Sunrise on my new Stepnose - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Got all the old carpet out. It was installed I'm guessing when the car was painted 20 years ago. Looks like a cheap kit. Came out fine, floors etc are good, have gotten about halfway with the new carpet. The car came with the map pockets for the front kick panels, not installed. They're in now. Also has a stock ashtray/lighter for on the tunnel, I'm debating whether to install it. Here are the floors after getting all the layers of padding out. Pretty orig in here.

On the driver's side there are two outboard sets of nutplates for the seat (6 holes in all); the inner pair is used. On the pass side, only 4 holes. Anyone know why?

Andrew
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Andrew:

What sort of carpets will you be installing in your Sprint? When I restored mine ~10 years ago, I just had a local upholsterer sew up some salt-and-pepper generic carpet. Looks OK, but doesn't fit like a factory set. Every once in awhile I peruse the Classic Alfa website to admire their carpet set for the Sprint.

Quote:
On the driver's side there are two outboard sets of nutplates for the seat (6 holes in all); the inner pair is used. On the pass side, only 4 holes. Anyone know why?
Nope, can't shed any light on that. So all six holes have captive nuts, so they appear "factory"? All I can suggest is that Alfa was transistioning from narrower seats --> wider seats, didn't know exactly what body # would mark the transition, so built some bodies that could accommodate either.

The floors in my Sprint were too compromised to show this detail.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-07-2018 at 07:32 AM.
post #78 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes. The four outer holes on the driver's side have built in reinforcement pieces. But the inner pair on the outer side are nutplates, factory welded, and match the width of the normal 67-style Sprint GT Veloce seat. They are maybe an inch apart. This inner outside pair are down a step in the floor and the rear mount had a factory plastic spacer to bring it up level, maybe 3/4" tall.

Will get pics of the new grey carpet. It came from OK Parts in Germany through Jon Norman. Might or might not be what Classic Alfa and others sell; many retailers get their stuff from OK. It's more of a pile, closer to original style, but not wool and not salt n pepper. It looks to be polyester or nylon and has a sheen too it that I'm not crazy about. But it was affordable, looks much better than what was in there before, fits, and Jon was placing an order that day so it was in my hands like four days later. All in all I'm happy. Having removed them, I now thinkthe seats have original upholstery, which amazes me. I'll do them eventually, but not yet. It's four bolts each to remove, takes five minutes per side.

I typically figure a whole day to do carpets, barring other needed work. So far look on track for that. I find the rear seats have the inner pieces of the original belts. No outer pieces that I can find.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
My 66 has similar holes on the driverís side. Where are your seatbelt mounts?

Regarding carpet I thought about it a while and took Tomís advice and had Sidís make a kit for me. Iíll admit to going overboard on the interior, but after so many years of frustration and pain Iíve decided I deserve it, and despite not being 100% original, itís not too far afield from what a ďBertone LussoĒ might have looked like.

My parts book shows many different options for carpet colors for GT Veloces and while the carpet I chose is not one that Alfa would have installed, it will look nice.

Iím hoping to have the car back on Wednesday at which point I will resume interior finishing and hopefully get her on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Yes. The four outer holes on the driver's side have built in reinforcement pieces. But the inner pair on the outer side are nutplates, factory welded, and match the width of the normal 67-style Sprint GT Veloce seat. They are maybe an inch apart. This inner outside pair are down a step in the floor and the rear mount had a factory plastic spacer to bring it up level, maybe 3/4" tall.

Will get pics of the new grey carpet. It came from OK Parts in Germany through Jon Norman. Might or might not be what Classic Alfa and others sell; many retailers get their stuff from OK. It's more of a pile, closer to original style, but not wool and not salt n pepper. It looks to be polyester or nylon and has a sheen too it that I'm not crazy about. But it was affordable, looks much better than what was in there before, fits, and Jon was placing an order that day so it was in my hands like four days later. All in all I'm happy. Having removed them, I now thinkthe seats have original upholstery, which amazes me. I'll do them eventually, but not yet. It's four bolts each to remove, takes five minutes per side.

I typically figure a whole day to do carpets, barring other needed work. So far look on track for that. I find the rear seats have the inner pieces of the original belts. No outer pieces that I can find.

Andrew
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #80 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I'll take a pic today.
Andrew
post #81 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Here's the OK carpet, about half in, and the two outboard pairs of seat holes on the driver's side. Underneath, all four have the same square welded nutplates. Only the outer ones have reinforcement inside. The inner ones line up with the regular GTV seat. Curiouser and curiouser?
Andrew
Attached Images

Last edited by Andrew; 08-07-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #82 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I assume you hit that floor with some sort of rust killing primer ... or wire brushed it clean and then sealed it with paint

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #83 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Carpets are in. Happy enough. In terms of fit, the tunnel piece is a little too large at the front, and the anti-scuff area next to the gas pedal extends too far down. On the rear floor pieces, the spacing for the seat bolt holes is off by an inch or two on the rear ones, as well as off for the "inner outboard" bolt holes this car uses. Not a big deal, it's pretty much all covered by the seats.

I forgot to cut the seat belt holes beforehand but it was easy enough to find them with a scribe.

It had one seatbelt in the rear. Had two belt nutplates in the center, either side of the diff. I recall this from my 74 GTV; to put in two rear belts I had to drill holes into the wheelwells for the outer bolts. That makes the belt in stock form useful only if you're sitting on the hump. Screwy.

Of course, this now makes the seats and dash look even worse.

Andrew
Attached Images

PSk and cucinando like this.

Last edited by Andrew; 08-07-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #84 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Here's the OK carpet, about half in, and the two outboard pairs of seat holes on the driver's side. Underneath, all four have the same square welded nutplates. Only the outer ones have reinforcement inside. The inner ones line up with the regular GTV seat. Curiouser and curiouser?
Andrew
Iíve been meaning to respond to this as I have the same holes in the floor of my 66. I asked Tom Sahines about this and he said that the holes closest to the door sill were for Juniors, which used the same shell but which had different seats.

-TJ in the Cruz Mountains

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #85 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks. That's funny, that Jrs had wider seats!
Andrew
post #86 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Been using the GTV every couple weeks, it's a great driver. Recent upgrades making a new piece to get the latch to hold on the glovebox door. Which did nothing to improve the awful condition of the "wood." I also replaced the plastics overlays in the two small gauges, so now you can read what the gas level, temps, pressure, actually is. Worthwhile project but a delicate job.

Took a group out yesterday for a New Year's Day drive. About half Alfas, half oddballs from the Arcane Car club. Three GTVs, two Berlinas, a Jr Z, a Spider. Fun stuff included a Dart Swinger, Mercedes 200T wagon, Facellia, Bristol, Lotus Esprit, early Mini Cooper, and 1930s Chevy truck. We roamed along the top of the Hayward Fault from Berkeley to Castro Valley to Niles. Easy drive, nice day, clear and cold (for California). Nice harsh sunlight, a good day out.

Andrew
Attached Images

shakingthrough likes this.
post #87 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Been raining, so car hasn't been out much. Here's a totally gratuitous shot of its handsome nose yesterday, testing the headlights.
Andrew
Attached Images

goats and yvrclimber like this.
post #88 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Yep their on now lets try the directionals ;-)

Joe
post #89 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I tested them to make sure they worked. They are 70s Cibies, a friend wants them for his car so I'm trading him for Carellos. These are pre-Z beams, had these in period on various Fiats n Alfas.

Andrew
post #90 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM

i never tire of looking at that beautiful nose....

Although it always leads me back to the point, why after the 2600 Sprint, with its nicely smoothed out front, did Giugiaro/Bertone come up with the
'open bonnet' , step-front look for its smaller sibling?
The way either end has that almost 45 degree leading edge into the front lines, looks like it was almost a mistake!

I look and read a lot about cars and the Italian coachbuilders/designers and i can't recall anything that may have lead to this.

Strange...

Cheers,

Paul.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode