Trouble adjusting Koni red shocks (it's me, for sure) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Deschodt
  • 1 Post By Ranz
  • 1 Post By Deschodt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Trouble adjusting Koni red shocks (it's me, for sure)

Posting in a new thread for visibility, I'll update the original when successful...

I'm having trouble adjusting the rear shocks to "softer"...

Here's pictures of what I have - Front are threaded on top only, rear threaded on both sides..

I watched the koni videos, none of which matches my shocks exactly but I get the gist of it... Disconnect shock, compress, push down and twist till you feel the adjuster fall in a slot, then turn counterclockwise to soften, right to harden...

Fronts were disconnected at the top only, I did not see the need to disconnect the bottom to achieve my goal. I pushed down and near the end of travel rotated the shock and distinctly felt the adjuster fall in a slot... rotated counterclockwise, full soft. Yipee... I know some said 50% F 0% rear but others said soft all around and I wanted to try that first... Front done...

Rear, on the other hand, not as fun with the access panel behind the seat and the spring around the shock... I disconnected the top and pushed/pulled down on the shock threading my hand within the spring coils to get at it. Sounds risky but the car is on scissor lift and I put tires under, etc... I could compress the shock all the way down, and rotated it hoping to feel the adjuster fall in the slot like the fronts. Nope... I pushed and turned, and whistled dixie till the cows came home, no click, no slot, nothing... Both sides. I disconnected the bottom of the shock too and completely let it loose inside the spring too, compressed it again threading my hands inside the coils, rotated from the top, from the bottom, nothign doing, no click, no slot.. WTH ???

People say "take out the rubber stop, compress..." I kinda want to ask what rubber stop ? The rubber donuts things visible on the pictures below ? those are obviously off since the shock is off... Is there another rubber stop I cannot see preventing adjstment (only to the rears ?) Why would the rears not adjust ? If I need to take out the spring I feel the job will get beyond my comfort level unless someone's got a fantastic tutorial.. So right now I'm probably full soft front, 50% rear, the opposite of desired, but hey, I'll test drive it later (can't move it right now, other cars blocking me)...

I also lowered tire pressures from 31 all around to 23F/26R as a test... Still I'm annoyed at the rears, opinions, mockery (with explanations) welcome ;-)
Attached Images

------------------------------------------
74 GTV 2000, 73 BMW 2002, 72 911T

Last edited by Deschodt; 05-16-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Holy crap, I figured it out !!

The shock towers are removable !!!!! You can take it out from the top, easy peasy in 2 minutes...
Then there IS a rubber stop inside the shock ($%#$%$%$) and you can push it down via the holes at the top of the shock with a metal rod and it eventually falls out and you pull it out because it's cut and snaps around the shaft... Then it adjusts !!! Victory !!! I may take a second look at the front one now that I know that stop can be in there but I felt the slot thing, so I guess they are out in front ? Still will recheck though !

I like it when it works out in the end !
jthames likes this.

Last edited by Deschodt; 05-16-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Cool.
Anything else we can help you with, just holler. :-/
(Nice work!)
jthames likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quick pictorial - can;t figure out how to sequence pics in the text with this upload...

undo Bottom nuts...
Push shock up (or not)
open that hatch behind the rear seat back
that shock tower is removable: not sure if that's stupid or brilliant. (2 bolts hold my entire shock to the body??)
pull up all attached..
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

extend shock...
push down via both holes
here is the offender ! Remove it, adjust bu compressing/rotating as on the Koni video

My front shocks had no such rubber donut, only rears...
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 PM

I remember trying to figure this out the first time too. Feels good when you solve it yourself though!

Gene
'71 GTV 1750 USA SPICA
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 AM

For next time. ( Who ever reads the the instructions before starting )
Name:  Scan.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  143.5 KB

Gone: 1970 GTV 1750 S2, 1990 164, 1991 75TS, 2000 2.0 GTV 1x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT
Current: 2006 166 V6, 1 x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT

Last edited by shane1750; 05-17-2018 at 01:51 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane1750 View Post
For next time. ( Who ever reads the the instructions before starting )
Attachment 1488745
I might have but never saw those anywhere... That's way more complete ! Oh well, figured it out - and I betcha when I take the car out tonight it'll still drive like crap... It'll probably be bushings ;-)
jthames likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschodt View Post
I might have but never saw those anywhere... That's way more complete ! Oh well, figured it out - and I betcha when I take the car out tonight it'll still drive like crap... It'll probably be bushings ;-)
Yeah, but at least you’ll KNOW it’s not shocks!

Jonathan
1974 GTV 2000 (ex-1992 Spider Veloce)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode