New owner 1974 GTV has no idea what he got himself into - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
How did you notice the spring was broken? I took a casual video with my phone under the side of the car and noticed something looked wrong with the spring and only the follow up photos let me identify the problem. Even though the spring is broken, it still sort of works.

With a complete suspension rework in my future, seized bolts and nuts are going to be my biggest headache coming up...
It’s a long time ago now but my memory is it clunked as the spring loaded and unloaded. Like you say,it kind of worked but I do agree with Jay that the car shouldn’t be driven like that.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Gold Subscriber

Congats! drive it for awhile so when it's down for repairs you'll have something to shoot for. It may just be the camera angle or lens but the gas flap seems like its cockeyed. The very first things I would do is a thorough maintenance. engine oil, gearbox and rear end. For sure a compression check and valve clearance check/adjustment.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
another 74 GTV restored driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #48 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
I wonder if I can just drive it without the bumpers as a short/medium term solution? Would that be legal?
You can certainly drive a car in California without bumpers. If you ask a DMV employee or police officer, they'll say it isn't legal, but the cops have better things to do than stop cars without bumpers.

However, if you get into an accident, you may get some pushback from your insurer if the car lacks bumpers. And yes, I know, that 1970's era bumpers provide NO protection and are just another expensive bit of trim that will need fixing/replacing after an accident. Remember, insurers' purpose in life is to deny claims, not to be logical.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-10-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
Congats! drive it for awhile so when it's down for repairs you'll have something to shoot for. It may just be the camera angle or lens but the gas flap seems like its cockeyed. The very first things I would do is a thorough maintenance. engine oil, gearbox and rear end. For sure a compression check and valve clearance check/adjustment.
Ah, I wish I could drive it first before committing to lots of projects but with the broken spring in the back, I do not have much choice but to tackle the suspension. First though, I'll be taking it to the mechanic to have all fluids changed, compression check and an overall evaluation of the car.

As for the gas flap, it was simply that the nuts and bolts were extremely loose so after tightening, it no longer flaps open while driving =)

Speaking of fuel though, uhm, do I need any additives or just use regular 87 octane? I obviously have yet to fill it up and I don't have a manual and there is no sticker in the fuel door. This is for a '74 with weber carbs..
post #50 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeologist View Post
Alfas have good brakes stock. A proper fluid flush, new semi metallic pads and new hoses should do wonders. It won't feel like a modern car but you should be able to lock up the tires.

Every time I have been driving my Alfa and get into our modern Mercedes my first brake application nearly puts me into the dash. Modern brakes are much more sensitive.

Regarding the second gear crunch, they all do that. Redline synthetic fluid (I forgot which variety, search on here) helps. But it's a design flaw they all have. Just part of the charm. Just shift into second slowly, and double clutch when downshifting and they'll go for years like that.

On my 73 Berlina the previous owner hot rodded it for racing and fast street driving. It was lowered, poly bushings in the wrong places, stiff springs, too much cam timing, etc. The closer to stock I get it the more I enjoy it. I do like the street Koni shocks, red I think. Yellow are too stiff for my taste. And as others have mentioned if you lower an Alfa too much the handling gets squirrely. Lots of people rave about the Alfaholics fast street package. Centerline springs are pretty stiff.

Lastly you can certainly run without a bumper, I have never had bumpers on my Berlina but plan to put the chrome ones on someday.
The Alfaholics Fast Road Suspension Rebuild Package Stage 1 is not cheap at $1925 but while there are kits from Centerline and CA, none are this complete so this would be the easiest and complete solution. Couple with their Alfaholics GTA 7×15 Superleggera wheels and this could be a very tasty package

Ok, I think the bumpers will come off to be fixed at some future date. It'll instantly reduce the things that need fixing AND make the car look faster
post #51 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

link to walk through pictures

Ok, I took 200 picture yesterday of everything in and under the car. Camera phones make this so much easier...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/soEgY5NyTVjm7ij33

Some areas under the car look like they were pulled out of the ocean like some Greek amphora. Beyond the broken spring though, I have not identified anything catastrophic. One of the cooling system hoses is weeping coolant. I tightened the clamp and that has improved but not gone away. The area under the steering box is wet so refilling it and seeing how the steering behaves will also be straightforward.
post #52 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Gold Subscriber

Good on the GTA wheels.
When you do up the rad, you could consider a puller electric fan.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #53 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
The area under the steering box is wet so refilling it and seeing how the steering behaves
If your steering box is low on oil then you definitely should top it up. There is no easy way to check the level - just start pouring 90 weight gear oil into the little hole on the top (you'll need a funnel) and see how much goes in before it starts overflowing.

You should add oil because your steering box could fail if it runs dry, but adding oil won't change how your steering feels. If the box is leaking, it could simply be a worn seal where the sector shaft comes out at the bottom, or it could be a cracked case. If the case is cracked, that could add play to the steering system but the bigger issue is that a cracked box could fail catastrophically.

The most likely cause for your loose steering is worn ball joints in the steering linkage and/or front suspension.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-12-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #54 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Hi you are probably a little disappointed with so many little things. If this is truly your dream Alfa then no worries. You have a great car and you will be putting another classic on the road. If this is not your dream car flip it fast. My gut feeling is this is a car you really want. Get the system all working so you do not get stuck on the side of the road and it is safe to drive. Drive it for a while and with the help with Rich from Continental Motors fix and repairs what is important to you. Remember when you drive your Alfa —— DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
autobroker likes this.
post #55 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Oh yea remember what I said earlier this is going to be your favorite money pit so wants you get pass that thought you will have a ton of fun

My car is the black spider.

post #56 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 01:47 PM

My is simply an everyday, fair weather driver.
I've been an Alfa owner since 1985 and this is my seventh or eighth one along with a few parts cars.
This GTV that I bought recently already had red Konis on it, as does my duetto.
I had the same front end work done on the duetto and added the sport coils and I enjoyed the improved look and handling.
That is all the research I did on it.
Alfaholics kits is a complete kit and will probably have better results if you plan to race or participate in club or track events.
evermore likes this.
post #57 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

The first thing I would do is if you don't have any go to HF and buy 4 jack stands and get it as high up as you can (unless you have a lift of course) get some old coveralls and pressure wash the heck out of the underside. Have your better half take a photo of you when you are done
Unless you are wealthy and money doesn't matter I would suggest you learn how to do a lot of what's been suggested here yourself. Anything you can do yourself will make it easier to pay for the hard stuff. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, it's part of the process everyone here has gone through to some degree or another.
autobroker likes this.

currently
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #58 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Hi you are probably a little disappointed with so many little things. If this is truly your dream Alfa then no worries. You have a great car and you will be putting another classic on the road. If this is not your dream car flip it fast. My gut feeling is this is a car you really want. Get the system all working so you do not get stuck on the side of the road and it is safe to drive. Drive it for a while and with the help with Rich from Continental Motors fix and repairs what is important to you. Remember when you drive your Alfa —— DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Hi Ken,

I was actually expecting a lot of small issues given that I paid $22k for it and as long as it doesn't require extensive metal work, I'll be ok. I briefly owned a 1972 Mercedes 280C and it was in worse shape. I decided against restoring that car as the 3 speed automatic was fun at no speeds. Sold it for a small profit even

I actually dropped the GTV off at Rich's garage last night. Driving for 15 miles without a working oil pressure gauge and temp gauge is a bit nerve wracking. We did make it to the garage though and I'll swing by over lunch to get his initial assessment.

I wish I could take your advice of just driving it first (which was my plan too) but the broken rear spring requires replacing so I might as well do a full suspension update (thinking of the Alfaholics stage 1 package). With the updated/upgraded suspension, the engine serviced and all fluids changed, I should have a fun package!
post #59 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

Rich will be your friend if you pressure wash the undercarriage before he does the suspension work. Mechanics appreciate that kind of stuff and it tells him a lot about your commitment to the car.

currently
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #60 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
Rich will be your friend if you pressure wash the undercarriage before he does the suspension work. Mechanics appreciate that kind of stuff and it tells him a lot about your commitment to the car.
My plan is to do the suspension work myself unless there is something there that requires specialized equipment?

the underside looks like it was coated with something (see the photo of it delaminating) so not sure if pressure washing helps or hurt by removing the coating?
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode