Sunrise on my new Stepnose - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

That one is long sold. I have another, but no hub. If you're interested send me a PM.
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

To paraphrase "Lion King," everything the light touches is Italian. My GTV, my wife's Vespa, a friend's red Super, my green Super, my red Cagiva.

Did some oil-burning diagnostics yesterday on a friend's 2000 GTV, following him around, ripping up and down hills in Berkeley to see when and how much his car smoked. Two GTVs tearing around is bound to grab some attention, and we did. So fun. I had a 74 GTV for 20 years, wish I'd moved to a Stepnose sooner.

My cousin drove this car on a July Fourth Drive a couple weeks ago, was a good day out in Marin.

Andrew
Attached Images

deepblue likes this.
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 AM

Ohhhhhh - a TR6! Italian styling that has held up well.

Some nice Alfas there too. 🙂

Figure out the oil burning? Rings or valve guide/?

1966 Giulia Sprint $500 junk yard find. I probably overpaid...
1971 1750 Spider basket case , 1972 GTV 2.0 L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

So I realize the GTV we were diagnosing is the blue one in the second pic.

It smells slightly of oil all the time but doesn't smoke noticeably on hard acceleration or normal driving. Coasting down long hills on a closed throttle, lots of blue smoke buildup, which to me says valve guides. So we'll start with a valve job, see how much, if any, improvement. Owner says it burns a quart every 200-300 miles, which is a lot. Compressions when we checked a few months ago were good, 170+. But that doesn't say anything about the oil rings. This is much like my own 200 way 20 years ago. Did a valve job but it was of minimal benefit. But my car smoked all the time. Didn't really get better til I did pistons, liners, rings.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew; 07-22-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:21 AM

Time for a leakdown?

Refresh me if you can do rings with the engine in the car? Bearings as well that that point?

post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Leakdown and compression tell you only about the compression rings. I don't think they tell you anything about the oil rings.

People do change rings in place, but I wouldn't. Will do the head, see how it is. If it needs a full rebuild, it's not very many hours wasted.

Andrew
jthames likes this.
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Ah, got it. Thanks Andrew.

post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

So the 2000 I'm building for Sean's GTV is done, have run it on the ground. Still waiting for its new actuator from Wes, and I want to run it full of water before installing it to make sure it all seals OK. The old head and the block both had corrosion from the head gasket so I want to make sure the water stays on the inside. Once I got the timing right it fired up and idled. Compression measured 150 at a slow cranking speed, oil pressure 90. So far so good. See pic.

In my GTV news, took it out for a Sonoma/Napa/Healdsburg drive yesterday with this 240Z, about 100-mile loop from Petaluma, plus about 100 miles up and back from Berkeley. Great roads, near Lake Berryessa, through Pope Valley and Angwin, back into the Napa Valley and Anderson Valley. Doing research for a future drive. Wine Country's great on a weekday when the winers aren't present. Car was flawless, fast, stable, so fun.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

There are some great roads around Berryessa. Thanks for the reminder. I might take that way home from Sears Point, tomorrow.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode