New owner 1974 GTV has no idea what he got himself into - Page 16 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobroker View Post
Sorry, but I'm really late to this thread. Today, I saw a nice looking Silver '72 GTV go for $31K on BAT. There was a link to this thread (buyer beware warning).....
I was led to this thread via the same link on that BaT auction. autobroker makes a lot of good points and probably gives better advice than most have given. Too bad it has been so long since the situation started and then developed to where the OP last commented on it. This thread started over a year ago and it has been over 3/4 of a year since the OP has made any new reports. It would be interesting to know the current status of his situation.

BTW, as far as that BaT auction, hopefully the buyer will get a car that is what he was expecting for his final bid. Full disclosure I was one of the "negative noise" commenters in that auction thread. The photo presentation, the seller's responses to questions and comments all gave me an impression of too much obfuscation. The car may have been fine for the price, but, I was, and still am, a bit skeptical.
autobroker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 AM

Garage
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-romeo-gtv-20/

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #228 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
Hi ar1950,

Thanks for the comments on the GTV on BAT. I did put in a bid, but I was outbid. I would've paid $16,500 for the car after fees, but $31K! The car looks nice, due to a good paint job and some nice wheels. I noticed some things I didn't like.

The floor pan work was so-so. Not good for a $31K car.
The bent rear bumper should've been fixed
The details like the gas door, lower front part of the right door, trunk, etc.
No console
Rusty suspension parts - should've been removed, powder coated and reinstalled.
The comments from the seller - sounded like a used car salesman
The big giveaway to me was the cheap tires. Tires are the contact to the road and cheap tires tells me that the person was cutting corners. Come on, an extra $200 would've got some good tires.

I bet the seller was very happy with the $31K. The good thing is that auctions like that push the price of these cars up. I don't own a GTV, but I have a few Spiders and the prices are going up.

Happy motoring!
horsewidower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #229 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:11 PM

Garage
Hi Del,

It is a shame. The OP's car could be saved, but it'll cost some money and time. I thought I gave him some good options and I wish him good luck.

He's in a tough spot. He made a mistake and he's trying to salvage what he can. I understand because I've been in that spot before. He's trying to justify that the car is okay, but if it were, he'd keep it. It's hard to face the honest truth, but as hard as it is, the sooner he does, the quicker he can start making good decisions. The sad thing is, if he succeeds in selling the car, someone will get stuck with the hot potato and that's not fair or right. This is how people get turned off to trying something new like buying a vintage Alfa.

If it were my car, I'd sell it on BAT, fully disclosed with a link to this thread. The purchaser will have full access to information and he can bid accordingly. Then I'd go after BHCC and try to recoup as much as I could. I'd be able to sleep at night, which is is very important to me.
sbadaro likes this.
post #230 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Having owned Alfas since 1966, I know that the body structural condition is the primary consideration when buying one of these cars, as they can be very difficult and/or expensive to bring back, if at all. Mechanical problems can usually be fixed with much less hassle/trauma, even if it takes some money, since it is parts replacements, not extensive body re-fabrications and finishing.

Trouble is, wanting/adoring such a desirable Alfa can put multitudes of stars in one's eyes (alas, it's being human), thus ending up blind to existing faults, even when they might be relatively obvious. I feel for the guy, hope it turns ok in the end, for both him and the car.
PSk, horsewidower and sbadaro like this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #231 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
@autobroker If you're truly in the market for a Coupe that ia a daily driver 30 K is a market price.

Tom
post #232 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Garage
Should have just listened to me a year ago. Bummer.

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #233 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
Here's a low mileage '74 with 74K mi for $21K. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...0/2241582.html

BAT is full retail - pretty high priced.
post #234 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
I can’t go back and reread the thread again. What ever happened to the cut up spring thingy/excuse?

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #235 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I like the description of "excellent" for that 74, when in fact it has a bashed side which may affect the B side post as well, funny looking front end with no grill, very tired interior, funny side exhaust, and who knows what else. Poorly taken care of in my book. Too much money for what you see, IMO.

Still, looks to be restoreable if not having been involved in an accident.
76Satisfaction likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #236 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 PM

Garage
I don't think he fixed it - at least he didn't post that he did. He did post that someone gave him the green light on the car - meaning the car was safe to sell, except he needed to fix the spring. I don't think the engine mount was every put back to normal, but the guy at the repair shop told him it would be okay.

I do know something about cars and steering geometry and the front left wheel was not in the correct place. The tie rods and center link were bent also, so add this to the incorrect wheel position, something is wrong with either the frame and suspension. Remember that a front end alignment is typically Toe In, Camber and Caster. It has nothing to do with moving the front wheel forward or backward. To me, this is not safe - it's not even close to how the engineers designed the suspension and I can only imagine how odd the car would feel on the road.

Years ago, someone hit our Odyssey Van smack dab on the front right wheel. It was at about 5 mph, so the insurance co thought it wouldn't be a problem to fix. I fought, but they said they couldn't call it a total loss, so they had the shop fix it. After all repairs were done, the van looked like new. When I drove it, I noticed a vibration in the front end. I brought it right back and left it there for them to check. Sure enough, the wheel was bent. They installed a new wheel and then did some work on the suspension - new parts to replace the bent ones. Mind you, this car had already had the alignment done and it was in spec. I took the car home and while on the side streets, I noticed that the car drifted to the right, it would take more effort to make a left turn vs right and the steering felt vague. The guy at the body shop went with me and told me he didn't feel that anything was wrong, but since he didn't drive the car before the accident, he couldn't be sure. He asked me to drive it for a few days and let me know about any problems and he'd contact the insurance company. In about 3 miles, I got on the freeway. I noticed that the van would drift left at high speeds. I took it home and drove it for a couple days. The steering felt vague and off center (the best I can describe it). If I pulled the wheel to turn right at 40 mph, it felt like the van wanted to move that way and continue - the steering return was definitely off. I brought it back to the shop and they had it for a few days and told me the alignment shop couldn't find anything wrong. I knew something wasn't the same as before and one day, I was talking to a friend (at his mechanics shop) and he grabbed a tape measure and measured the distance from the back of the tire to the wheel well. He did the same from the front of the tire to the wheel well. Both left and right side. The right wheel was further back than the front. He then measured the distance hub to hub on both sides. The right side was shorter than the left.

I recall how the van didn't feel right, even though the insurance company, body guy and the alignment guy all told me it was okay. If I hadn't owned the van prior to the accident, I would've chalked it up to a tire issue or maybe a worn suspension part. Since I knew what the van should feel like and how it felt unsafe, I was persistent and I eventually found out that the van had frame damage.

The OP's GTV can't drive like it's suppose to. The problem will be accentuated in an emergency maneuver, when driving the car hard or in bad weather.
post #237 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:32 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
I would've paid $16,500 for the car after fees, but $31K!
$16k won't get you much today. These 115 GTV 2000s are going for $50-$60k. So, $30k seems fair.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #238 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
The car has some problems, so I thought $16.5K would be a good price. There's the 1974 GTV in Glendale with 74K miles that's at $21K. I've been thinking about it too, but then I think about what I can do with $21K and I think my money can be spent better.

In a few years, I'll probably eat my words.
post #239 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Here's a low mileage '74 with 74K mi for $21K. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...0/2241582.html

BAT is full retail - pretty high priced.
I hope your joking the car is bastardized.

Tom
post #240 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Garage
@autobroker If you're truly in the market for a Coupe that ia a daily driver 30 K is a market price.

Tom,

The red '74 looks like a daily driver and $21K is less than $30K. The one that sold on BAT was questionable and I felt that $31K was excessive. Based on the photos and info I've found, I wouldn't purchase either the red one nor the Silver one, but if I had to choose, pick the red one and keep $10 for repairs. I could be completely wrong about this as I haven't seen either one in person + there are very few pictures of the red one. For all I know, it could have been in a bad accident, have frame damage, have bad rust, have a bad motor or tranny, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode