Flywheels and teeths - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Flywheels and teeths

Hi there you knowledgeable bunch of Alfistis!

Can someone quadrifoliant outthere provide me with a simple and understandable overview of the different flywheels and their number of teeths per engine

like:

1300 cc engine
8 Hole flywheel = X number of teeths
6 Hole flywheel = Z number of teeths

1600 cc engine
8 Hole flywheel = X1 number of teeths
6 Hole flywheel = Z1 number of teeths

1750 cc engine
8 Hole flywheel = X2 number of teeths
6 Hole flywheel = Z2 number of teeths

2000 cc engine
6 Hole flywheel = Z3 number of teeths

I do hope that this is a straighforward exercise.... but as always with Alfa-Romeo we may face some surprises.

Thanks for your input anyway.

kind regards.... Thomas

Thomas Linser
(Jan 1967 1300 GT Junior, in bluette w/oxblood skai inetrior)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bump!!!

No one out there?

Ok lets ask the other way round.... What number of tooths is needed on the starter for what amount of theeth on the flywheel

and what kind of starters were used in combination with which flywheel?

I understand that there exists the 2 Bolt starter version and the 3 Bolt version, that some have 8 Teeths and some have 9.... that should match with a Flywheel with XY theeths..... its all a bit confusing and I do not really got a clear picture on this topic. I'm certain you know much more than I do, and that we have some very knowledgeable people on this board who can help.

Why do I ask? I have a mint crankshaft and a 8 hole flywheel... which i would like to have fine balanced, but prior to this I need to know if the 110 Theeths 8 hole flywheel i have laying under the workbench is suitable for my rebuild and what kind of starter I would need to find and buy for my 526A engine...

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Thomas Linser
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Flywheels and "teeths"

Forget the concept described below.

Only on early 1300/1600/1750 applications was any of that appropriate.

On 2 liter cars there were two ring gear sizes A 131 tooth and 130 tooth (these came in a small ID version (early) and larger ID (91-94 in USA and later in ROW cars not sold here)

The Starter`s tooth count was the same, but the mount drilling on the starters were drilled to position the starter gear to match the OD of the ring gear.

Do a search of the BB and you will find your answers!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:53 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
a simple and understandable overview of the different flywheels and their number of teeths per engine
See post #3 in the thread at: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...ing-gears.html

Quote:
I have a mint crankshaft and a 8 hole flywheel... which i would like to have fine balanced, but prior to this I need to know if the 110 Theeths 8 hole flywheel i have laying under the workbench is suitable for my rebuild and what kind of starter I would need to find and buy for my 526A engine
As the post referenced above shows, a 110 tooth ring gear fits a 1779 cc (AKA "1750") engine. I'm not sure what a "526A engine" is, but if it's a 1750, that flywheel under your workbench would be suitable.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 05-30-2018 at 06:59 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi there,

Thanks for the input and direction pointing to the 2007 BB post.

So in short and as to quote Alfabender:

stepnose --> 1600 engine --> floor mount pedals --> 105 tooth ring gear --> 2 bolt starter --> 8 tooth Bendix

smoothnose 1750 engine --> hanging pedals, hydraulic clutch --> 130 tooth ring gear --> 3 bolt starter 0.9 hp --> 9 tooth Bendix

smoothnose 2000 engine --> hanging pedals, hydraulic clutch --> 130 tooth ring gear --> 3 bolt starter 0.9 hp --> 9 tooth Bendix

Later than 1974 --> hanging pedals, hydraulic clutch --> 131 tooth ring gear --> 3 bolt lightweight 1.25 hp starter --> 9 tooth Bendix, works with 130 tooth ring gear but not the other way around

his first sentence will fit for my purpose... (AR 00526A engine = 1600ccm from a Berlina) which means that the Flywheel under my workbench will have to go and be replaced by a proper 105 tooth ring gear and that I will also have to find a 3 Bolt 8 tooth Bendix starter.

Kind regards

Thomas

Thomas Linser
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli0815 View Post
stepnose --> 1600 engine --> floor mount pedals --> 105 tooth ring gear --> 2 bolt starter --> 8 tooth Bendix

I will also have to find a 3 Bolt 8 tooth Bendix starter.
I think you meant "I will also have to find a 2 Bolt 8 tooth Bendix starter". How many starter mounting holes does your bellhousing have?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Starters / ringears

Quote:

smoothnose 1750 engine --> hanging pedals, hydraulic clutch --> 130 tooth ring gear --> 3 bolt starter 0.9 hp --> 9 tooth Bendix
No such animal!
smoothnose 2000 engine --> hanging pedals, hydraulic clutch --> 130 tooth ring gear --> 3 bolt starter 0.9 hp --> 9 tooth Bendix
(this from `72-`74 this starter and the 1991-`94 lighweight starter are interchangeable)
Later than 1974 --> hanging pedals, hydraulic clutch --> 131 tooth ring gear --> 3 bolt lightweight 1.25 hp starter --> 9 tooth Bendix, works with 130 tooth ring gear but not the other way around
Incorrect as this starter only fits `75 through 1990 as the mounting nose is machined differently to fit the slightly larger RG. Starting about `85 there is a lightweight starter that fits these ringears

his first sentence will fit for my purpose... (AR 00526A engine = 1600ccm from a Berlina) which means that the Flywheel under my workbench will have to go and be replaced by a proper 105 tooth ring gear and that I will also have to find a 3 Bolt 8 tooth Bendix starter.
All 3 bolt/9 starter drives are NOT THE SAME! You have to go by the Bosch part # on the starters They have been published on the BB. Do a search!This added for other BB members as this doesn`t apply to your application

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 06-07-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:57 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Starters / ringears

Quote:

No such animal!
(this from `72-`74 this starter and the 1991-`94 lighweight starter are interchangeable)
Incorrect as this starter only fits `75 through 1990 as the mounting nose is machined differently to fit the slightly larger RG. Starting about `85 there is a lightweight starter that fits these ringears

All 3 bolt/9 tooth ring gears are NOT THE SAME! You have to go by the Bosch part # on the starters They have been published on the BB. Do a search!
This doesn`t have anything to do with your application, just to clairfy for other BB readers

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
All 3 bolt/9 tooth ring gears are NOT THE SAME! You have to go by the Bosch part # on the starters
Agreed. I pointed Toli0815 to post #3 in that thread (which was written by George Willet) but he seems to have read post #1 instead.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 06:58 AM

pinion gear pitch (and hence flywheel pitches) all same - industry standard. the 9 tooth pinions are all same gear. they are not on the same starters. as Alfar7 stated - the starter for 131 tooth ring gear has the pinion mounted 1 mm further outboard - which necessitated the bigger OD (and since pitch needs to be same, extra flywheel tooth) for happy meshing.
fwiw, the 2 outboard mount flange bolt holes are all same spacing across all the starter flanges... as an exercise, a 3 bolt will bolt up into a 2 bolt mount - but leave the M9 center locating shoulder bolt waving in the breeze... and vice voisah a 2 bolt will mount to a 3 bolt bell housing. not a good way to tell starters apart.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I think you meant "I will also have to find a 2 Bolt 8 tooth Bendix starter". How many starter mounting holes does your bellhousing have?
Er... yes sorry.. I meant "2 Bolt Bendix Starter with 8 tooths" apologize

KR

Thomas Linser
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barboncino105 View Post
pinion gear pitch (and hence flywheel pitches) all same - industry standard. the 9 tooth pinions are all same gear. they are not on the same starters. as Alfar7 stated - the starter for 131 tooth ring gear has the pinion mounted 1 mm further outboard - which necessitated the bigger OD (and since pitch needs to be same, extra flywheel tooth) for happy meshing.
fwiw, the 2 outboard mount flange bolt holes are all same spacing across all the starter flanges... as an exercise, a 3 bolt will bolt up into a 2 bolt mount - but leave the M9 center locating shoulder bolt waving in the breeze... and vice voisah a 2 bolt will mount to a 3 bolt bell housing. not a good way to tell starters apart.
Hi Barboncino,

Interesting. I dido not knew that the "old" vs "new" starter versions were "interchangeable" or as you said could be mounted "vice-versa", thanks for the info.

KR

Thomas Linser
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:30 AM

they are not interchangeable - i only meant to say that the bolt holes line up.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Folks,

So I crosschecked my under bench Flywheel and it has 130 teeths and is to be married for an 8 Bolt Crankshaft.... this defines it to be for an eraly 1750 engine....and is therefore not what I need or am in search for

As far as I understand it.... I need a 105 teeth 8 Bolt flywheel for a mechanical clutch (parts # 105 000 20 4001), is someone interested in a swap... my 1750 eight Bolt flywheel for a 1600 Eight bolt mechanical clutch flywheel?

KR

Thomas

Thomas Linser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode