I'm looking for some guidance regarding a potential alternator issue.
I have a '72 GTJ1300 (2l fitted). I was out for a drive on Friday night, the car was running sweetly. Then the alternator warning light would become fully lit for sustained periods - perhaps 2 or 3 mins, then revert to normal behaviour.
Eventually it become fully lit permanently. Once home I performed some diagnostics with the voltmeter. Results are:
Battery reading, engine off - 12.45v
Battery reading, idle - 12.89v
Battery ready with some rpms added - between 13.5v and 14.6v, revs dependant.
I'm taking this as the battery being good, and also the alternator providing a charge.
Is the warning light lying to me? I cleaned up fuses/terminals 6 and 7 and inspected the alternator - belt looks good etc.
What else can I check? I have a sneaky feeling this is an electrical gremlin rather than impending alternator failure but what do you think?
Also, the car is just back from the shop after having electronic ignition fitted? Would it be wrong to assume some wiring may have been disturbed? Earth strap perhaps?
Thanks in advance