Sunrise on my new Stepnose - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:17 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Perhaps we should keep this thread on topic..? As in Andrew's new stepnose ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to yvrclimber
Sunrise on my new Stepnose

Or it just goes where it goes.
post #33 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Well, I'd say, if you want to feature your car, start another thread. Plenty of them available, in fact an infinite number. But I don't mind the digressions.

Got most of the immediate work done over the weekend. Exhaust is now fine, driveshaft clunks a lot less, clutch much smoother. Trans is better with more than a teaspoon of oil in it. My strong belief is the previous owner did zero maintenance in the 15 years he owned it. He also didn't drive it much, so he didn't hurt it. But all the maintenance records are from before 2000, owner before my seller, when it was worked on by Roger's Autoworks in Oakland by my friend Chris, who is good. So I trust all that work but jeez, you have to keep maintaining them. All good now.

Head gasket shows leaks down the block, will have to attend to it at some point.

Got the rest of the alarm out, a lot of wiring. Installed various body seals never put back on after the last paint job. Took it out and stormed up and down 580 yesterday, working well. Very happy to cruise 70-75, and corners very flatly.

Andrew

PS: it hailed while I was working on it yesterday, which isn't news some places, but it is here. Luckily it was smaller than a bb, not Oklahoma sized hail.
TonyRomeo and yvrclimber like this.

Last edited by Andrew; 02-27-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Congratulations Andrew!

Maybe some day mine will be back on the road and we can go for a drive.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures with your new toy.

Regards,
-tj in the Cruz Mtns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I've owned a lot of Alfas, and even a few GTVs, but never a Stepnose til yesterday. Bought this from Ross, CA, across the Bay in Marin.

AR*246698*, late 1966 GTV, listed by the DMV as a 67 MY car, sold new in Calif in 1968 according to the pink slip. Original black plates, original engine as far as I can tell, 00536*10526*, which accords with Fusi. ATE brakes. Car was listed here on the BB and on SF CL, looked worse in the pics than in person. 100% solid, drives great, fast. Some cosmetics are sad, nothing I can't sort. Seller had it 14 years, I have records of it in the East Bay before that back to about 1990. Seller said it was originally white, I haven't confirmed but will look.

Stock all over pretty much other than IAP springs and Konis. I'll remove the Nardi wheel today, back to original. 100K miles. Had a clutch 30K miles ago, much good work over the years at Roger's in Oakland. Most of the suspension front and rear was done in the last 25K miles. New 175 Vredesteins. Painted by Andy Schank a few years ago.

Pretty stinkin' happy. Red is not my fave color, but no question it's iconic. And this car is sooooooooo unmolested.

Andrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #35 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I almost always buy projects, a cheapskate by birth and inclination. I fell into a good Berlina and then was first man in on this one. Two cars I don't really have to rebuild or even work on much; I don't know how to handle it.

Andrew
alfa_corsa and horsewidower like this.
post #36 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Discovered a few things:
* Has adjustable upper arms, which I didn't realize.
* Did a compression test, all 175-185, so that's good, and it doesn't smoke noticeably. #4 was a bit oil fouled (plug could literally be 15 years old though).
* Good runs of oil down the block on the exhaust side, so it's head gasket time. Will get to it soon. If anything looks amiss, will give head to Norman to review.

Andrew
yvrclimber likes this.
post #37 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

So why mess around? Pulled off the head today. A couple o-rings are deformed from age and most are leaking; it's probably decades since this head was off. It's been cut .005" and everything looks good, but I'll give to Norman to check over. Changed the upper timing chain, will see whether I want to do anything with the carbs other than clean them. They work well. Stock cams, timing, carbs, pistons. No apparent reason why it's fast other than just a good 'un.

Engine is filthy from oil leaks down both sides of the block, and the residue from when it was painted, which never got cleaned. Yuck. Will spic 'n span a bit.

Mercifully, head came off with no struggle. I have had and lost epics fights against corroded stud holes in heads. This car appears to have had antifreeze consistently.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #38 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Is the black paint coming off in the engine compartment; or was only the top half painted ? I like white GT..'s
post #39 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Some of each. It wasn't well applied there. I'm not going to repaint the car white, though I do regret it was ever changed, 25+ years ago.
Andrew
post #40 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Took head to Norman, tested the seal of the valves, it's fine. So it's going to get a lightest possible skim and go back on.

Changed brake booster and MC, just started the bleeding process. I seem to do this on virtually every car. The brakes felt great, super high pedal, but it was clear from looking that no work had been done in literally decades. MC was an actual ATE unit, leaking past the boot, and once I popped open the booster, the chamber on the hydraulic side was, as is common, half-full of fluid. Got a new MC from Classic Alfa, and my new Berlina came with an extra booster, so it went onto this car. The pressure line from the MC to the booster was utterly frozen in the MC; twisted and broke off, so I made a new end. We'll see if it leaks!

Andrew
Attached Images

cucinando likes this.
post #41 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Brakes in, bled, pedal feels good. Apparently my newly made bubble flare works <smiley>.

Got the head back from Norman. Mike checked and it was .010" thicker at one end than the other, which I've never seen but he says is not uncommon with loosey goosey surfacing. So we had to cut a tad more than expected to get it square. It's fine, put it on the block and turned over, no piston/head interference with no head gasket, so the clearance is fine. Now all the compression ratios will be the same.

I have an Alquati A32 intake cam I'm hoping to use, but the lobes are thissssss close to the tappet bores, which I'm not going to machine. So I need to see if I can use as is, chamfer the lobes a hair, or stick with stock.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #42 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Talked to Mike at Norman. He doesn't think the Alquati cam is too much for stock springs, and he says they use a grinder for corners of cam lobes if very close to the tappet bores, though realistically any clearance is usually enough. I took my Dremel to those, ground a tiny amount off and deburred. Stock Alfa cams have the same appearance there. So forging ahead, ready to set the intake clearances. Exhaust is already done.
Andrew
Attached Images

cucinando likes this.
post #43 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Great photo! Dang it, gimme my Nikon F2 back.
Andrew
post #44 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

OK, car is back together and working. Brakes are excellent, though they were before too.

No issues on the head/cam installation. I had to go toward the torque end of the lobe center setting on the Alquati intake cam to get sufficient valve/piston clearance, but I'd planned to do that anyway. Clearance is .016, lobe center is about 110. Exhaust is stock 10502 cam, set at stock 102. It's both torquey and revvy. I'm not a hard driver normally, but this thing is at 4500 before you know it. Zings right along.

Rear carb is not idling great, the works fine right off idle. Was fine before, I didn't do anything to it, but obviously something's not right. So some fiddling needed. But it runs like stink. With the head skim I have more compression, though I didn't measure it.

See cool cam cover. When I got it I thought maybe it was mag, but it's not, just a funny dark sand cast, I guess, alum. 10502 PN, no front tangs but has a vent, so must be 65-66 when the front tangs came in. The rough undefined Alfa script is much like the mag covers on GTAs. I've never seen another one like this.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #45 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:16 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Rear carb is not idling great, the works fine right off idle. Was fine before...
Possibly an air leak that wasn't there before. Two ideas:

- A flex mount developed a crack in the disassembly-reassembly process.

- The bottom edge of the intake manifold interferes with the block now that the head has been milled a bit. It's tight at the top, so you don't have a water leak. Some filing on the manifold will solve this, but diagnosing it will be the hard part.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode