Welding lower valance question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Welding lower valance question

I am about to reattach the nose to my 1968 smooth nose GTV. I am trying to figure out how/where the factory welded on the lower valance to the rad cross member.

thanks in advance,
-Jack
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 PM

Sorry I'm no help as I'm not familiar with the 105 yet, just wanted to say really nice work so much attention to detail.
Are you using a spot welder, if so what model .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Strippel View Post
I am about to reattach the nose to my 1968 smooth nose GTV. I am trying to figure out how/where the factory welded on the lower valance to the rad cross member.

thanks in advance,
-Jack
Jack, the lower nose was spot welded to the rad support with a series of welds where you have your clico clamps from one side to the other.

That space is a notorious dirt catcher which then holds moisture and leads to rust. The factory water channels, that can be seen in your picture, just do not do the job.

I have often wondered if it would be better to space the 2 panels apart with a non metallic spacer so that it can be hosed out periodically. Using a spacer also maintains the coating integrity where as a weld is sure to destroy it. I have also considered just pop riveting the 2 parts together, ala GTA, perhaps with glue; better for the panel coating.

Fwiw

Ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 PM

Garage
Good idea Ken, you could put some rivnuts into the radiator support and then use countersunk bolts with spacers to secure and separate the two panels.....Not sure what the aerodynamic implications would be?? Plus, with all these 105 builds I don't think they're going to be left outdoors to collect much rust creating gunk.......
I'd spot weld as Ken advised and just use an air gun to blow out that area after every wash.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:16 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
1750GT solved the issue you guys are discussing by making the drain indentations longer, therefore ensuring they actually do drain. From the factory the drain indentations are simply too short. Amusingly I suggested this to 1750GT, but never did this to my own car (yet) ... lol

And yes, just spot weld along the rear of the valence where you have your clicos, after closing your chassis rails and building the anti-roll bar mounting area.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 04-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maire View Post
Sorry I'm no help as I'm not familiar with the 105 yet, just wanted to say really nice work so much attention to detail.
Are you using a spot welder, if so what model .

Thank you,

Im using a miller LMSW-52T....not cheap as I just found out. Thankfully I have access to one for now.

If you want to check out the rest of the project it's here

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...v-project.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Those are all good ideas, It would be very cool to detach the bottom for cleaning.

I don't think I want the look of rivnuts or rivets on the valance.(I've already had to take too many off the old rust repairs)

I remember seeing 1750GT's modifications which were very nice but I think Ill try to keep it clean some how. I have everything epoxy painted... It will all burn off I'm sure but I have some Eastwood internal frame coating with a long nozzle. I think that might be the best I can do without some serious modification.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode