New owner 1974 GTV has no idea what he got himself into - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
Yep... absolutely agree with you. I think it is a 2000.

I was replying to Alfajay to clarify that the 1600 was available way after the Giulia Sprint so the placement of the oil filter is not an indication- especially on a Euro car. In fact, in 1975 you could get a 1300, 1600 and 2000 version.

The 1300 and 1600 were the "poverty packs". Notice in the photos- no bumper over-riders. Lots of other small details that distinguish it from the 2000. But the engines all look the same, hence the markings on the head.
evermore likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

I think it's safe to say you are now the resident expert on the displacement variants of 105 series Alfa Romeos!
evermore likes this.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
another 74 GTV restored driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #93 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backto105 View Post
I was replying to Alfajay to clarify that the 1600 was available way after the Giulia Sprint so the placement of the oil filter is not an indication- especially on a Euro car. In fact, in 1975 you could get a 1300, 1600 and 2000 version.
I do have that information filed in the back of my brain. But since cars sold here in the US were all equipped with canister filters for 1300, 1600, 1750 and spin-on's for the 2000, I tend to forget it.

But of course, evermore has a non US-delivery car, so my simplistic system doesn't apply. Yea, it could have been delivered in 1974 with a 1300 or 1600 cc engine equipped with a spin-on filter. Thanks for clarifying.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-19-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
I think it's safe to say you are now the resident expert on the displacement variants of 105 series Alfa Romeos!
Hah! Yeah I think most people become experts in subjects they never aspired to out of accident and necessity. I should get the car back this evening so can't wait what to get an idea what a GTV actually drives like (limping to the mechanic doesn't count)
post #95 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I do have that information filed in the back of my brain. But since cars sold here in the US were all equipped with canister filters for 1300, 1600, 1750 and spin-on's for the 2000, I tend to forget it.

But of course, evermore has a non US-delivery car, so my simplistic system doesn't apply. Yea, it could have been delivered in 1974 with a 1300 or 1600 cc engine equipped with a spin-on filter. Thanks for clarifying.
It's the edge cases that really screw you, said the engineer

Thanks for the all the insights. As I said mentioned in the previous reply, I will be getting the car back later today. A new (used) brake booster is being installed right now as mine was shot (lovely change in engine idle when pressing the brake pedal).
post #96 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Garage
Possibly a Houston or New Orleans flood car?

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #97 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
Possibly a Houston or New Orleans flood car?
Based on what I am seeing so far, that seems unlikely. Given the number of hours the mechanic has been in it, I think he would have noticed too. I think it's just a GTV with lots of history.. I am just hoping to keep it roadworthy so that it will be around for decades to come.

Last edited by evermore; 03-19-2018 at 10:29 PM.
post #98 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 PM

Garage
Now that didn’t come to my mind. Probably flood damage to my brain.
It sounds like your Alfa guy is being thorough.
Great luck, and welcome to the club!! It’s a wonderful club to be in!!

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #99 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
Now that didn’t come to my mind. Probably flood damage to my brain.
It sounds like your Alfa guy is being thorough.
Great luck, and welcome to the club!! It’s a wonderful club to be in!!

When do you get your car back? It is raining today. I guess it will be a good test for the tires, breaks and windshield wipers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #100 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
When do you get your car back? It is raining today. I guess it will be a good test for the tires, breaks and windshield wipers!
I was able to drive it home last night, beating the rain. It was a huge improvement from when I dropped it off. Rich and Sal did a lot of work. I'll give some of the highlights:

- Valve adjustment. They were tight and the engine sounds much improved
- compression was poor before (100,125,100,160) but the engine runs far better now with the valves adjusted and new fluids. While I'll check the compression again in a few weeks, for now, engine rebuild is not on the agenda.
- engine mounts: they were completely shot and not properly attached to the frame(a single bolt!). This was due to the frame being damaged on the driver side front. They had to had to drill new holes and in the end, were only able to get 1 bolt in on one side (3 total now) but it's again a huge improvement. As for the frame damage, I'll try to get some pictures to show it later. Now, this damage looks like it is decades old so ultimately I'm not that worried. The car was obviously driven for a long time with this so pretty much by definition it is driveable. Once I complete the suspension work, I'll bring it to an alignment shop and assess at that point.
- Fan shroud: it was missing, most likely removed as the problems with the engine mounts prevented it from working with fan. Cooling is definitely better now.
- leaking radiator hose: I had a constant leak of coolant, and while the hose looked in good shape, it has 2 tears in it. All good now. The difficulty here came from it being another part that made it look like engine was a 1600cc.
- Brake booster was shot and a new (used) one was installed. Again, before and after, it's night and day. I still need to replace the brake pads though.

The items not addressed:
- Transmission is leaking. I can live with this for now. 2nd gear is problematic so at some point, this has to be addressed.
- Front left wheel bearing. Very noisy. I'll fold that in with the work on the suspension that I have planned.
- Alignment and bent frame. I'll get it checked out after I complete the suspension work.

Driving impressions:
- Braking is great now, not an issue in traffic.
- The engine runs well, less noise, much lower temperatures than before. I cannot assess how far it is from expected performance.
- Shifting has one problem, 2nd gear. I need to develop the muscle memory for proper double clutching. Engaging all the other gears is completely drama free.
- The shot bearings are loud...
post #101 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
- Front left wheel bearing. Very noisy. I'll fold that in with the work on the suspension that I have planned.
- The shot bearings are loud...
I wouldn't drive too far with bad wheel bearings. They are simple to replace relative to the amount of damage a failed bearing can cause.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #102 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

next steps

So, next steps:
- Order the fast road suspension package stage 1 from alfaholics (without the Konis which I'll order from tirerack).
- As a personal indulgence, the 7x15 GTA Superleggera wheels. (probably mount Yokohama S.Drive 205/55R15 tires, open to suggestions though!)
- Brake pads: Stoptech Street Pads from tirerack. I'm a bit confused as brake pads I see in other places for the GTV have a square shape while these look trapezoidal..
- Steering: the drag link and the outer track rods are bent and need to be replaced. What is a good place to order such stock parts from?
post #103 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The best place for used parts is Alfa Parts Exchange near Tracy, CA. If Jon Norman at Alfa Parts in Berkeley can't get an OEM part it likely doesn't exist.

Centerline in Colorado is my default for most parts, or Vicks in Texas.

I like those Stoptech pads. I just put a set on a 2004 Mustang GT with mushy brakes and they did wonders. I have a set for my Berlina waiting to go on.

7x15 wheels will look great, but get the suspension done first or they will magnify every issues. I had 7x15 wheels on my Berlina and went back to 5.5x14 because I liked the way they drove better. I will likely go up a notch to 6x14 as a compromise.

Enjoy!

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #104 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
So, next steps:
- Order the fast road suspension package stage 1 from alfaholics (without the Konis which I'll order from tirerack).
- As a personal indulgence, the 7x15 GTA Superleggera wheels. (probably mount Yokohama S.Drive 205/55R15 tires, open to suggestions though!)
- Brake pads: Stoptech Street Pads from tirerack. I'm a bit confused as brake pads I see in other places for the GTV have a square shape while these look trapezoidal..
- Steering: the drag link and the outer track rods are bent and need to be replaced. What is a good place to order such stock parts from?
My personal preference would be the Harvey Bailey handling kit from Classic Alfa. I've fitted three of these now on my current, and previous two 105's and prefer this kit to the Alfaholics one on a friends car. He actually prefers it too.
Again, my preference for authentic looks would be the 7 x 14" GTA replica wheels. With these you can fit a 185 x 70 x 14" tyre and have a more period look, whilst filling the wheelarches nicely. I don't know about the availability of good 14" tyres in the USA, but here in the UK we still have a huge choice of excellent road tyres in 14". eg. Avon, Continental, Vredestein etc. If you're not considering serious track time in the future, then these are more than good enough, and cheaper too. On my last two cars I've had a set of 14" Conti's fitted, and a set of 15" Avons on the TZ1 wheels on the Sedan, for £200 all in.
Also you'll get a better, more compliant ride with 70 series tyres rather than 55 series.
Never heard of the brake pads you mention, I fit either Ferodo or Mintex.
Show us a pic of your calipers so that we can assess what you need.
The steering bits you mention are all available from Classic Alfa or Alfaholics, EB Spares , Highwood etc, but I guess you'll have a source in the States too.
Of course, all of the above is my personal preference.
Steve

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
post #105 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I wouldn't drive too far with bad wheel bearings. They are simple to replace relative to the amount of damage a failed bearing can cause.
I wasn't planning on driving much. While the car runs, I can't say it's enjoyable knowing there is a broken spring and the noise from the wheel bearings

How hard a job is it to replace the bearings?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode