Found a GTC Basket Case - Thoughts on Value? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Found a GTC Basket Case - Thoughts on Value?

All -

I stumbled across a GTC basket case. LHD. Haven't seen much of it (mostly covered up), but I believe it to be complete, although in need of a total restoration. I don't have a price yet but I believe it's something that can be bought.

Yes, I know you need more pictures and details. I'll work on those. But in the meantime, what is the going rate for one that needs a complete restoration? And anyone have any idea of the parts that would be difficult (impossible?) to source?

Looks like a restored one brought $150k or so - https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/19...eo-giulia-gtc/ That's a data point.

Thanks,

Scott

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Here's one that Alfaholics sold, but no idea on price. https://www.alfaholics.com/cars-for-...-find-project/

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Here's one that Alfaholics sold, but no idea on price. https://www.alfaholics.com/cars-for-...-find-project/
They only built 1000 ...
bulletpruf likes this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
A car that needs a complete restoration can mean a great many things. Missing parts, rust and crash damage can drive the cost up. There are some unique, impossible to find parts on a GTC. Make sure it is a complete car.
bulletpruf likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:26 PM

The rear trunk lid is a different size to standard GT, floor and sill repairs are more complex than standard due to extra bracing. Chrome bumper bars rare as hens teeth, Grille is now available but not cheap....... But if the price is right you will have a sought after model. I will put some images of a car I saw some years ago in the car restoration column.
Tim
bulletpruf likes this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 AM

I think I know pretty well the GTC (I have the third who is waiting for is turn to be restored).

You have to make sure that your car is complete , no matter the state.

There is a lot of subtleties between a GTC and a coupe and some sparts are special for GTC.

Make sure you have all the chrome and system for rear windows (very very "hard to find" parts).

Trunk lid, rockers, A pillers, reinforcments on dashboard and under front mask and soft top structure are specific. You must be a good body builder or have a friend with body shop :-)

You can adapt market rear fenders.

If the car you're talking about is a basket case, 15k US $ is a top price for her. You will spent 95k + US $ to restore for a perfect state. (and you will do personal a lot of job).

Chris
bulletpruf likes this.

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhausted View Post
The rear trunk lid is a different size to standard GT, floor and sill repairs are more complex than standard due to extra bracing. Chrome bumper bars rare as hens teeth, Grille is now available but not cheap....... But if the price is right you will have a sought after model. I will put some images of a car I saw some years ago in the car restoration column.
Tim
Thanks, Tim. Great input.

Scott

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescara View Post
I think I know pretty well the GTC (I have the third who is waiting for is turn to be restored).

You have to make sure that your car is complete , no matter the state.

There is a lot of subtleties between a GTC and a coupe and some sparts are special for GTC.

Make sure you have all the chrome and system for rear windows (very very "hard to find" parts).

Trunk lid, rockers, A pillers, reinforcments on dashboard and under front mask and soft top structure are specific. You must be a good body builder or have a friend with body shop :-)

You can adapt market rear fenders.

If the car you're talking about is a basket case, 15k US $ is a top price for her. You will spent 95k + US $ to restore for a perfect state. (and you will do personal a lot of job).

Chris
Excellent input, Chris. Exactly the type of information that I was looking for. Surprised to hear $15k, but I understand how difficult it can be to source un-sourceable parts.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Here are the pics. Difficult to get a good pic of the entire car given how it's sitting in the garage. The owner said he has all the parts to put it back together. Looks like it was disassembled for the restoration that never began.

The original color is apparently the light aqua that's on the dash. Must have been a stunning car when new.

Let's say the original parts are all available and useable. Roughly what would the car be worth as it sits? And if done on a very high level, I am thinking this is a $150,000 car?

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:49 AM

Garage
judging by the radiator support and engine bay it looks very solid and straight. floors are good too. I wouldn't call it a basket case. I pictured a car full of rust. no idea on value.

cheers ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:20 AM

It's not at all a basket case, trust me. It's a second hand car prepared for painting

She seems to be a 1964 car. The base is very solid and it's far from what I was thinking about. I am so used with crazy projects...

I don't know the asking price, but in Italy cars are not cheap. Hope it's not over 15K€. There is one for sale (but not sold of course) in France for 37K€ (it's always good to dream).

I insist, but make sure you have all the parts for complete rear window chrome/fitting/details/mechanism...

The rear seat is specific as well. But you can modified a "normal" one to a GTC one... (you must have a good friend, not painter here but in upholstery world )

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 03:48 AM

wow! thats a nice find!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescara View Post
It's not at all a basket case, trust me. It's a second hand car prepared for painting

She seems to be a 1964 car. The base is very solid and it's far from what I was thinking about. I am so used with crazy projects...

I don't know the asking price, but in Italy cars are not cheap. Hope it's not over 15K€. There is one for sale (but not sold of course) in France for 37K€ (it's always good to dream).

I insist, but make sure you have all the parts for complete rear window chrome/fitting/details/mechanism...

The rear seat is specific as well. But you can modified a "normal" one to a GTC one... (you must have a good friend, not painter here but in upholstery world )
Chris -

Good input. Owner said it's a '66. At least that's what I thought I heard.

Scott

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Scott,

You’ve asked what it might be worth if restored to perfection.

Obviously, the best any of us can offer are opinions, not guarantees.

In my opinion, the GTC is a cool car, but not one with a unique value. It is relatively rare, but that’s about it. It is not a high-performance Alfa, the model has no racing history, it is not really a styling break-through, and it offers nothing that a similar-year Duetto wouldn’t do as well.

Someone might want a perfect GTC to complete their collection of Sprint GT, GTA, GTV, and GTC. Not sure how many of those collectors are around.

My hunch is that $150k would be an anomaly. Consider the other Alfas, all more desirable, that could be had for that money.

Having said that, I AM in the club that believes all old, low-production Alfas will appreciate with time. It’s just a matter of how long you must wait.
bulletpruf likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Scott,

You’ve asked what it might be worth if restored to perfection.

Obviously, the best any of us can offer are opinions, not guarantees.

In my opinion, the GTC is a cool car, but not one with a unique value. It is relatively rare, but that’s about it. It is not a high-performance Alfa, the model has no racing history, it is not really a styling break-through, and it offers nothing that a similar-year Duetto wouldn’t do as well.

Someone might want a perfect GTC to complete their collection of Sprint GT, GTA, GTV, and GTC. Not sure how many of those collectors are around.

My hunch is that $150k would be an anomaly. Consider the other Alfas, all more desirable, that could be had for that money.

Having said that, I AM in the club that believes all old, low-production Alfas will appreciate with time. It’s just a matter of how long you must wait.
Thanks, Don. Appreciate the input. I'm not seriously interested in it myself; more of just a curiosity at this point. I could probably afford the purchase price, but the subsequent divorce attorney would drain me...

Scott
divotandtralee likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode