Whats involved- GTAM performance from standard 1750 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Whats involved- GTAM performance from standard 1750

Hello, I was looking at some alfa GTMA videos and was wondering whats involved and if its reasonably possible to get my 1969 1750GTV project to similar performance levels.

How much hP you figure the car below is putting out? Under 200HP?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm just starting to research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
In a book I have, and many members here likely have, an English racing driver driving his version of a 1750GTAm back in the day was passed like he was going backwards by the factory or works Alfa Romeo team cars, in some period race.

I suspect then that the factory GTAm's made seriously big hp and/or were a lot lighter than the competitors. Of course back in the early 70's 180hp was probably a good figure for a 1779cc race engine but the works would have been running 1985cc engines and around 240hp ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
In a book I have, and many members here likely have, an English racing driver driving his version of a 1750GTAm back in the day was passed like he was going backwards by the factory or works Alfa Romeo team cars, in some period race.

I suspect then that the factory GTAm's made seriously big hp and/or were a lot lighter than the competitors. Of course back in the early 70's 180hp was probably a good figure for a 1779cc race engine but the works would have been running 1985cc engines and around 240hp ...
Pete
I cannot see just from a video from outside which engine is in . Real GTAm had small angle valve head, mecanical fuel injection and around 240hp. Te build such an engine or even near (mecanical injection parts like fitted on the GTAm are hard to find an if very expensive) will go at high, no very high amount of $$$$

and there is much that can be done if you look around the 200hp , and that can be done for much less $$. but still for serious money.
besides beefing up the hp the suspension, steering and brakes will have to get attention (and again $$ ) too.

What i DO see in the video is that he has a different gearbox, probably ZF like Montreal (dog-leg first gear). There are more Italian hill climb cars with that set up. (and maybe some racers too?)

Last edited by Veep; 04-23-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 AM

I think a serious deciding factor concerns how much of the work on your car you can do yourself. If you can, then essentially you're just buying parts, paying for machine shop work and special fabrication but otherwise paying yourself to build your car. If you aren't capable or don't have the interest in doing all or most of this work yourself, then your cost factor expands exponentially. For reference on similarly genuinely fast Alfas, take a look at the GTAr specials being built by Alfaholics. The AH cars ain't cheap, but they're pretty much state-of-the-art as far as modified 105 Alfas go (220hp if you use a twin-spark) . Their retail prices are a good reference point what what it will cost you to buy such a car. Good luck.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 04-23-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

the relatively low budget approach is turbo or supercharging. There are threads about this. The cost of prep for a non-boosted 200 HP race motor is north of 10K and that is on top of hardware. The probability that you can prep your own head and pistons for this performance is very low.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by alfaparticle; 04-23-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode