Sunrise on my new Stepnose - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Sunrise on my new Stepnose

I've owned a lot of Alfas, and even a few GTVs, but never a Stepnose til yesterday. Bought this from Ross, CA, across the Bay in Marin.

AR*246698*, late 1966 GTV, listed by the DMV as a 67 MY car, sold new in Calif in 1968 according to the pink slip. Original black plates, original engine as far as I can tell, 00536*10526*, which accords with Fusi. ATE brakes. Car was listed here on the BB and on SF CL, looked worse in the pics than in person. 100% solid, drives great, fast. Some cosmetics are sad, nothing I can't sort. Seller had it 14 years, I have records of it in the East Bay before that back to about 1990. Seller said it was originally white, I haven't confirmed but will look.

Stock all over pretty much other than IAP springs and Konis. I'll remove the Nardi wheel today, back to original. 100K miles. Had a clutch 30K miles ago, much good work over the years at Roger's in Oakland. Most of the suspension front and rear was done in the last 25K miles. New 175 Vredesteins. Painted by Andy Schank a few years ago.

Pretty stinkin' happy. Red is not my fave color, but no question it's iconic. And this car is sooooooooo unmolested.

Andrew
Attached Images

davbert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Few more pics
Andrew
Attached Images

cucinando, tmt and LaurandSteve like this.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Woohoo. Congrats Andrew. Looking forward to seeing it in person!! Tom

My "rejuvenation" blog: http://65tomfoolery.wordpress.com
'65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT, a long way to go still….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:38 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to yvrclimber
Sunrise on my new Stepnose

Congratulations! Great to see more Stepnose Alfas out there.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

This one was a little off the radar. I didn't know the seller, he didn't use it much, he didn't come on club drives, etc. So it was kind of hidden til he put it up for sale. I was lucky to be nearby and able to look and commit on short notice.
Andrew
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

This is the time for you to yell at the top of your voice.."I'D RATHER BE LUCKY THAN GOOD!"
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Were you an F-4 pilot? You want lucky, my dad flew in WW2, Korea, Cold War, Vietnam, finishing in Korea, F-4s at Kunsan, and lived to 93.5 years. He was made of something special.
Andrew
jthames likes this.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 AM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I have more time, space, and money flexibility than I used to, but I'm still way over my limit on space. I rent three garage spaces offsite. Probably will sell a non-Alfa to make room for this. It's funny, I thought I was done with GTVs. I had a good 74 2000 for 15 years, used it for all kinds of things including many AROSC time trials. But I never had stepnose. In feel it is closer to my Super than to the 74 GTV. So I'm smitten.

Probably won't keep it forever, but I have no immediate plan to sell or need to. It's really fast for a 1600; I'd say faster than my Super, which has a good strong 1750. Brakes extremely good, suspension mostly rebuild in recent memory and good springs and shocks, so it's very hard not to enjoy driving it. Many holes in the exhaust, which is good or bad, depending on your view.

Andrew
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I have more time, space, and money flexibility than I used to, but I'm still way over my limit on space. I rent three garage spaces offsite. Probably will sell a non-Alfa to make room for this. It's funny, I thought I was done with GTVs. I had a good 74 2000 for 15 years, used it for all kinds of things including many AROSC time trials. But I never had stepnose. In feel it is closer to my Super than to the 74 GTV. So I'm smitten.

Probably won't keep it forever, but I have no immediate plan to sell or need to. It's really fast for a 1600; I'd say faster than my Super, which has a good strong 1750. Brakes extremely good, suspension mostly rebuild in recent memory and good springs and shocks, so it's very hard not to enjoy driving it. Many holes in the exhaust, which is good or bad, depending on your view.

Andrew
Congrats Andrew! And I'm serious on this - if and when you decide to sell please give me a call! I've lusted after a red Stepnose for years.

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Well, you'll not be surprised to hear the line began to form the minute I bought it. But yes, will keep in mind, thanks.
Andrew
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 AM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

Fantastic, you are on a roll with "new to you" alfa.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 PM

Nice Andrew!

Been a good month or so on the Alfa front, looks like a good honest car as they say.

A 66’ stepnose was the 2nd Alfa I purchased after my Super. Rebuilt the motor a little ‘warmish’ and threw
Some Ate brakes on it as the Dunlop’s were shot, what a great all round car that was.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Cheers.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:29 PM

Garage
Congrats Andrew! Welcome to the StepNose side! Looks like an 'honest' car. I'm a roadster/convertible guy, but my GT is my favorite car to drive. There's just something about it.
😎

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode