and at the time the car was at the workshop.

We had a major discussion last August, because I wasnīt satisfied with the endresult. After knowing about the ad, I know suspect that they tried to sell the car.

What Iīm trying to do is discover if someone here in the comunity did answer to this ad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:27 PM

Good Evening - I am going to weigh in on this. Looking at the plates they look like pre EC plates. I lived in Portugal twice and my car had this style of plates back in 1983-1985. Second - for what ever reason - Portuguese e-mail addresses have been used for scams for the last 10 or more years. It is so bad that many organizations and e-mail services block .pt web sites and e-mail addresses. I maintain a .pt email address because my wife has family over there. If it appears to be originating from there be very wary. There are some top notch collectors and dealers in Portugal but they also have more than their fair share of scams. If it is in Portuguese I would be more than happy to translate it. Send me a private note.

1989 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
"Old - but not too old
Young - but not too bold".
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:45 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
To the OP, are you sure you legally own this car?

Best
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

@ Igoforpogo:
Iīm from Portugal, but living in Germany some years. Unfortunatly didnīt find the ad, itīs not online anymore. The car was recently completely restored in Portugal and, as I wrote above, not everything went well.

Best regards
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

@PSk
yes, Iīm the legal owner now, but only since december.

In April and August 2018 I had signed the necessary documents to register the car in my name, but they did not hand them over to an agency as it had been arranged.
So, when the ad was online the car wasnīt legally mine altough I had already paid more than 90%.

Best regards,
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:37 AM

Contact google and ask them if they can help you out.

Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV '73
SOLD
Alfa Spider Series 4 '90
: with very low mileage
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:08 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuennes View Post
@PSk
yes, Iīm the legal owner now, but only since december.

In April and August 2018 I had signed the necessary documents to register the car in my name, but they did not hand them over to an agency as it had been arranged.
So, when the ad was online the car wasnīt legally mine altough I had already paid more than 90%.

Best regards,
Nerve racking stuff, but sounds like you are sorting it all out
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Nerve racking stuff, but sounds like you are sorting it all out
Pete
Yes, really nerve racking. And Iīm not going to tell you how many hours of sleep Iīve lost ...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph M. View Post
Contact google and ask them if they can help you out.
Hello Joseph,

how could google help me?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM

@tuennes - Please do not get me wrong. Some of the finest pieces of furniture, antiques, clothing we own were made by Portuguese craftsman/craftwomen. I love the country, the people (fair warning - my wife is Portuguese), and the FOOD! Things are not as they once were. Sorry you had problems with the rebuild.

1989 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
"Old - but not too old
Young - but not too bold".
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoforpogo View Post
@tuennes - Please do not get me wrong. Some of the finest pieces of furniture, antiques, clothing we own were made by Portuguese craftsman/craftwomen. I love the country, the people (fair warning - my wife is Portuguese), and the FOOD! Things are not as they once were. Sorry you had problems with the rebuild.
I didnīt got you wrong.
Yeah, I miss the good food, wine and sun...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuennes View Post
Hello Joseph,

how could google help me?
Hi, You can send them the pics and ask who uploaded them

Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV '73
SOLD
Alfa Spider Series 4 '90
: with very low mileage
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph M. View Post
Hi, You can send them the pics and ask who uploaded them
Yes, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in