Viva AR-66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Pete,

I don't have a strong opinion regarding the matter but regardless, my painter is doing it like this.

This photo is of a later (1750) model so they may have changed their practice from when our cars were built. Someone here sent me this, I don't recall who, but it's hard to imagine that the undercoating was done after the body color had been shot.

157085 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

This is what I gave my painter and as you can see, he followed this practice almost perfectly.

IMG_20180201_151336948 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

Again, I'm not overly concerned about it. I do care about doing things properly, but this is not going to be a concours car and I'd rather have it be relatively quiet and look good than be 100% original (assuming any of us even knows what that is).

Thanks for your kind words and feedback!

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Interesting and I don't agree with your reputable sources. Have a look at sales brochures and production line photos. If that was just overspray in the inner wheel wells then I wish they had just oversprayed my Alfa instead of painting it supposedly properly

I do believe though that some dealers added black undercoating as we on this site have talked about that for American cars are few times, so maybe that is confusing your reputable sources. The original Alfa undercoating was quite thin.

Best, and I'm very glad to see this lovely Giulia soon to be back on the road.
Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
You are doing it correct (IMO), you just spray colour after the undercoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa
... but it's hard to imagine that the undercoating was done after the body color had been shot.
Exactly. I believe it wasn't, it was done before

Here is a factory photo:

Think of the production line ...
1. Shell was welded up
2. Maybe dipped ???
3. Undercoating/sound deadener done
4. Primer
5. Colour sprayed
6. Assembly started ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 02-19-2018 at 10:31 AM.
post #18 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to cucinando
We've been over this question before, including here.

Body colour everywhere from the factory.

Gavin Cooke
'66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (project
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Agreed.

I haven't checked the above link and I hate to open yet another can of worms but I'm fairly convinced the cars were painted with doors, hood, and trunk lid attached (the above photo seems to support this).

My painter says there's no way they could have done so, but again, it matters not.

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Quote:
You are doing it correct (IMO), you just spray colour after the undercoat.

Exactly. I believe it wasn't, it was done before

Here is a factory photo:

Think of the production line ...
1. Shell was welded up
2. Maybe dipped ???
3. Undercoating/sound deadener done
4. Primer
5. Colour sprayed
6. Assembly started ...
Pete

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #20 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 PM
PSk

Your painter is wrong. In fact I believe ALL cars (not just Alfa Romeos but Toyotas, GM, you name it) are painted with the doors, bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) lid attached.

That does not mean that the inside of such things as doors are not painted earlier in the process, but most definitely the final external paint job is always done with everything bolted on. I've watched TV programs of car factories showing Porsches, Camaros, etc. going through the paint booth ... bonnet, doors and boot lid all attached.

The manufacturers do not care if there is no paint on the bolted surfaces that will never normally be seen, ie. where door hinges bolt to door pillars. Heck Alfa Romeo back in the 70's did not care if there was no paint on the body shell behind the dashboard ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #21 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I agree 100%.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Quote:
Your painter is wrong. In fact I believe ALL cars (not just Alfa Romeos but Toyotas, GM, you name it) are painted with the doors, bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) lid attached.

That does not mean that the inside of such things as doors are not painted earlier in the process, but most definitely the final external paint job is always done with everything bolted on. I've watched TV programs of car factories showing Porsches, Camaros, etc. going through the paint booth ... bonnet, doors and boot lid all attached.

The manufacturers do not care if there is no paint on the bolted surfaces that will never normally be seen, ie. where door hinges bolt to door pillars. Heck Alfa Romeo back in the 70's did not care if there was no paint on the body shell behind the dashboard ...
Pete

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #22 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 PM

Alfa_corsa,
So your sprayed under seal is white, or blue, in that picture?
It looks to my old eyes like the blue is lumpy/textured under seal, and not the white, which looks nice and smooth.
The black in the diagram shown in post 16 shows where the underspray should be laid. Your painter hasn't reversed it has he?
If your under seal is indeed white, I agree with other posters to overcoat it again with your Cobalt Blue.
Forgive me if it's just my eyesight..and I'll get back in my box.... :-(
post #23 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Ranz,

Several things contributed to the confusion you're experiencing. First of all, my painter used two kinds of undercoating on the car. One is "rocker shutz" and that's what you see with blue paint over it, and the pebbled texture. I only posted a photo of the blue with the rocker shutz but not a photo of the sections with the "body sealer/sound damper" that is seen in the parts diagram. Here's a photo of that section. Notice that it's not textured like the parts painted blue.

IMG_20180203_210510924 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

So again, this deviates from the original finish that Alfa Romeo applied in the factory, as they didn't use rocker shutz.

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Alfa_corsa,
So your sprayed under seal is white, or blue, in that picture?
It looks to my old eyes like the blue is lumpy/textured under seal, and not the white, which looks nice and smooth.
The black in the diagram shown in post 16 shows where the underspray should be laid. Your painter hasn't reversed it has he?
If your under seal is indeed white, I agree with other posters to overcoat it again with your Cobalt Blue.
Forgive me if it's just my eyesight..and I'll get back in my box.... :-(

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #24 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 PM

'Bang. Click.'
(That's the lid of the box closing over my head, after I climbed back in.)
Thanks for explaining.
post #25 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Not at all necessary to climb back in the box! Your question was a completely valid one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
'Bang. Click.'
(That's the lid of the box closing over my head, after I climbed back in.)
Thanks for explaining.
Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #26 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:24 AM

such a pretty giulia ... breaks my heart to see that. surprisingly common accident too with the low tail, dim brake lamps and the distracted drivers now in tall suv's
post #27 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
such a pretty giulia ... breaks my heart to see that. surprisingly common accident too with the low tail, dim brake lamps and the distracted drivers now in tall suv's
Distracted driver is the issue.

I enjoy driving my 156v6 (was going to say Alfa's, but then realised you guys would laugh at me as the 1750 hasn't been driven for er, a while) but you do have to watch the rear view all the time ... stressful and there is only so much you can do. And I'm sure in this cars case there was nothing that could be done to prevent the distracted driver making contact ... but moving on to the positive, she's been fixed (pity it's not the distracted driver though that is being fixed )
Pete
JJr likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 02-21-2018 at 09:37 AM.
post #28 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The woman that rear-ended our Giulia was most likely on her phone....there's simply no way she could have been looking through the front window and run in to our car. That she had it in her hand when she exited her car was pretty damning, but sadly despite assurances from law enforcement and our attorney that she could be found guilty of negligence, no such charges ever materialized. Adding insult to injury was the fact that she honestly believed the accident was not her fault.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #29 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I continue to wait for my Giulia to return from the paint shop (it's probably going to be at least 2 more weeks) but as I do I'm getting other things accomplished as well.

Yesterday I dropped off the seats, door panels, dash cap and parcel tray cover at Sid's Upholstery in Mtn. View, for re-upholstering. I've decided that comfort is more important than originality and am having the seats (and door panels) covered in leather. Here in the Bay Area it gets too hot to drive around in a car without AC, and I do not like the sweaty shirt back syndrome. As Giulias could be ordered with leather interior (Bertone Lusso I believe it was called) it's not an anachronism to have Renzo's interior made of the stuff. I've chosen a dark tan color that I believe to be close to the Cinghiale upholstery that Alfa used BITD.

As the door panels that were in the car were repops (the door panels anway, not the rear panels) I am in need of the chrome strips that are "stapled" on. The repop panels have the pieces melded in to the plastic and they're not usable. Has anyone found a source for these pieces?

Also, I bought a reproduction cigarette lighter/ash tray holder (the black plastic piece) but can't figure out how to remove the lighter portion. Has anyone done this job and if so can you explain how to take the lighter apart?

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
post #30 of 411 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_corsa View Post
Also, I bought a reproduction cigarette lighter/ash tray holder (the black plastic piece) but can't figure out how to remove the lighter portion. Has anyone done this job and if so can you explain how to take the lighter apart?
There is a clip underneath that needs to be removed first. It is for the ground wire. Then the lighter slides straight out.
Attached Images

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

www.montreal.alfa-male.com

Last edited by alfa2go; 02-28-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode