Viva AR-66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - Page 28 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #406 of 411 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:50 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Copper nickel is what it probably is. Plain copper work hardens ...
Pete
alfa_corsa likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 411 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
It's been some time since I've posted about Renzo. We had a nice time in Carmel for Car Week and enjoyed showing her on the lawn at Concorso Italiano.

My brake issue has returned. I will likely have to pursue buying and installing the later style master cylinder. I haven't had much energy to worry about it as since my return from Carmel I went to visit my 1900C SS which will be ready to pick up in the next few weeks and so I've been focusing on getting ready for that happy reunion.

Ciao!

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #408 of 411 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As I mentioned in my last post, Renzo's brakes started acting up again. I figured I was still fighting air bubbles. I want to get a few things tidied up because the 1900 is supposed to come home next week and I won't have room or time in the shop to work on them once that happens, so today she went up on jackstands. I'm not sure if I'm happy or pissed that the **** master cylinder is leaking internally. Brake fluid is leaking through the piston/seal/bore and dripping out the rubber boot, so that's why the brake pedal was doing its old tricks again.

Thankfully I have the previous MC and since I am pretty sure the root cause was a loose fitting I reinstalled it.

While I'm under the car I've removed the drive shaft to replace the guibo, and pulled the output flange so I can replace the rear flange oil seal which was leaking transmission oil.

I hope to have her all buttoned up tomorrow and will report back on whether or not I was successful.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns
PSk likes this.

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #409 of 411 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:12 AM

Garage
So when are you opening up an Alfa only workshop Brakes a speciality.

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #410 of 411 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As soon as they figure out how to use bourbon for hydraulic fluid. Man I hate Dot 4 brake fluid like poison. I'd rather bathe in 90W gear oil than have to deal with brake fluid. It's just nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydaman View Post
So when are you opening up an Alfa only workshop Brakes a speciality.

-tj

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #411 of 411 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Turns out that perhaps the 8th or 9th time is a charm.

Following the failure of one of the four brake master cylinders I bought I decided to take the opportunity to tackle a couple things I'd been wanting to take care of. I removed the failed MC, the driveshaft and the transmission output flange. I replaced the output flange seal, the guibo and replaced the MC with another new one I had in the shop that I had assumed was bad, before realizing I had a air leak in one of the fittings.

I put everything back together, bled the brakes, and with some cautious optimism I'll say "hallelujah!" The brake pedal is firm all the time (no pumping up) and the new guibo seems to have quelled the nasty vibration/resonance I'd been experiencing. I haven't driven her on the freeway yet but so far it seems much better. I know there are a couple different styles of guibos and the one that I removed was old, but apparently are known to be too stiff. It was the one with the pressed steel inserts rather than the cast aluminum ones. I sourced the replacement from Centerline.

In any event, but for a few minor items, still the seatbelts and a few other things, Renzo is running well and hopefully will take a back seat to the Super Sprint which is supposed to come home next week.

But for the threat of wildfires this is one of the most pleasant times of years for driving here in the Bay Area, so I'll get out and run 'er a little before the rains come.

Happy Weekend everyone!

-tj in the Cruz Mtn
JJr and joegt3cup like this.

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode