Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   GT (1963-1977) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/)
-   -   Wolf steel floor pans (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/671022-wolf-steel-floor-pans.html)

RIQUE 11-09-2018 04:27 AM

Wolf steel floor pans

My 72's front floor pans need replacement. I have found a company called wolf steel that makes them but they are rather odd
looking. Anybody here use these and can comment on fit and quality ?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/61...1a9cab48bb.jpg

ossodiseppia 11-09-2018 04:49 AM

Wolf Steel has been around for quite a while. Their panels are hand beaten over wooden patterns. I've never used any of their products, but as I understand it, they can be a bit tough to work with. If you can work with sheet metal, these are a good value for someone on a budget.

I know @gprocket has worked with the roundtail quarter panels from Wolf Steel, but I'm not so sure about the floor pans.

DPeterson3 11-09-2018 06:03 AM

I found their product to be unacceptable. The panels from the usual suspects in Europe and the UK were much better.

Alfar7 11-09-2018 06:34 AM

Well...

I`delivered a `63 Spider to the "Owner" back about 1995, who`s shop was south of Montreal. His metal work was done in Montreal at a metalsmith`s shop and all done by hand. No stampings. But the bodies (custom not Alfas) were really beautiful. I assume the Shop in Montreal is still doing the fabricating, but that owner (I understand) is now living on the northwest coast and in the pot raising business, helping keep the West coast goofy!.

ossodiseppia 11-09-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfar7 (Post 8336864)
I`delivered a `63 Spider to the "Owner" back about 1995, who`s shop was south of Montreal. His metal work was done in Montreal at a metalsmith`s shop and all done by hand. No stampings. But the bodies (custom not Alfas) were really beautiful. I assume the Shop in Montreal is still doing the fabricating, but that owner (I understand) is now living on the northwest coast and in the pot raising business, helping keep the West coast goofy!.

HUH?

Alfajay 11-09-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossodiseppia (Post 8336846)
Wolf Steel has been around for quite a while. Their panels are hand beaten over wooden patterns. .... If you can work with sheet metal, these are a good value for someone on a budget.

I have used Wolf Steel panels, though my bodyman did the installation. My sense is that ossodiseppia's comments are accurate: the Wolf panels definitely look like they were made in a simple sheet metal shop, not by a big factory with sophisticated tooling.

A few things in Wolf's defense:

- Some of their panels are a bargain (though some are priced comparable to more the sophisticated panels from Classic Alfa and others in Europe).

- If you live in North America and are cost-conscious, Wolf will be able to ship at a lower cost relative to the European suppliers. Factor that in when comparing prices.

- Wolf's parts are intended to be inserted into assembled cars, patching rusted-out areas. So sometimes their shape differs since they aren't duplicating the way the factory built these cars from scratch.

- Upon seeing a Wolf panel, my bodyman said "I could have fabricated a panel of this quality myself, but given the # of hours it would have taken me, the cost from Wolf was an OK deal".

1750GT 11-09-2018 08:06 AM

If you are a stickler for detail (and quality)....avoid Wolf steel panels. They're inferior in all respects.

IMO....the absolute best quality reproduction panels come from BiondiLamierati (manufacturers)...second would be the European & British (suppliers ....manufacturers are unknown).

jthames 11-09-2018 10:39 AM

You can order top-quality pans from Jon Norman at Alfa Parts here in Berkeley. His are from either the German people or the UK people, and both are good.

RIQUE 11-09-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPeterson3 (Post 8336856)
I found their product to be unacceptable. The panels from the usual suspects in Europe and the UK were much better.

I saw this coming. I guess its pans from Classic Alfa..

Thanks guys.

Craig_m67 11-09-2018 05:43 PM

You could buy the full length floors, they’re cheaper (middle ground) and still a good fit.

https://classicalfa.com/products.php...ER-1970%252d93

I’ve bought wolf panels before, they’re not at all accurate/correct Your body guy(or you) will spend the difference between them and good reproductions fettling them to fit. It’s a false economy.

Craig

gprocket 11-09-2018 05:59 PM

2218 Attachment(s)
Wolf steel has its place - unfortunately floor pans are not that place. There are some parts that are not available anywhere else (eg, the upper plate behind the seats in a Duetto), there are parts that they don't make but willing to duplicate if you can give them a sample (eg, Berlina rockers), and there are parts that they do at a far better price then others that are equivalent quality (eg, Duetto rear wings for thousands less). Then there are the floors. I've spoken with the current owner (who is a great guy and is eager to support the community) and suggested that he either upgrade the floors or drop them. To date he's done neither (not that he's obligated to listen to me). In fairness, I believe Wolf was providing panels before anyone seriously considered importing them from Europe. So you could thank Wolf for providing a cost effective option for cars that we're worth so little for so long.

Jim G 11-09-2018 07:10 PM

Wolf steel was the first to offer any type of rust replacement panels. I believe they started in either the late 70's or early 80's. They were the only ones out there making panels until the cars actually started climbing in value and others entered the market.

To be fair. Yes. Their panels are not perfect. But many, many Alfas were saved from the scrapyards over the years when they were not worth much.