New owner 1974 GTV has no idea what he got himself into - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:50 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Evermore,

You have the right attitude .

Enjoy fiddling with your new car.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Good luck with your car.... stick to it and it will reward you with a huge grin every time you drive it!

Yeah that front panel/bumper etc. is all wrong as mentioned. If you look at the pic of it below the blue one,
you will see your car has lost the shape of the lower edge of the grille opening. The larger headlights
should be sitting in a 'cut out' so to speak, your line is a straight edge from one headlight to the other.

Cheers.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
post #18 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:55 PM

The front end does look very odd, some strange things going on there. The indicators also look incorrect, neither Euro or US. It should look like this if it’s a non-US model.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W9T-jUZsXsk/maxresdefault.jpg

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Congratulations! And welcome.

Regarding the brakes pulling you might start with new rubber lines before rebuild the calipers. I was getting a pull when I braked in my Berlina and when I pulled off one hose it was so swelled that no fluid dripped out. A new set of hoses and it brakes nice and straight again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #20 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndecidedRacer View Post
Hi Michael - congrats and welcome to the family. I joined in May of last year with a BAT auction win. I am working on taking it from stock to more of a canyon carver. As i am in your area (Menlo Park), happy to talk further about what i have learned in terms of refinishing things myself vs having to go outside to a shop for support. I am nearing the end of this go-fast upgrade which has included everything from a motor rebuild/upgrade, gearbox rebuild with alcoholics racing parts, and even some interior work including sparco seats and harness bar and because i am tall i have also done a lot of work with the steering column/removing the center console, and having some custom fab work done.

Reach out anytime.

Cheers,
Phil
Thanks Phil! Actually tried to send a message but I have not reached the 10 message threshold. *facepalm*. I will probably get in touch with you in the next couple of weeks once I have a reasonable ideas of the full catalogues of issues I am facing.
post #21 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousuf22 View Post
Nice GTV! Im sure you'll really enjoy it when its sorted.

Regarding the gearbox, i had the typical 2nd gear crunch, and rev matching aside i found using an additive called 'Slick 50' helped a fair bit. I took the car for a 20 mile run and the crunch became less and less prominent, especially when warmed up. It's not completely eradicated, but it is improved and when coupled with rev matching you can just forget about it. Of course, its not really recommended to use additives like this but since you'll probably need a rebuild sooner or later anyway you dont have much to lose.

Play in the steering is pretty common, the six tie rod ends can wear out and contribute. A worn out steering box can also be a culprit, a temporary solution is to experiment with removing shims on the Burman box or the adjustment screw on the ZF box, depending on which your car has installed. Low tyre pressures can also play a part, as well as alignment.

Hope you get on well with it!

Yousuf
Ah, so having common problems is a good thing, there tend to be solutions! It's the unique problems that are the real headache.. is this a sign of just age and wear or would changing fluids (even without additives) help?

From what little I have seen underneath, any rubber part I can see is very aged so that'll be the first thing to tackle before looking at the steering box I think
post #22 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978alfa View Post
Agree. They all have secrets at this age.
My '74, the steering was very worn and unstable when I hit the brakes at any speed over 50 MPH.
I had a local reputable tire center rebuild the front end.
I supplied them with Centerline's front end rebuild kit with the adjustable upper control arms.
Between parts and labor, I spent about $1500 but it was well worth it.
I also added Centerline's sport coils which lowered the car an inch and made it handle better.
Another secret I found was the previous owner had hung the
fuel pump right over the rear exhaust arch with a zip tie!
Anyway, keep us posted on your progress!

-Clark
Good morning Clark,

What was your decision process for the suspension work? For example, I see the Alfaholics Fast Road Suspension Rebuild Package Stage 1 set, how does that compared to centerline?
post #23 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Wow, I have to admit that the rear coil spring does look broken - never seen that before! My guess is that this car spent a lot of time in a damp environment - not in California - and that corrosion killed the spring. I wouldn't drive it that way.

Brakes pulling to one side suggests a stuck caliper (or calipers).

The vague steering could be a lot of things, including a cracked steering box case. Steering is sort of important - again, I wouldn't drive it until this has been diagnosed and fixed.
Maybe it was just near the ocean? I just have no history on it though BHCC claimed it lived in California its entire life. Anyhow, almost doesn't matter. The other springs are ok, I dont see other broken bits and pieces but doing a full suspension rework is clearly necessary. As for steering box.. my hope it's just the ancient bushings so ill take that first.
post #24 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Evermore,

You have the right attitude .

Enjoy fiddling with your new car.
Pete
post #25 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
Maybe it was just near the ocean? I just have no history on it though BHCC claimed it lived in California its entire life. Anyhow, almost doesn't matter. The other springs are ok, I dont see other broken bits and pieces but doing a full suspension rework is clearly necessary. As for steering box.. my hope it's just the ancient bushings so ill take that first.
FWIW I did have a rear spring break in my very first Alfa, a 1750 Berlina. That was in Auckland so near the sea but the car was otherwise in good shape body and suspension.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #26 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 AM

Garage
Did that car have Blue plates at some point? Or did those plates come with the car?
post #27 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Ah, so having common problems is a good thing, there tend to be solutions! It's the unique problems that are the real headache.. is this a sign of just age and wear or would changing fluids (even without additives) help?

From what little I have seen underneath, any rubber part I can see is very aged so that'll be the first thing to tackle before looking at the steering box I think
You're right - synchros are bound to start going weak with age, as well as after hundreds of 'Italian' gearchanges! Changing the fluid would definitely help, I've heard good things about Redline oils.

Its defintely a good idea to sort all the tie rods and ball joints before messing with your steering box, as it might indeed be okay after all.

Yousuf

72' Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
68' Lancia Fulvia Rallye
post #28 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
BHCC claimed it lived in California its entire life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore
It is not a US-spec car as it has the Weber carbs and the speedometer is in km/h.
To paraphrase Groucho Marx: "who are you going to believe? BHCC or your own eyes?".

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-09-2018 at 11:19 AM.
post #29 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Another thought on the steering box, the Burman boxes tend to leak and all the oil drains out. It's worth topping up and seeing if that helps. Alfas are pretty nice when newish, a new set of front suspension bushings will help a ton.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #30 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:26 PM

My decision.
My GTV handling was sloppy and the car sat too high, in my opinion. I prefer lower riding cars with stiffer suspension and responsive steering and predictable behavior when I step on the brakes.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
Past '78 Alfetta w/ TwinSpark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode