New owner 1974 GTV has no idea what he got himself into - Page 14 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
Curious did you ever reach out to those clowns and try and get some compensation, BTW..Good Luck!!!!
Thanks! I went directly with the lawyer. My estimation was given how the sales agreement was written, they would just tell me to pound sand anyhow so all I would be doing is waste time before getting a lawyer regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

So I guess they told you stick it when you mentioned the broken spring and their inspection?

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #198 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
Thanks! I went directly with the lawyer. My estimation was given how the sales agreement was written, they would just tell me to pound sand anyhow so all I would be doing is waste time before getting a lawyer regardless.
Well... if you're going in deep, make certain you sue them for actual, punitive, and importantly noneconomic damages (look it up it opens many remedies) kick *** and take names !!!
evermore likes this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #199 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

It would be sweet to see someone somewhere finally get what they deserve! Good luck!!!!!!
Tom Frasca likes this.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #200 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 PM

Garage
Did a picture of the egregious spring make it to the Internet yet? Or at least here on the BB??

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #201 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
Did a picture of the egregious spring make it to the Internet yet? Or at least here on the BB??
Here you go..... from a bunch of photos earlier in the thread.....
Attached Images

post #202 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Garage
Yup. Wont lie to anyone. I just plain forgot that I saw the pic. Ugh, aging sucks 😳😭😭
evermore likes this.

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #203 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

I'd like to know if it was broken because it failed or was it cut to make the car sit level.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
the ones that got away:
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #204 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
I'd like to know if it was broken because it failed or was it cut to make the car sit level.
looking at the interface of where the spring is broken, it is conical, not a shape I would expect if it was cut. My guess is that the rubber sleeve around the spring held moisture leading to the failure.
post #205 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
It would be sweet to see someone somewhere finally get what they deserve! Good luck!!!!!!
I dont know what to expect. I would be happy to get out of this quickly with all or most of money back. I am slightly optimistic as the lawyer did not hesitate to take the case even though he will only get paid in case of a settlement.
post #206 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
I dont know what to expect. I would be happy to get out of this quickly with all or most of money back. I am slightly optimistic as the lawyer did not hesitate to take the case even though he will only get paid in case of a settlement.
If you attorney took it on a contingency-only basis ..it is probably a slam dunk... remember what I mentioned in the thread above, non-economic opens a lot of possibilities ..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #207 of 264 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

The attorney sent a letter to BHCC early last week. After receipt, they have 30 days to reply and this is just the first step. This is going to be a slow process....
post #208 of 264 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

BHCC sells tired beaten up cars that are falling apart. And their asking prices are much higher than the car is worth. They provide extensive photos on all their cars and the photos are highly illustrative of all the warts on a car. They also provide very optimistic sales description. What Mr. Evermore bought was a highly overpriced piece of junk. Not even enough good parts to be a parts car. But I don't see that BHCC has done anything worse than take advantage of a buyer's ignorance about the product. They are not priests. They don't run a non-profit charity for orphaned cars. Reading this entire thread one can only remember the age old saying, "let the buyer beware"...a saying Mr. Evermore ignored to his displeasure. His only honorable way out of the mess is to learn auto mechanics and dedicate the next ten years to rebuilding the car using sweat and second hand parts. He will then have a $25,000 GTV. No more and no less. But to try and screw someone the way he screwed himself is not honorable. Of course he can also sell the car for the $5000 it is actually worth and buy a tired Spider and get on with his life.
autobroker likes this.

Last edited by John Ireland; 05-12-2018 at 04:44 PM.
post #209 of 264 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

update: this takes a long time...

If you are ever in a position where you have to pursue the legal path, it's important to understand that this likely a very lengthy process. Here is what has happened so far and likely timeline:

1. BHCC was served papers in early May
2. After the date of receipt, they have 30 days to respond (they briefly contacted the lawyer to tell him to piss up a pole)
3. This period is up now and they failed to properly respond so the next step is to file a suit.
4. Filing the suit usually takes a few weeks, say another 30 days.
5. Once filed, they have another 30 days to respond. So we do not expect an answer or any solution for another 2 months at the earliest.
6. Going to trial would rather suck: In LA county, the backlog is huge and a likely trial date right now would not be until November 2019!
7. Given the likely outcome and faced with a large retainer for a lawyer, they hopefully settle much earlier.

Anyhow, expect at least 4 months for something like this but can be 2 years!

In the meantime, according to the lawyer, it is reasonable to make repairs to the vehicle to make it driveable and those can be charged as part of the settlement. Not routine maintenance (oil changes, brake pads) or upgrades (new shocks!) but definitely replace the broken spring or anything else to make the car safe to drive. So since it will take up space in my garage for quite a while longer, I'll replace the spring in the next few weeks.
post #210 of 264 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

I'm sure your lawyer is the salt of the earth, but I would hate to see his bill after four months, let alone two years. And when you get your case before a judge, he can look at it and decide it has no merit and throw it out. At which point you will be back to ground zero...but now with two strikes against you. The money you are spending going to court would be better spent being put into the car. In the end you will be able to drive it and enjoy it...just not at the cost you originally imagined.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode