New owner 1974 GTV has no idea what he got himself into - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

update: pulling the frame

This week has been a bit hectic work wise but I had dropped the car off at Freeman Frame on Monday. We were consulting with Tom Sahines and after checking the existing condition, they will be pulling it today or tomorrow. The existing geometry was out of range to adjust for during alignment. I hope this works and I should know the results in the next couple days before taking the next steps.
horsewidower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

I'm glad you have the right people on this. You are to be congratulated for that. The guy that did mine never heard of the 3rd law of motion. Sure he got the front pulled out but not before he ripped the rear jack point ka ka along with the rear trailing arm mount. It all got fixed but I had to really stay on top of that guy. Thanks for the update!

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
another 74 GTV restored driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #138 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 AM

That's what I feared given the source (BHCC), they have that reputation for buying cars that wrapped around trees that no-one else would buy... It all can be fixed, it's just a matter of calculations now... Best of luck on the frame pull !!!!

If it helps I once bought an early 911 that turned out to have been spliced from 2 cars, with 3 VIN !!! BTDT, got the Tshirt... I cut my losses on that one, I hope you get to keep it...
autobroker and evermore like this.

------------------------------------------
74 GTV 2000, 73 BMW 2002, 72 911T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you have the right people on this. You are to be congratulated for that. The guy that did mine never heard of the 3rd law of motion. Sure he got the front pulled out but not before he ripped the rear jack point ka ka along with the rear trailing arm mount. It all got fixed but I had to really stay on top of that guy. Thanks for the update.

And that happened because you knew how to do bodywork and knew what to look for. Left to their own sense of "quality" that shop would have just shoved a botched and welded "frame straightened" car off on a unsuspecting regular customer who they figured wouldn't know the difference. In fact THEY didn't know the difference until you told 'em! At least they stayed with the job once you started telling them what they needed to do. I thought for a long time that they were just going to shove it out the door and write the whole thing off. Scheech.
evermore likes this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #140 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

cutting bait..

The verdict from the body shop was that they could try to pull the frame but that they were worried about causing other damage. What scared me was that the likelihood of introducing new stresses to the body panels which could then damage the paint on what is otherwise a good looking car was just too high.

Pulling the frame might work but the cost of the unintended consequences are potentially far too high to risk it. It is better to sell the car as is, a basically good vehicle for weekends and getting coffee. Alas, that's what I am looking for ;(
post #141 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

I for one will be happy to tell anyone who asks me what I think about BHCC.
autobroker likes this.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
another 74 GTV restored driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #142 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem75 View Post
I for one will be happy to tell anyone who asks me what I think about BHCC.

I am sorry to hear it. I with you, weekend ride and have some enjoyment with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #143 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:04 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
The verdict from the body shop was that they could try to pull the frame but that they were worried about causing other damage. What scared me was that the likelihood of introducing new stresses to the body panels which could then damage the paint on what is otherwise a good looking car was just too high.

Pulling the frame might work but the cost of the unintended consequences are potentially far too high to risk it. It is better to sell the car as is, a basically good vehicle for weekends and getting coffee. Alas, that's what I am looking for ;(
Good luck with the sale. You are making the right decision. Pity you could not just get your money back.

Your next one will be better

Best
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #144 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 AM

Garage
There’s actually a silver one local on cl

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #145 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Any chance you could shame/threaten BHCC into buying it back ?

post #146 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to you all

I wanted to thank you all for the advice and support given. I wasn't planning to restore a car to concourse level, just have a fun sports coupe with rust problems, you know, the Alfa experience

Budget wise (and from a wife not killing me perspective), I have to sell this car first before I can buy another. I posted it on craigslist and received a bunch of replies but you know how cl works, it's flake city.
post #147 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschodt View Post
Any chance you could shame/threaten BHCC into buying it back ?
I had to sign a waiver that I did not opt for the return policy. It was $250 but useless as it had an expiration date of 3 days, less time than it would take for the car to be shipped to my home. I think legally, there is little chance of accomplishing anything... and well, I am not completely faultless either. I have to think of it as an expensive lesson...
post #148 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinshaw View Post
There’s actually a silver one local on cl
that's probably my listing
post #149 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
I had to sign a waiver that I did not opt for the return policy. It was $250 but useless as it had an expiration date of 3 days, less time than it would take for the car to be shipped to my home. I think legally, there is little chance of accomplishing anything... and well, I am not completely faultless either. I have to think of it as an expensive lesson...
I feel for you, because as I mentioned above I had the same happen to me with a 911... I ended up selling the car with full disclosure, as a parts car, for the price of parts (the rebuilt engine alone was worth my asking price). Lost $10K on the deal, but clear conscience and a valuable lesson...

In hindsight the value of those cars having skyrocketed, I should have kept it, but each time I opened the garage i had a reminder that I got F$%$%d. I hated that. Best gone !
Good luck for the next one, sometimes buying a more $$ one is cheaper in the long run ! (another valuable lesson from my adventures in old cars)
pinshaw likes this.

post #150 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Good luck with the sale. You are making the right decision. Pity you could not just get your money back.

Your next one will be better

Best
Pete
My mistake was in being impatient and overly optimistic and overconfident. I figure I could fix any of the hard bits, engine, suspension etc. I'm a mechanical engineer after all. Turns out, that's the easy part, it's the body work, rust, frame that are the real difficult (and expensive) areas when dealing with a vintage car. Expensive lesson learned. Yes, at this point I hope I can get into a good GTV soon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode