GTV Heat Shield - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

GTV Heat Shield

Having recently fitted an a/c system to my 105 I thought it was time to do a heat shield mod to protect my new a/c hose lines, reduce the heat drying out the tacho and speedo cables, reduce the heat drying out the steering idler and also less heat soaking into the brake boosters and hoses.

I purchased some aluminium heat shield from Merlin sports in the UK (because everything is always cheaper overseas compared to here in West Australia!), got some galvanised bracket plate from our hardware depot and pop riveted it to the back of the heat shield to provide a stiffer backing plate.

(not seeing insert all on manage attachments so sorry cannot insert pictures between text)

The next pic shows I removed one of the bolts on my LHD bank plate and screwed a longer one back towards the engine bay, put a spacer and washer on it so that it is a mount point for the heat shield against the fire wall. I wanted the heat shield to also reduce the exhaust manifold soaking heat into the LHS of the firewall so needed to create an air gap between the heat shield and the firewall.

The next pic shows I used the front suspension support bolt as an anchoring point for the front part of the heat shield and the top of it is supported by a hose clamp attached to the brake booster.

The last pic shows the air gap on both sides of the shield so that hopefully the exhaust manifold heat can still be channeled down under neath the car and the less hot air on the other side of the shield gets taken away through the bonnet outlet gaps........I am sure this will reduce the heat affected areas better than not having the shield and it is very easy to fit and remove!
Attached Images

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Garage
Very nice. Great timing as I'm thinking I need one soon.

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Just an update having now done a few runs in the past couple of days, I can verify that the heat shield does work.

After a long run while the car was at idle, I used the mark one temperature sensor (my hand) and carefully put my hand down on either side of the shield. The heat on the exhaust side is intense, yet I could leave my hand comfortably on the other (protected side) of the shield.

So yes it does stop cooking pipes, brake fittings, hoses etc....

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode