Notch's '67 GT Veloce - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks to @Ranz, @Andrew & @GTV-074....really appreciate it!

I now know exactly what Im looking at!

Also, thanks Paul for the link, I think this will come in very handy soon too! Cheers!

Notch (aka: Paul)

105 newbie in search of knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After nearly two months, I have finally heard back from Alfa Romeo regarding my Veloce, this is the result:

Chassis # AR299756
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce RHD (105.37)
Production date: 1967, October 17th
Delivery date: 1967, October 20th
Market destination: Hindmarsh (Australia)
Exterior color: Biancospino
Interior: Nero fumo

Still waiting on the hard copy from them but happy to have the above details.

Can someone tell me if their records are reasonably accurate? It says my interior should be Nero Fumo (which i assume is black of some description) but my interior is definitely brown....??

Cheers!

post #78 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch View Post
After nearly two months, I have finally heard back from Alfa Romeo regarding my Veloce, this is the result:

Chassis # AR299756
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce RHD (105.37)
Production date: 1967, October 17th
Delivery date: 1967, October 20th
Market destination: Hindmarsh (Australia)
Exterior color: Biancospino
Interior: Nero fumo

Still waiting on the hard copy from them but happy to have the above details.

Can someone tell me if their records are reasonably accurate? It says my interior should be Nero Fumo (which i assume is black of some description) but my interior is definitely brown....??

Cheers!

Nero fumo = Smoke black, or would that be charcoal?
Notch likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi @ossodiseppia,

I assumed it would be a black or charcoal colour given the 'fumo' (smoke).....its just interesting that the car has a brown interior....

I've actually wondered if it may have been changed at the dealership to satisfy a clients request....I worked at an Alfa dealer years ago and I remember the sales guys organising to swap interiors because a client wanted a specific exterior/interior colour combination that wasn't currently in stock in Australia....would have been a whole lot easier to swap out the interiors back in 1967!

Interesting.....

post #80 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:17 AM

Nero fumo does not equal smoke black or black smoke. Literal translations of Italian phrases are some times incorrect. Think white smoke diffusing the black = dark grey.
Probably some one in the paint shop with an arts background, making up names or using terminology that is common in Italian.
For example the English language has terms like 'duck blue', this does not refer to a blue duck but to a particular duck's eggs which are a shade of blue!
Your seats appear to me to be definitely dark grey = nero fumo as per your build document. I also have seats the same color.
Cheers Steve
Attached Images

Notch likes this.

Last edited by Steve105; 12-23-2018 at 01:50 PM.
post #81 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers for the clarification @Steve105.... Appreciate it mate!

I have a bit of colour blindness and I would have sworn my seats were brown 😂😂

Thanks again!

post #82 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redback View Post
Attachment 1539098

It's not that hard I'm sure you'll have fun pulling the motor out and dropping it back in.The trick is to have the right equipment.
Hey Joe!

It was really great to meet you on Saturday night and also catch up with Tim after all these years. It's really nice to now be able to put a face to your username here on AlfaBB.

Thanks again for showing us your car, it really is a credit to you.....stunning machine!

I trust we will catch up again at another Alfa meet sometime in the future....I will be looking forward to it! 👍🏼👍🏼

Cheers mate!

post #83 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:45 PM

Garage
Hi Paul,

shannons have a step front at their next auction. i'm pretty sure the seats are the colour yours should be. they are a dark grey but appear black in the photos.

cheers ian

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...8M4826DD5DFMV/
cucinando likes this.

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #84 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey @ITALCAROZ,

Sorry for the late reply, I havent been on a lot lately due to work commitments.

Thats a real nice looking Scalino in the Shannons auction....its like an awesome version of mine , will be interesting to see what it goes for.

So....what's everyone's thoughts on going with just normal black for the interior. My whole interior trim work needs replacement anyway, and I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon....I just thought I'd see what peoples opinions are on changing stuff like that. I know it will potentially harm the resale value of the car potentially (if someone is looking for a totally original car).....but the car is never going to be a concourse contender while its in my possession, so I figured why not, black is easier to come by from what I've seen..... thoughts anyone?

Cheers guys!

post #85 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:30 AM

Hi Notch,
If you don't like your original SKAI colour nero fumo (dark grey) you have either beer colour or fawn colour in vinyl or red or dark brown in leather. For vinyl there are no grey door card sets available. Which means you will need to have them made up from scratch (correct Alfa grey vinyl is available) you will need to salvage your stainless trims.
Some reproduction door and side cards have plastic trims instead of stainless trims. It just depends on the look you want. So you may need to have the door cards made up from scratch in black any way so no real saving at all if you want stainless trims!
I can't say if the grey interior was rare based on not being able to buy reproduction door cards.
Since you have a connection with the previous owner/history I doubt you need to check with them if it is okay, they too may prefer black.

In the end we are only minders of the cars, what ever state i.e. exterior paint colour and trim colour be it originally or not. The seats were optioned in vinyl or leather. It may matter more in the immediate future as you have indicated, as for the long term future is not an issue for you.
As to what is involved time/cost/loss in value with regards to redoing the car in black, I don't know probably a cost of $5k plus to make black( then another $5k to remove black interior, re-trim interior in grey, reinstall interior: head liner carpets etc...). Plastic parts that make up the seats are fragile and don't like being removed. Damaging/destroying these plastic parts is not what you want to be doing! So a $10k plus exercise!
I have not seen the car, but I thought from pics you really only needed to fix up the bases of the front seats, just buy some grey vinyl and get seat bases and door cards made up. More sympathetic to car's current state, of not doing too much unless you have to. Otherwise I think a complete interior could be done further down the line after your engine repairs and other mechanical repairs so your new interior does not get damaged while the other repairs are going on. From experience mechanical repairs/rebuilds of engines, diffs, gearboxes, suspension brakes are not an over night exercises (you know this already from your experience with cars). Don't forget the mechanics of the seats, steel frames of the front and rear seats, springs, clips, hinges etc, all need to be checked, painted/plated .. it all takes time .. years.
I guess you already said it yourself: it's selling point is 'if someone is looking for a totally original car', as soon as you change the interior colour to black (which is not original) you lose your selling point!

Cheers Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 05-27-2019 at 05:27 AM.
post #86 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:19 AM

Garage
gt veloces have a basket weave patten. so its hard to replicate.

try elvezio

https://www.elvezio.com/en/alfa-rome...gt-veloce.html

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #87 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:33 AM

Classic Alfa have the basket weave in grey, black or light brown and the plain vinyl you can purchase off the role for $44.80/m AUD
https://classicalfa.com/products.php...AVE-VINYL-SKAI
We have rolls of the correct original basketweave style Skai pattern vinyl to suit all 105 Series cars. This is the dark grey colour often seen in early GT Coupe. If you need a section to complete a trim job or repair a seat panel, then you can order the material by the metre. Rolls are 1.4m wide and the price is per 1 metre length.
post #88 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:18 AM

Hi Paul,
I think dealing with owning a totally original state car no matter what condition it's in poses numerous dilemmas on how to proceed. Especially for any proposed changes to trim colour, mechanical parts and body.
In the end the car dictates what it wants from you! Once you understand that, your decision of how to proceed is obvious. I did not say painless, just obvious.
You've probably been thinking this yourself for a while, I will just say it: Your car is telling me it needs a new engine as yours is seized i.e. preferably a AR00536 1600cc engine or a AR00526 engine from a 4 door, (last resort a AR0548 engine from a 105 1750) As long as you keep the original engine with the car your changes can be easily reversed if you use a different engine. A review of the gearbox for wear on bearings/gears/ syncros/sleeves, diff review for wear on gears and bearings and a review of wear on brakes and suspension as well as tail shaft reviewed and a review of how much of the interior really needs to be repaired.
Basically you are bringing the car out of long term storage and are recommissioning it to run as it should. Get some quotes for work, do some of the work you can safely do with out risking yourself or the damaging the car. A damaged high arch car GTV sold recently in the mid 20's in Australia. That is not an option for as you said you want to be driving the car so not selling it any time soon.
Put a budget and time line together, start calling around some of the workshops or here on this forum for a running 1600 engine or a 1600 block to start a rebuild. Allocate at least $20k say over 2 years, have engine and gearbox heater and cooling system done this year, 2nd year tail shaft, diff and brakes and other electrical and then interior.
Good luck
Cheers Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 01-29-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #89 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi guys,

Cheers for your comments!

@Steve105, your last post pretty well summed up what I have been thinking about. My priority is to get the engine removed and either rebuilt or replaced in order to keep the original engine intact (still yet to be decided). I had fully planned to investigate gearbox and diff condition during this time and then concentrate on suspension and brakes once I have a running engine back in the car. Currently I have removed the carbs and I am going through the process of cleaning and reconditioning these (mainly as it is easy and able to be done after work at night). See if you can spot the difference in the attached photo and this is only cleaned in my parts washer. Planning on vapour blasting after disassembly and prior to reassembly.

Im not planning on doing anything to the interior until it is running, able to drive correctly, turn corners and stop.....then the interior will be sorted. Cheers for your comments though @Steve105, really appreciate the input....and glad to hear that what I was planning is probably correct

@ITALCAROZ, cheers for the link to Elvezio, appreciate it mate! One query for you guys, when the trim is listed as 'SKAI' what does that actually mean? Is that the basket weave pattern?

Cheers guys!

Attached Images

post #90 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to cucinando
"Skai" = vinyl in Alfa-speak.
Notch likes this.

Gavin Cooke
'66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (project
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode