Viva AR-66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Viva AR-66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

This serves as the final thread regarding the rebirth of my beloved 1966 Alfa Romeo GT Sprint Veloce. Apologies for starting multiple threads over the years, but it has been so long and so far in between making any progress on the repair of the car that months would pass with no progress. I searched for earlier threads that I'd started and didn't find any germane to my Giulia in the past year or two so I felt it best to start this one, which should remain relevant and refreshed until the car is back together.

As a refresher, AR242922 was being driven by my wife as she followed me in our Giulietta Spider Veloce during AlfaCalifornia 2013 when it was rear-ended by a distracted teen age girl. The months and years that have passed since have been painful to say the least.

IMG_7510 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

Add to this pain is the fact that my 1900C SS, the restoration of which began before the Giulia was smashed, was completely butchered by Shin Yoshikawa, who charged me $40,000 and then returned it to me covered in body filler, panes of new metal lap welded over old.

Final result. by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

_TJN1479 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

The next fabricator did little to the car other than store it and begin the process of constructing a wooden buck for the front end. After two years and another $15,000 down the drain I took the car back and it's now getting proper attention at Nicks Old Car Specialty in Redlands, CA.

IMG_7090 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

IMG_0494 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

The work that has been done on Renzo is the car is called has been some of the best metal work I have ever witnessed. The welder, fabricator and body man who has been doing the work has only a few shortcomings, none of them related to his absolutely impeccable standards, work ethic, and ability. If anything the attention there's been almost too much attention to the smallest detail. This wouldn't be a problem, (after all, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly), if it hadn't taken over 4 years to get the car to its current state, which I'm happy to report is in the paint booth! I am cautiously optimistic that the car will be back in my garage in the next month.

IMG_20180131_200324267 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

The car is being painted in Cobalt Blue, the color that it was when it left the factory. The interior will be light brown (camel) and the car will be essentially as close to OE in appearance as possible.

I am trying to get a legend for where seam sealer was used at the factory and am curious if one exists. If you have or have seen such a diagram I would be grateful if you would share it. If I can't find one I'll just have the painter use his best judgement on where to apply the sealer prior to paint.

Much more to come soon!

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mountains

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
DHL just delivered a box from Classic Alfa, with whom I've had great experiences in the past. I'm happy to say that the success continues, with the parts I bought all of high quality and in excellent condition upon arrival. What's even more impressive is that I placed my order with them on Monday, February 12th, and they just arrived at my house in the Santa Cruz Mountains (Northern California) today, Thursday the 15th. Classic Alfa as you probably know is in the United Kingdom. 'Nuff said.

On to my continuing restoration, as I await the return of the body from paint I've been organizing parts and getting ready for assembly. My dashboard is in need of restoration as the wood "veneer" is peeling off and faded. Years ago I'd contacted JustDashes in Southern California and at that time they were still restoring these Veloce only dashes. I called them to discuss the job and I was disappointed to hear that they do not do this particular job any more.

I've asked before and not gotten any responses but I'll try again. How many Veloce owners out there have restored their dashes to original appearance, or had someone do it for them? I'd be grateful if you could share with me how you restored this part. I once again submit that it is the hardest part on the GT Veloce to restore.

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns
JJr likes this.

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #3 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM
JJr

Garage
I'd contact TFB3, see his dash resto post #26 http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...oration-2.html

Regarding the pics of your rear-ended GTV, I can only look once and imagine how I would feel. Good luck with the new resto, I'll be watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thank you, sadly TFB3's dash is the later style, which is relatively easy to restore.

The wood "tape" veneer was only used on 66 and 67 Veloce models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJr View Post
I'd contact TFB3, see his dash resto post #26 http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...oration-2.html

Regarding the pics of your rear-ended GTV, I can only look once and imagine how I would feel. Good luck with the new resto, I'll be watching.
Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #5 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to cucinando
Calling kempton to the thread. Here's the result on his '66 dash: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...ml#post7740426

Gavin Cooke
'66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (project
)
post #6 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 05:49 AM

Kempton here, I have some info on the 66 gtv dash resto. I will pm alfa corso and make a few comments later today.
alfa_corsa likes this.
post #7 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 06:05 AM

On the dash resto, I used METRORESTYLING CHERRY TEAK , although it isn't the exact look of the original. With the gauges in and the black vinyl , it looks NICE. I wasn't aware of another manufacturer in Europe that has close to the exact finish as the original. I may have gone that route, just didn't know. I did not do the resto as I can barely open a car door! I can get the a b cs on how it went down. Fibreglass on the backside to firm up, peeling off original faux wood grain, removing old glue. Heat was used to SHAPE the new vinyl. We had a millwright make up the aluminum rings for the gauges. The gauges needed some hand work re MOTHERS POLISH to remove some light pitting. They looked as new after a few hours of muscle work. I can look up the Europeon co. re faux wood grain if needed. I got it from bb. Metrorestyling has a WALNUT finish that is close to original. My choice is slightly lighter more of a red tinge than walnut, but still looks the part.
All of above is what I remember. I have 4 yrs of rough notes to go back on if required and I can speak to my guy on the exact steps he took in the process. I hope this helps a bit. I will pm alfa corso.
alfa_corsa likes this.
post #8 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
alfa_corsa,

Great to here this GT is nearly back to complete again. BTW if you are going for originality then she would be blue underneath not black, and maybe it already is as I do not know if Cobalt blue is very dark blue ... and I'm not great with colours ... sigh

Best
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 02-16-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #9 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks to all who have responded with encouragement and valuable information, especially Kempton (Larry). I managed to find FolienCenter24's website and Facebook page and am going to order the wrap to see if my friend who does vehicle wraps can help with installation.

I'll report back with my results when I'm done.

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #10 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 PM

I know getting it wrinkle free takes ...some...skill. There are several good choices out there. That wood grain will highlight the interior .Once complete its an impressive looking dash re Italian gauges, black dash pad, faux wood grain...nice offsets. Personally I wish they had the wood grain as a veneer wood grain, but it is what it is ..new...it looks the part. Good luck
post #11 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to cucinando
OK we are just talking about 3M DI-NOC here, right? We discussed this here. I don't think you need to go to Germany to source it...

I never did hear back from pancho... he seems to have left the building. ;-)

Gavin Cooke
'66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (project
)
post #12 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks Gavin,

I agree that we should not need to source a product made by a North American company (3M) from Germany. I have a friend who owns a vehicle wrap business and is going to cross check the part number with his North American distributor this week.

I’ll report back with my findings.

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns.

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #13 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Pete,

She is indeed blue underneath, although I've heard from reputable sources that the factory finish was black undercoating which was not masked before they applied the body color to the rest of the car, resulting in overspray.

For numerous reasons this car will not be 100% original or concours. The extreme measures we had to take to save the car, combined with the very inconvenient timing (concurrent with me attempting a Pebble Beach quality restoration of the 1900C SS) mandate cutting some corners, at least for now. The bills from the body shop for the 1900 are intimidating and so my budget will require me to install some parts which have not been restored (suspension, interior, etc.). After almost 5 years on the Giulia, almost 7 on the 1900, a new home purchase and various other life changes I have to get the Giulia back together. I can go back later and do some of the things I'm neglecting now. It's not an ideal situation, but no expense or attention to the highest standard of work have been spared on the body.

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
alfa_corsa,

Great to here this GT is nearly back to complete again. BTW if you are going for originality then she would be blue underneath not black, and maybe it already is as I do not know if Cobalt blue is very dark blue ... and I'm not great with colours ... sigh

Best
Pete

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #14 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As I await the return of the Giulia from paint I’m getting the shop ready and working on the plan for assembly.

242922 was originally painted Medium Cobalt Blue at the factory in Arese, but I don’t know what color the interior was. Presumably it was black, but it could have been brown (Cinghiale). I have no reason to believe that the interior was leather, but I have decided when I reupholster the interior, the seats themselves will be.

I have read of the “Bertone Lusso” model which apparently was an option when these cars were new, and my parts book indicates that in addition to cloth and vinyl, leather was also an option for the seats and even door panels. I’ve never seen an early 105 with original leather interior, and I’m not such a stickler for originality that I consider it a crime to use the material on the seats of my car, but I’d love to see a photo of what leather seats looked like from the factory. I would like to replicate whatever the style would have been, presumably the same pattern used on the Texalfa seats, but in leather, and obviously without the basket weave pattern.

Here in Northern California it’s warm enough year ‘round that a car without AC is not a lot of fun to drive. Having the back of your shirt soaked with sweat when you drive is unpleasant and uncomfortable.

Does anyone have photos of known original leather seats on GT Veloce models that they can share?

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #15 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa View Post
Pete,

She is indeed blue underneath, although I've heard from reputable sources that the factory finish was black undercoating which was not masked before they applied the body color to the rest of the car, resulting in overspray.
Interesting and I don't agree with your reputable sources. Have a look at sales brochures and production line photos. If that was just overspray in the inner wheel wells then I wish they had just oversprayed my Alfa instead of painting it supposedly properly

I do believe though that some dealers added black undercoating as we on this site have talked about that for American cars are few times, so maybe that is confusing your reputable sources. The original Alfa undercoating was quite thin.

Best, and I'm very glad to see this lovely Giulia soon to be back on the road.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode