1971 GTV - keep original or resto rod? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

1971 GTV - keep original or resto rod?

Just picked up a 1971 GTV in Ochre over black. Original paint and interior. Paint is okay. One quarter size surface rust spot, a few dings - probably PDR and rub out quite well. Interior is very good, but each seat has a minor flaw. Dash is perfect. Runs very well, not even the slightest notcheness in 2nd. Not my first Alfa. Have a 1965 GT Sprint, which is currently torn down for resto, and I also have a 79 Alfetta GT.

So, I'm inclined to resto-rod this GTV, because that's what I like, but I don't want to depreciate the value of this car. At a minimum, I'm thinking 15" wheels and Alfaholics "fast road" suspension. What does the forum think? Keep it original, or have some resto-rod fun with it. It seems like the cars bringing the highest value these days are resto rods (gauging from BAT).

Don
Dexter, Mchigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:40 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Its your car, do what you want.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:03 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
While the heck do you care what resale value it will achieve?

But IMO all "improvements" end up making the car more modern like to drive, and I cannot see the fun in that. Sure if you live where you can go fast to challenge the chassis it might make sense but most of us don't ... so I like the old car handling dynamics so even driving at moderate speeds requires more from me.

And in then end a car that requires more from the driver IS more fun.

Case in point the love affair most have with the F40 Ferrari when we all know the latest "Dino" model is faster in every way ... and grandma can drive it too.

There is a limit, which is why we all don't want to own 1920's cars that require hand cranking and servicing when you reach the end of the driveway ... hence the 60's and 70's cars are popular.
Pete
f4driver likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 05-11-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Garage
One vote for not messing with it. I'd clean her up and enjoy her as is. These cars are so fantastic already in their original state. Sounds like you've found a gem of a car you don't actually HAVE to tear down.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:40 PM

"So, I'm inclined to resto-rod this GTV, because that's what I like,"

Go for it ! Its your car. If you are worried about resale keep the parts you swap over so it can be returned to original if need be.

Gone: 1970 GTV 1750 S2, 1990 164, 1991 75TS, 2000 2.0 GTV 1x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT
Current: 2006 166 V6, 1 x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input fellas. Sorry about the avatar, but the Alfa’s share space with Porsche’s (and Chevy’s), etc.

Don
Dexter, Mchigan
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 PM

I’m with you. Install the suspension and enjoy it!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 PM

Lets see...'71 was a desirable year for some good reasons, you have a rare color, and perfect dashes are unobtanium. Please think hard about doing anything which is hard to reverse!

Gene
'71 GTV 1750 USA SPICA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Clearly we must see some photos in order to provide proper feedback!

This IS the shame of appreciating values. I just got the Alfa bug and part of why I am so infected is many of the models are still cheap and of not much $ value, so you can do what you want with them. Reminds me of the BMW scene when i was in college and rebuilding my 1970 round taillight 2002. There was no thought of value, just doing the car however you wanted it. Its why I ended up with an old, rescue alfetta sedan vs some more expensive models, but I might need another soon thereafter...

I say go for it! You clearly have a respectful approach, so I can't see you doing something so radical it will kill its value.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:24 PM

No brainer. Do some bolt on mods, keep the original bits. Put it back to original if/when you want.

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:09 PM

What you are describing is a very mild and entirely reversible approach I agree it is a no brainer if its what you like. I sold my 911 a few years back but still read the forums and it alarms me to find that the overwhelming majority of people are cutting their cars, adding racy plastic parts and generally making non reversible changes in the name of 'tributes'. Thankfully its a more tasteful bunch here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Gold Subscriber

All the "fun" things you can do to a GTV can't be readily noticed and are easily reversible.
horsewidower likes this.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:18 PM

I'm a firm believer in "period modifications", i.e. mods that might have been performed on the car when it was new but which still stay within the unique character of the GTV design. Operating within this paradigm (haven't used that world in awhile . . .) gives you a substantial inventory of hot-rod choices which are still "period" because the Alfa factory guys and back-in-the-day enthusiasts were inveterate tuners who loved tweaking Alfas (The TI Super and GTAs are good examples). There's a lot you can do that will still keep your Alfa an Alfa. If you haven't done so you might like to take a look at the "GTAr" resto-mods that Alfaholics builds as examples of what you can do with a little creativity and . . . enough money.

I presume you know about Jim Kartalamakis's book? If not I recommend it highly.

https://www.amazon.com/Romeo-Engine-.../dp/1845840194

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 PM

"And in then end a car that requires more from the driver IS more fun"

I think it was James Hunt who said he rather drive an Austin at 10/10 on the street then a Ferrari on the street..
PSk, cucinando and f4driver like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:19 PM

just got fresh paint on my stepnose and am really looking forward to reassembling an Alfa with No-Zero-Nada rust! Now on to the engine, suspension, and interior. ....
Attached Images

cucinando and JJr like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode