Notch's '67 GT Veloce - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:46 AM

Let's assume for Notch's engine the pistons have seized on to the liners, that is the alloy of the pistons has melted onto the steel liner walls then it may be they can only be removed as one unit, since the con-rod is still attached to the piston, it may mean you have to sacrifice the con-rods to save the block.
Would you use the liners and pistons again or conrods from a seized engine? No!

So once you have removed the sump and crank and timing cover and cylinder head. If the block is not corroded at the base of the liners then how would you proceed?

I would mill out the top of the piston so the con rod can be tapped upwards towards the top of the block, then bore a hole large enough through the centre of what is left of the piston to give access to the centre to use the standard liner pulling tool.

This is assuming the lower skirts of the pistons do not interfere with the tool at the bottom of the liner in that case, you have to mill away the piston skirt base to get clearance for the tool.
Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 05-25-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
That was quick, spread sheets can come in handy!

Last edited by Steve105; 05-25-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Question Interior colours

[QUOTE=Steve105;8353876]Nero fumo does not equal smoke black or black smoke. Literal translations of Italian phrases are some times incorrect. Think white smoke diffusing the black = dark grey.

You conversation has just saved me from ordering black seat covers for my 66 GTV!! Many thanks!

My car was also originally Nero Fumo but now has black/tan leather and horrible non original red carpets.

Question: what colour would the carpets have been black or grey? I notice the likes of CA supply both.

Regards
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifremantle View Post
My car was also originally Nero Fumo but now has black/tan leather and horrible non original red carpets.
Question: what colour would the carpets have been black or grey? I notice the likes of CA supply both.
Regards John
Hi John,
Good question. I had a quick look in the English only parts manual and found on page 445 and 456 for Rhd a listing. The GTV 1600 had lampblack or red.
If Pauls car's carpets are original see photo in post no. 33 which I have reposted here, I think they look like grey carpets, could they have been black carpets and just faded?

Sorry, but I'm not 100% satisfied with this English version of the parts manual I have, as I suspect over simplifications and omissions occurred when they would get stuck in translating tricky words, I will have to keep looking for another documented source, as I too have to work out what colour to pick for my GTV.
Cheers Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve105; 05-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM

Garage
I think these were charcoal/black.. they fade (or break down) really badly. A bit like white plastic from the 80s turning yellow from the bromine interacting with light (which can be reversed apparently).

Ask Osso, he has done some amazing work determining the colours of things using
manuals, literature and originals when he was restoring his Duetto.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Paul’s carpets are clearly grey compared to the centre console and hand brake.
I gather repro door panels in grey are not available? However they shouldn’t be too difficult to remake

Another question - should the rear shelf be grey too or black?

Regards
John

PS Not sure of the protocols here and not wanting to hijack Paul’s thread.
Should I start a new one as this is just the start of my own resto journey?
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:41 PM

Carpets were dark grey: the colour being closer to the less-faded section shown in Steve105's picture between the seat and sill. They were never jet black.
post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifremantle View Post
PS Not sure of the protocols here and not wanting to hijack Paul’s thread.
Should I start a new one as this is just the start of my own resto journey?
Good question about carpet as I think this will also help Notch out as well when he comes to getting new carpets. Your car's rear parcel shelf would be nero fumo (dark grey) like Notch's car, not black. I would start another thread and post some pictures of car, carpet and seats there.
Cheers Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 05-27-2019 at 05:07 AM.
post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Carpets were dark grey: the colour being closer to the less-faded section shown in Steve105's picture between the seat and sill. They were never jet black.
Thank you.
See this post which will assist Notch and other GT Veloce 1600 and GT Sprint owners.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-...ts-manual.html
Cheers Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 05-27-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode