Viva AR-66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa View Post
I'm in need of a few random parts. If you're holding and willing to part with them please let me know. I'm in Northern California

The first are the big bolts with the castellated nuts that hold the pivot bar for the lower a-arm to the bottom of the engine cross member. They have heads made to fit in to the boss through which they pass. I need (2) for one side.

This is the front one, I believe the one at the rear is shaped a little differently.

IMG_8642 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns
The bolts your are after have the same part number , but I have seen two slightly different styles.

Gone: 1970 GTV 1750 S2, 1990 164, 1991 75TS, 2000 2.0 GTV 1x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT
Current: 2006 166 V6, 1 x 1965 Giulia Sprint GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:59 PM

Re: Transmission bolt - you haven't switched it for the similar looking items in a rear trailing arm?
I'm not certain of relative diameters, but can't think of anywhere else on the car with similar style bolts.
post #78 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Hi Ranz,

No, it's not the trailing arm bolt....I've already got those installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Re: Transmission bolt - you haven't switched it for the similar looking items in a rear trailing arm?
I'm not certain of relative diameters, but can't think of anywhere else on the car with similar style bolts.
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I am unclear as to how these components get installed. My belief is that both get installed from inside the cockpit with the black plate on top. I assume some silicone sealant is used between all to keep water and moisture out.

So this piece first.

IMG_8734 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

And then this one?

IMG_8735 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

Can anyone offer any other advice?

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #80 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 PM

the first top plate goes from the engine bay side, and the cover (second pic) goes idd from the inside
post #81 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
the first top plate goes from the engine bay side, and the cover (second pic) goes idd from the inside
I take it back, it goes everything from the inside of the car
post #82 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:57 AM

Hi TJ,
It looks like board member Delllta has some rear bump stop spacers for sale -- here is the post
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7905681-post15.html
They are from a Spider and they look a little bit thicker than the ones on my 1750 GTV. Hard to say whether they would work with your car. But may be worth a try.

1969 GTV 1750, 1987 Milano Gold, 1988 Milano Verde, 1975 Alfetta GT
post #83 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Yeah I thought so. Thanks for clarifying your response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
I take it back, it goes everything from the inside of the car

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #84 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
While I continue to wait for the doors, decklid and hood to arrive from the painter (heís going to hang them and cut and polish them in my shop) Iím making incremental advances on getting the car back together. Itís sometimes challenging as itís been over 4 years since I took her apart, and that combined with a move, and the selling of my 67 has made it sometimes tricky to find or re-fit parts. Iíve either lost, misplaced, or accidentally sent a few of the parts for Renzo to the buyer of the 67, so that occasionally causes me strife.

Right now Iím trying to understand how the transmission cross brace that I have does not fit the car. The spacing of the holes (transversely) is off, so the brace is obviously bent. The question is, where is the one I took off the car?

Questions

1-can anyone shed light on where the engine ground strap attaches to the body? There are two tabs on my transmission tunnel, one on the driverís side (LHD drive car) and another larger one on the passenger side. I believe that itís the passenger side tab as I seem to recall that the ground strap attaches to one of the starter bolts. Does that sound right?

2-I canít recall how I have installed the front coil springs before. Thereís not much room there and with stock spec springs that thing needs to be compressed quite a bit. Do regular style spring compressors work for this job?

Iím hoping to get the front suspension installed in the next week or so, and then the gearbox, driveshaft and exhaust before I do the wiring harness. Then sheíll go to the upholsterer for a carpet kit and headliner.

ciao!

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #85 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Here are a couple of photos of my ground strap from when I took everything apart.

Tom
Attached Images

My "rejuvenation" blog: http://65tomfoolery.wordpress.com
'65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT, a long way to go stillÖ.
post #86 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Tom,

Thank you. Do you know what the tab on the driverís side is for? Do you recall removing a cable from it?

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #87 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 AM

I'm not sure exactly which tab you are referring to. The only think I can think of off-hand is the place where the return spring for the throttle linkage hooks on. Is that the area you are talking about or something else?
Attached Images

My "rejuvenation" blog: http://65tomfoolery.wordpress.com
'65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT, a long way to go stillÖ.
post #88 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Tom,

Ah yes! Once again youíve answered my question. Thank you!

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #89 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I would like to install a period correct AM/FM radio in Renzo, most likely one with an iPhone input jack. I know there are several online suppliers of the head unit but my bigger problem is what kind of antenna to install and where to install it. I really hate to install one on the front or rear fenders. BMW E9s (CS, CSI, CSL) had a really nice antenna option which mounted to the a-pillar which kept them protected from damage, and integrated with the body lines very nicely and unobtrusively.

Iím curious if anyone has installed such an antenna on their Giulia and if so, where you sourced it. Iíd love to know if you encountered any trouble with the install. This is something I should have tackled before she got painted, but....well, you know.

ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #90 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa View Post
1-can anyone shed light on where the engine ground strap attaches to the body? There are two tabs on my transmission tunnel, one on the driver’s side (LHD drive car) and another larger one on the passenger side. I believe that it’s the passenger side tab as I seem to recall that the ground strap attaches to one of the starter bolts. Does that sound right?
Yes, that is correct. One of the engine-bellhousing studs connects to the other end of the strap.

Quote:
2-I can’t recall how I have installed the front coil springs before. There’s not much room there and with stock spec springs that thing needs to be compressed quite a bit. Do regular style spring compressors work for this job?
I think you will find that most commercial spring compressors interfere with other parts of the front suspension. Lots written on the BB about using two lengths of threaded rod between the spring pan and lower arms to compress the front springs.

Quote:
BMW E9s (CS, CSI, CSL) had a really nice antenna option which mounted to the a-pillar which kept them protected from damage, and integrated with the body lines very nicely and unobtrusively.
As a long-time BMW e9 owner, I don't think the type of antenna you are referring to was a common feature on e9's. Like on the Alfas that were their contemporaries, BMW e9 radios were dealer-installed. Some came with their antenna on the LF fender, some on the RR, etc., but typically these were the simple, mast-style.

I can envision the type of antenna you are referring to - mounted to the LH windshield pillar. Might those have come on 2002's like in the photos below? A quick look at BMW parts suppliers (2002haus, Pelican) didn't turn up anything, but someone must offer a replacement antenna of this type. No reason it wouldn't work on an Alfa GT, and would be period correct.

A hidden, electronic antenna is another choice. From my experience, these have weaker reception than an ugly old mast, but I'm sure radio signals are super strong there in the Santa Cruz Mountains (ha ha).

Nakagtv likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-17-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode