When do you get your car back? It is raining today. I guess it will be a good test for the tires, breaks and windshield wipers!
I was able to drive it home last night, beating the rain. It was a huge improvement from when I dropped it off. Rich and Sal did a lot of work. I'll give some of the highlights:
- Valve adjustment. They were tight and the engine sounds much improved
- compression was poor before (100,125,100,160) but the engine runs far better now with the valves adjusted and new fluids. While I'll check the compression again in a few weeks, for now, engine rebuild is not on the agenda.
- engine mounts: they were completely shot and not properly attached to the frame(a single bolt!). This was due to the frame being damaged on the driver side front. They had to had to drill new holes and in the end, were only able to get 1 bolt in on one side (3 total now) but it's again a huge improvement. As for the frame damage, I'll try to get some pictures to show it later. Now, this damage looks like it is decades old so ultimately I'm not that worried. The car was obviously driven for a long time with this so pretty much by definition it is driveable. Once I complete the suspension work, I'll bring it to an alignment shop and assess at that point.
- Fan shroud: it was missing, most likely removed as the problems with the engine mounts prevented it from working with fan. Cooling is definitely better now.
- leaking radiator hose: I had a constant leak of coolant, and while the hose looked in good shape, it has 2 tears in it. All good now. The difficulty here came from it being another part that made it look like engine was a 1600cc.
- Brake booster was shot and a new (used) one was installed. Again, before and after, it's night and day. I still need to replace the brake pads though.
The items not addressed:
- Transmission is leaking. I can live with this for now. 2nd gear is problematic so at some point, this has to be addressed.
- Front left wheel bearing. Very noisy. I'll fold that in with the work on the suspension that I have planned.
- Alignment and bent frame. I'll get it checked out after I complete the suspension work.
- Braking is great now, not an issue in traffic.
- The engine runs well, less noise, much lower temperatures than before. I cannot assess how far it is from expected performance.
- Shifting has one problem, 2nd gear. I need to develop the muscle memory for proper double clutching. Engaging all the other gears is completely drama free.
- The shot bearings are loud...