Hubcap refurb. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Hubcap refurb.

Anybody attempted to refurbish hubcaps like this? The lettering under the clear plastic-which has yellowed and not completely clear- is faded and could do with a touch up. I see the plastic rings come off, but wondering about paint etc. to do the lettering.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 AM

I think there is a thread that tells you how to get the yellowing , clear. As I recall sunlight, baking soda and vinegar...not sure though. The actual hub cap will shine up with Mothers polish and others. Be careful when pulling off the timmermans so as not to snap off the NIBS. If you break one of those you cant repair them. I used CLR and wd40 to loosen up the timmermans re rust. Once you clean them up spray them with black primer. re ring refurb, I used gloss black spray paint. The silver platninum lettering could not be matched up. I used the inside of a candy wrapper which is really close to exact. Its a tedious process of a fine cut and a pin ***** of glue to hold it in place. I did this in just a few spots. Results were good.I used a dab of silicone on each timmerman once they were inserted back on the nib to be sure the never come off. I didn't have yellowing on the ring so I never attempted getting them clear. Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:48 AM

One more point , I did call around to see if anyone sold the rings separately, no go. That would be the ideal resolve as getting these rings back in order is a major pain. Has anyone run across a supplier re rings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Kempton, very helpful. I'll see if I can find the thread about de-yellowing.
Must be worth trying them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The graphics on these are in some sort of chrome plating. I don't think they can be refurnished, but I could be wrong.
@franjo mokina is a very skilled and gifted craftsman, out of Slovenia is in the process of fabricating the smaller rings. You might want to reach out to him and see if he would be willing to make these as well.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:40 AM

Brian , I think your correct on not being able to do chrome plating on the lettering unless Franjo is doing them.. Too bad there isn't a supplier for these rings as the chrome plating issue , yellowing etc. seem to be common. Its odd how almost every repro Alfa part is out there except the rings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode