New owner 1974 GTV has no idea what he got himself into - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Pressure washing is a must. If it's going to come off it needs to come off ... plus you need to see what lies underneath.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 PM

I agree with Pete! The undercoating could be hiding rust and thin metal. You can always respray undercoating. Personal I donít like undercoating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #63 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Can't hurt. For the suspension about all you'll need is a decent press and some all thread to compress the springs. There are threads on all this here. I've found google is way better than the search function here. for instance search for "front suspension rebuild alfabb" and you'll get stuff like

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...rebuild-3.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...dummies-4.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...n-rebuild.html

hope that helps!!
evermore likes this.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
another 74 GTV restored driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I agree with Pete! The undercoating could be hiding rust and thin metal. You can always respray undercoating. Personal I donít like undercoating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update after seeing the car on the lift at the mechanic:

- There are a couple areas where the undercoating is peeling. it reveals clean metal underneath. Overall, Rich thought the underbody is sound. So I might do the pressure washing to make my life easier for replacing all the suspension parts but removing the undercoating wont actually do me much good.

- As everyone suspected, the front end is heavily bondoed (sp?). Given the amount of work to fix this I will leave this to the time the car gets stripped completely and resprayed. My plans is to make it a fast daily driver that is in sound condition to take to the track (though I doubt I ever will).

- Rich will do the following work: compression check, valve clearance check, replace all fluids, new engine mounts, replace shaft coupling, fix the dodgy mounts for the stainless steel exhaust, address the oil pressure and temp gauges and the speedometer. We will evaluate the brakes and steering after he has driven it.
post #65 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Garage
Regarding new springs, i have a set of Alfaholics fast road springs on my Super and they're pretty good, they've lowered the car to a nice degree and arent too stiff for road use. With stiffer springs you will need uprated dampers; Alfaholics recommend Koni yellows, despite many believing them to be too hard. Im fitting a set of yellows to my car this week and I'll let you know how i get on with them.

Also, if your steering box is leaking oil and you dont want to refurb it just yet many use grease instead of oil to prevent leakage.

72' Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
68' Lancia Fulvia Rallye
post #66 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

I really hope it's nothing however when looking at the rear of the car it almost looks like it's a little high on the left side which makes sense since the broken spring is on the right side. I would expect it to be really low on the right side with the broken spring though. I hope the spring isn't hiding some serious frame issues. Definitely worth checking into. It wouldn't be the first time someone cut a spring to level out a car.
You've got enough crud on the dif and trust me it's not all undercoating to make pressure washing a good idea. It's had a hard life for sure, it deserves someone to give it some love.

currently
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #67 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousuf22 View Post
Regarding new springs, i have a set of Alfaholics fast road springs on my Super and they're pretty good, they've lowered the car to a nice degree and arent too stiff for road use. With stiffer springs you will need uprated dampers; Alfaholics recommend Koni yellows, despite many believing them to be too hard. Im fitting a set of yellows to my car this week and I'll let you know how i get on with them.

Also, if your steering box is leaking oil and you dont want to refurb it just yet many use grease instead of oil to prevent leakage.
I am very interested in hearing your feedback. As you said, the general feeling seems to be the Koni reds are the best option for a GTV but I have to assume that Alfaholics has some idea of what they are doing with the fast street package.
post #68 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
I really hope it's nothing however when looking at the rear of the car it almost looks like it's a little high on the left side which makes sense since the broken spring is on the right side. I would expect it to be really low on the right side with the broken spring though. I hope the spring isn't hiding some serious frame issues. Definitely worth checking into. It wouldn't be the first time someone cut a spring to level out a car.
You've got enough crud on the dif and trust me it's not all undercoating to make pressure washing a good idea. It's had a hard life for sure, it deserves someone to give it some love.
Nothing untoward on the back end as far as the mechanic and I can tell. The broken spring in the back lowers that section by 1-2 cm so that is likely what you are seeing.

As for the front end.. I may just call it bondo heaven! Still, whoever did the job fixing the front end did a decent job, it's just that they got the crease line wrong. Given the size of that job and that it is not critical from a mechanical perspective, I will leave that to the time the car gets a full teardown and respray.
post #69 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

I used the Classic Alfa springs with their 29mm front sway bar and have had the IAP red springs on my other GTV for several years now. The heavier front sway bar really makes a difference although the rear ride height took some getting used to (pretty low) as the top of the tire is just barely below the wheel arch. I've had a bunch of Alfas and never seen a spring break but I'm sure it's possible, anythings possible. The fact the gap between the top of the tire and and the wheel arch looks close to normal is what worried me. You should be ok, I hope, I really do. A quick and unrelated check you can do is with the wheels straight ahead measure the distance between the centers of the wheel hubs, they should be about the same. That will be a good indication if the front end whack is just cosmetic.

currently
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #70 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

update from the mechanic

Just talked to Rich and there are some quirky things going on, and one that is going to be expensive..

- Compression is withing 100-125 for 3 of the cylinders, 160 for the fourth. The valves were adjusted plus the new fluids might help this a bit. I'll reassess after driving it for a while.
- Rich is confused about the engine: he thinks it might be an earlier engine as the radiator hose doesn't fit, and there is a mechanical fuel pump. From what I can tell, the engine does point to it being a '74 (1R00512*28920). Not sure what is going with the other parts not matching...
- Big item: the bolts for the motor mounts were actually cut off deliberately before so they have to be drilled out before the new ones can be installed properly. 3-6 hours of labor... crap.

On the less important side, I have a couple other questions:

- are there discount with Alfaholics?
- Do we have to pay duty for parts ordered from the UK (alfaholics and classicalfa?)
- My steering wheel is pretty shot. I'll get splinters handling it. I see a bunch of replacement ones, from Nardi and Momo as well as a GTA replica. Any thoughts on these options?
Picadine likes this.
post #71 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Call Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange APE he has a yard full of Alfas and is a good source for things like steering wheels and all sorts of parts, large and small.

No duty for orders under a grand. Over a grand DHL the shipper collects that and it's about 60 bucks on a 1500 dollar order, at least that's what I paid, somewhere around that. It's not much really.

I think you are ok on the motor. The Euro cars had mechanical fuel pumps but someone else should confirm that.

currently
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider

Last edited by gigem75; 03-14-2018 at 04:32 PM.
post #72 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:41 AM

WRT the steering wheel, you might consider refinishing.
Here is a thread discussing replacing vs. refinishing.
Here is a thread on refinishing.
Given your other priorities, maybe just throw a cover on it for now to save your hands.
evermore likes this.

'73 GTV - '78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - '88 Milano Verde
post #73 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
- Compression is withing 100-125 for 3 of the cylinders, 160 for the fourth. The valves were adjusted plus the new fluids might help this a bit. I'll reassess after driving it for a while.
It would be nice if the compression in those 3 cylinders comes up. I wouldn't be optimistic, however.

Quote:
- Rich is confused about the engine: he thinks it might be an earlier engine as the radiator hose doesn't fit, and there is a mechanical fuel pump. From what I can tell, the engine does point to it being a '74
You had mentioned that this is a European-delivery car, which might explain the mechanical fuel pump. If it has been in the US for awhile, someone may have replaced the water pump with one intended for a Spica engine, which would explain the radiator hose not fitting. Or used the right pump, but with a Spica hose. This pertains to the lower hose; is that the one that doesn't fit?

Quote:
- Big item: the bolts for the motor mounts were actually cut off deliberately before so they have to be drilled out before the new ones can be installed properly.
The bolts or the studs? Yes, that will be a big job to fix; I assume it will necessitate pulling the engine to gain the access needed to weld in new studs. While the engine is out you could address the low compression (and a hundred other things).
PSk likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-15-2018 at 10:20 AM.
post #74 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
Just talked to Rich and there are some quirky things going on, and one that is going to be expensive..

- Rich is confused about the engine: he thinks it might be an earlier engine as the radiator hose doesn't fit, and there is a mechanical fuel pump. From what I can tell, the engine does point to it being a '74 (1R00512*28920). Not sure what is going with the other parts not matching...
- Big item: the bolts for the motor mounts were actually cut off deliberately before so they have to be drilled out before the new ones can be installed properly. 3-6 hours of labor... crap.

On the less important side, I have a couple other questions:

- are there discount with Alfaholics?
- Do we have to pay duty for parts ordered from the UK (alfaholics and classicalfa?)
- My steering wheel is pretty shot. I'll get splinters handling it. I see a bunch of replacement ones, from Nardi and Momo as well as a GTA replica. Any thoughts on these options?
I restored a steering wheel once, the hardest part was getting the polyurethene finish off. I literally had to sand it off. After that it was just a couple of coats of stain, then new poly. It came out great and felt much better than the original wheel but did take a bit of time.

Getting the wheels off can be a bear. I actaully stripped out the holes on my Berlina wheel trying to get it off. I have a gorgeous Nardi I want to install if I can ever get it loose.

A good used wheel from APE would be a short term fix, the Nardi's are sweet but $ if you buy new. But if you're already ordering parts...

Bummer on the compression and the motor mount studs.

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #75 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Garage
Although the standard item is a lovely design, I'd personally love a smaller Nardi rim in my car. A smaller rim would make the car feel more agile and an allows for the use of a column extender - useful if you're tall and are forced to have your seat right back to accommodate your legs, leaving your arms stretched out. I really like a wheel close to my chest, but its down to personal preference and money in the end.

72' Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
68' Lancia Fulvia Rallye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode