• 1 Post By Alfajay
  • 1 Post By Neil Martin
  • 1 Post By vintagemilano
  • 1 Post By 60sRacer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Alternator failure? Or not?

Hey Alfisti,

I'm looking for some guidance regarding a potential alternator issue.

I have a '72 GTJ1300 (2l fitted). I was out for a drive on Friday night, the car was running sweetly. Then the alternator warning light would become fully lit for sustained periods - perhaps 2 or 3 mins, then revert to normal behaviour.

Eventually it become fully lit permanently. Once home I performed some diagnostics with the voltmeter. Results are:

Battery reading, engine off - 12.45v
Battery reading, idle - 12.89v
Battery ready with some rpms added - between 13.5v and 14.6v, revs dependant.

I'm taking this as the battery being good, and also the alternator providing a charge.

Is the warning light lying to me? I cleaned up fuses/terminals 6 and 7 and inspected the alternator - belt looks good etc.

What else can I check? I have a sneaky feeling this is an electrical gremlin rather than impending alternator failure but what do you think?

Also, the car is just back from the shop after having electronic ignition fitted? Would it be wrong to assume some wiring may have been disturbed? Earth strap perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:42 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
A fully charged battery (with everything off) should read 12.6V. 12.3 is half-charged.

When the warning light illuminated had you switched on any additional loads (wipers, blower motor, etc)?

When dealing with any electrical issues, the first thing I do is make sure all connections are 100%. Don't assume they are OK because they look good or feel tight - one by one remove, clean and secure. Especially with connections to aluminum - aluminum oxides can be aluminum colored so not plainly obvious like rust on steel. I like to clean the connection area and apply some dielectric grease. This helps prevent corrosion but will not impede a properly snug electrical connection.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
When dealing with any electrical issues, the first thing I do is make sure all connections are 100%. Don't assume they are OK because they look good or feel tight - one by one remove, clean and secure. Especially with connections to aluminum - aluminum oxides can be aluminum colored so not plainly obvious like rust on steel.
ghnl offers good advice, particularly when dealing with 1970's era Alfa alternator systems. These alternators use an external voltage regulator, which is typically mounted in front of the battery / to the left of the radiator. The weakest component in the system is the harness connecting the alternator-regulator. It's possible that your problem is as simple as a corroded or partially-broken connector on that harness. The alternator end tends to degrade as it is subject to the heat from the exhaust manifold.

If you check that harness and are convinced that it's OK, then the alternator is the next most likely component to be bad (or in your case, intermittent). The regulators can also fail, but in my experience, are the most reliable of the three components.

Quote:
Is the warning light lying to me?
It sounds as if your light is working correctly. There isn't much that can go wrong with a warning light; when they fail, the symptom is usually that they are dark all the time (e.g., blown bulb, broken connection). They don't fail by flashing on and off randomly.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 11-04-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post

When the warning light illuminated had you switched on any additional loads (wipers, blower motor, etc)?
The only additional load was from the interior light. Everything else was off.

This is great advice guys - I'm new to the world of classics and also new to the world of fixing cars myself so I'm learning on the go

So, next job is to fully clean all connections and go from there.....what is your recommended routine for this?

I'm proposing

- Clean connectors with fine sandpaper/small wire brush
- Blast with compressed air
- Clean again with contact cleaner
- Apply all contact surfaces with dielectric grease and re-attach

What do you think?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
I like the small wire brush. Even fine sandpaper can remove too much material - best is to remove only the corrosion.
tom77 likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 AM

If you have a Bosch installation, the regulator and alternator are connected through 3 wires.
(I suppose for other systems the setup is quite the same)
I would certainly check the wiring (actually, three wires) going from the alternator to the regulator.

Are the connectors on both sides in good shape? Mine once was disconnected at the alternator side...
No bended or damaged cables?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77 View Post
I'm proposing
- Clean connectors with fine sandpaper/small wire brush
- Blast with compressed air
- Clean again with contact cleaner
- Apply all contact surfaces with dielectric grease and re-attach
What do you think?
Well, that's the "right" way to do it. But honestly, you can begin by just looking for major problems - things like frayed and broken wires. It isn't unusual to find just a few strands still connected to the terminals on these 45 year old harnesses.
tom77 likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Update!

Spent some time checking and cleaning the wiring and connectors - no obvious fraying or looseness.

No change to the warning light - it remains lit.

I did do another voltage check, paying a bit more attention to the readings:

Engine off - 12.7v
Engine at idle (no other electrical load) - 12.9v

I'm expecting a clear 0.5v charge at this point right?

If so, it seems clear I'm only getting a partial charge and suggests the alternator is indeed on it's last legs.

What would you recommend to replace? Alfaholics supply a refurb unit for a reasonable cost which I would try to fit myself - provided it's a like for like swap.

Or should I be looking at an upgrade with internal voltage regulator? I guess this would mean one less junction to cause problems but the downside is some wiring changes, which I'm not confident to tackle myself.

On the upside, a good clean of the ground connections has resolved two electrical issues with my rear light/turn signals! Every cloud and all that.....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:07 AM

Garage
Should be charging properly at idle, 14 volts or so. I tested a new alternator the other day by running it up using an electric rattle gun and it gave 14.5 straight off.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spackman View Post
Should be charging properly at idle, 14 volts or so. I tested a new alternator the other day by running it up using an electric rattle gun and it gave 14.5 straight off.
Ok, new alternator time then. Keeping to my ethos of always improving the car, I will get the integrated alternator/volt regulator.

Thanks for everyone's input
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77 View Post
Ok, new alternator time then. Keeping to my ethos of always improving the car, I will get the integrated alternator/volt regulator.
Again, the fault may be in your regulator, rather than alternator. But one or the other does seem bad, so if you replace them with a more modern alternator with integrated regulator, you should eliminate the problem.

In terms of where to get a replacement: later Alfa spiders, as well as Milanos, used an internally-regulated Bosch alternator that will bolt on to an earlier Alfa engine. These are available from the usual parts suppliers. Even a used unit is a good bet, as the brush/regulator assemblies are inexpensive and simple to replace. The modification to your car's wiring will be pretty simple and is well-documented here on the BB.
tom77 likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 11-13-2018 at 06:56 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Having recently suffered alternator gremlins at Monterrey this year let me caution that problems can be intermittent and confounding. In my case it was no charge and no red light.

I first suspected the bulb was burn, so no current to excite the alternator. Pulled the alternator (no small feat on my v6 converted 67 which has a late model Milano alternator beneath a a/c compressor on a bespoke mount all of which had to be removed) and had it checked in Watsonville where it was pronounced "OK" On re install it was making electricity again till the last day of the Monterrey week.

Made it to 50 miles of home then got flat bedded the rest of the way.

On tear down the brushes/slip rings were worn making intermittent contact and finally gave up taking the regulator down as well. would work for a while, then not and finally forever not.

all better now.

Many off the shelf rebuilt alternators (and generators and starters) are junk. I would try and find a crusty shop with an old guy who has been doing them for years, have yours diagnosed and completely rebuilt.

Just my 2 cents.
tom77 likes this.

Neil
1958 Touring Spider in restoration
1963 Giulia Spider "slightly" abnormale
1967 Giulia Sprint GT (aka Stepnose) with 3.0 V6 and a/c
Now full time in Magalia CA.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I too think another alternative to a new alternator is just to find your local starter/generator/alternator rebuild shop and get them to do it. Well worth seeing if you have a local one at least.
tom77 likes this.

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 PM

It's fairly easy to replace the brushes in an alternator, and polish the commutator of the alternator axle.

You can get a perfect fit of the brushes to the rotor by taping a piece of 200 grit W/D paper to the commutator and hand rotating the assembly to form the brushes to the commutator.

BTW - one of the best ways to clean terminals is a pencil eraser. It's just the right grit to get the oxides off but not damage the metal. Been used in the electronics industry. Also - NOT one of those big Pink Pearl erasers.

I agree the later alternators with integrated regulators are much more reliable. Most are also higher amperage capacity. I got mine from APE.

Robert
tom77 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode